2010-11 Premier league table with No Ref errors.

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 3K
It's not 50% but there's still a chance he will not score.

I usually lurk, but this one had me interested. How is it not 50% he will not score?

Sure you either score or don't, right? 50/50. Taking in goalkeepers skill, penalty takers skill, so on, so forth. Or am I missing something?

I usually lurk, but this one had me interested. How is it not 50% he will not score?

Sure you either score or don't, right? 50/50. Taking in goalkeepers skill, penalty takers skill, so on, so forth. Or am I missing something?

'keeper can only dive one specific way, there's roughly 6 equal spots a penalty taker can hit (There's more, but for the sake of simplicity..) Top left, bottom left, top centre etc. so there's a 1/6 chance of the 'keeper saving it. Then add on the probability the shooter misses completely, then reduce all of that by penalty takers skill. By your logic, 1 in 2 free kicks should go in and 1 in 2 shots on open goal should miss. :)

this is stupid. i will use the example of neville not getting sent off at WBA. how do you know how the game would have mapped out if neville got sent off?

According to wikipedia (i know it's not the most reliable of things, but it's a handy statistic), a German professor studied penalty kicks in the Bundesliga for 16 years, and calculated that 76% of penalty kicks were scored. Also, there were 78 penalty kicks taken during FA Premier League 2005-06 season, 57 resulted in a goal, meaning almost 30% of the penalties were unsuccessful (70% were), so if you compare the 2 leagues, you're talking roughly 70-80% of kicks are scored... meaning 1/5 of penalties are missed... that seems a pretty accurate statistic to me.

Back