2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Draw

Northern Ireland and Russia in our group.. Should qualify but could prove to be tricky.

Also, if I'm correct one of Spain and France will not qualify as they are in the 5 team group, meaning the runner up doesn't go into the play-off...

Northern Ireland and Russia in our group.. Should qualify but could prove to be tricky.

Also, if I'm correct one of Spain and France will not qualify as they are in the 5 team group, meaning the runner up doesn't go into the play-off...

France will just go on strike beforehand this time then. ;)

I'm not 100% sure, but there was a team in the last World Cup qualifiers who had more points than some of the teams in the runner-up playoffs, but weren't allowed to be in the qualifiers due to them being in the group with less teams.. Dad seems to think it was Denmark but I'm pretty sure it wasn't..

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I'm not 100% sure, but there was a team in the last World Cup qualifiers who had more points than some of the teams in the runner-up playoffs, but weren't allowed to be in the qualifiers due to them being in the group with less teams.. Dad seems to think it was Denmark but I'm pretty sure it wasn't..

Forget that, my dad was wrong. Norway were 2nd in the smaller group last time round and had just 10 points from 8 games, same as Scotland.

But I am right in that runner up in the smaller group doesn't qualify for the play-off, meaning one of France or Spain will definitely not be in Brazil 2014.

Up the Wales. Not a bad group for us, Belgium is the only side I'm unhappy with.

Is it me, or do we always seem to play Poland & Ukraine? What a boring draw for us....Group A looks like a tough group.

Damnit, really hard group for Belarus, especially considering it's the small one, we'll have to finish above both Spain and France to qualify, we can do it! :wub:

England, meh, pretty easy group should qualify wongt get complacent yadeyadeyah

ireland could do it, just have to get past the swedes, then get a decent playoff draw. still, it won't be done!

Damnit, really hard group for Belarus, especially considering it's the small one, we'll have to finish above both Spain and France to qualify, we can do it! :wub:

England, meh, pretty easy group should qualify wongt get complacent yadeyadeyah
We will beat your (ex) Communist **** just like we did to your brothers about 70 years ago. France and Spain are easy wins for us, as is Georgia. Litmanen will still play at 42 years.

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to it. Few years back, maybe. But when you look at how old some of the first team players are now, and how old they'll be in a couple of years time, and taking into account current fitness of some players....I'd say we'd probably scrape through group stage. Not taking into account anymore "retirements" of course. Have a feeling the young 'uns will be asked to step and do a job, like Rodwell and Wilshere. If they're given a chance of course, and not being asked to be the square peg in a round hole, as well all know can happen in certain circumstances. And i don't even need to mention complacency and under achieveing players. (You know who you are. Barry!)

We will beat your (ex) Communist **** just like we did to your brothers friends about 70 years ago. France and Spain are easy wins for us, as is Georgia. Litmanen will still play at 42 years.

calm down dear

Whoever says Spain will be easy doesn't know that much about football at all

so for Group I, only one team goes to the group stage or is it 1st place goes to group stage, and 2nd in playoffs, like for Groups A - H?

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to it. Few years back, maybe. But when you look at how old some of the first team players are now, and how old they'll be in a couple of years time, and taking into account current fitness of some players....I'd say we'd probably scrape through group stage. Not taking into account anymore "retirements" of course. Have a feeling the young 'uns will be asked to step and do a job, like Rodwell and Wilshere. If they're given a chance of course, and not being asked to be the square peg in a round hole, as well all know can happen in certain circumstances. And i don't even need to mention complacency and under achieveing players. (You know who you are. Barry!)

it all depends who is in charge, there is some real quality there.

Personally I think Neil Warnock would be a great manager for England, he's a brilliant manager and his face + expression may scare off foreign opposition

it all depends who is in charge, there is some real quality there.

Thing is, we've had managers in charge like Capello who are usually outstanding. And look what happened. Don't know if he was badly advised, or just was at times, just too stubborn to see what was going wrong on the pitch. We could have had great things in the recent past, but somehow it ended up just going pear shaped. Sometimes in the pen shoot out. Which is nothing new lol. I'll be interested to see what the England squad will be like toward the tournament though. Both player and manager wise. Quite a few people say Jose, others say Redknapp. Myself, I'm not sure. And I have a feeling some English managers will think twice, as the job seems to be a poisoned chalice at times. But I am looking forward to seeing some of the young English talent there is now stepping up to the plate.

Tbh I'm just not going to get myself carried away on the group like I have in the past, and suffer what every England fan seems to go through every tournament. Tears of frustration, and that all too familiar feeling of utter deflation. Not being depressed about it or anything really, just being realistic.

Yesssssssss...looks like we are going to be 2nd...maybe we can even beat Norway if we play good! :D

really bad group for Denmark with Italy, Czech Republic and Bulgaria as the main threats.

Thing is, we've had managers in charge like Capello who are usually outstanding. And look what happened. Don't know if he was badly advised, or just was at times, just too stubborn to see what was going wrong on the pitch. We could have had great things in the recent past, but somehow it ended up just going pear shaped. Sometimes in the pen shoot out. Which is nothing new lol. I'll be interested to see what the England squad will be like toward the tournament though. Both player and manager wise. Quite a few people say Jose, others say Redknapp. Myself, I'm not sure. And I have a feeling some English managers will think twice, as the job seems to be a poisoned chalice at times. But I am looking forward to seeing some of the young English talent there is now stepping up to the plate.

Tbh I'm just not going to get myself carried away on the group like I have in the past, and suffer what every England fan seems to go through every tournament. Tears of frustration, and that all too familiar feeling of utter deflation. Not being depressed about it or anything really, just being realistic.

Club wise Capello is a genius,but he is pragmatic, and that doesnt always work well in international football, where you need to be quicker to adapt if something isnt working