2nd season tips on beating new opponents?

pixc

Reaction score
Ok so I'm Huddersfield Town, won League One, I have built up my squad a fair bit with minimal spending and am looking to find a way of holding my own against my new opponents, my first two games are (H) vs Millwall and (A) vs Newcastle , I played Millwall and lost 3 - 0 , didn't save it though as I felt that I could have got a draw, based on the stats. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem having taken a side up from League One and can they recommend any strategies. Just done a little upgrade on my coaching staff and obviously having three formations prepared. 4-4-2, 4-5-1(1 DM, 2 AM, 2 CM) and a variation on 4-4-2 with attacking wingers to support attack. Would counter attack provide a good enough solution as I don't like to play defensively, always defence is the best form of attack. Any advice/pointers would be good, thanks :)

my main piece of advice for you is dont change your squad to much from the team that got you promoted as it will take you longer to bed those players in

Also stick with the formation that got you promote to the championship

That wud b my advice

Martyn

on my recent save file with huddersfield when i got promoted i bought sean morrison permanently and kept murray wallace. signed stephen quinn from sheffield united.Greg halford from pompy and ben marshall from leicster. and brought in on loan emanuel frimpong from arsenal,david goodwillie from blackburn. wes hoolahan from norwich. henri lansbury from arsenal and harry kane from totenham. i let some dead wood go too but didnt get much money. i got promoted in for the second consecutive season in second place with 92 points which was level with stoke!!. :)

hey thanks, well I went and signed a lot of new players as a fair few of my squad were out of contract, Adam Hammill is my best buy, no loan signings, kept Murray Wallace, didn't sign Morrison as he was often getting booked and McCombe had a better record, already sold Nathan Clarke but Tom Clarke left too, got Glenn Loovens from Celtic on a free I think, Marc Tierney, Darren O'Dea, Zeli Ismail, Michael O'Connor and Beni Afobe(not sure how good this signing was, scores but seems a little poor mostly)

My advice would be... Don't lose a game, quit and reload it. I know it is your game, but I just can't see the satisfaction in doing that.

fair enough chriis, i understand what you mean, I try not to but sometimes i have done it, mainly when its a rivals game, it learns me where i went wrong in that match, hopefully it will enable me to do better next time, I also play this for fun to build an awesome squad, but I am looking to be able to never reload a game, i have friends who never do this and win almost every game, i still can't work out how, got a thread about my prospects somewhere on here, it'd be ace if someone could help me find their true potential

I think the most important thing is to keep your squad as similar to last season's squad as possible, they performed well last year so they will do it again, try not to make more than 4 changes to your squad.

Give us screenshots and we might be able to help you out with your tactics.

Last edited:
henri lansbury from arsenal and harry kane from totenham. i let some dead wood go too but didnt get much money. i got promoted in for the second consecutive season in second place with 92 points which was level with stoke!!.
smile.gif
hardware.gif

Aye, sounds good I'm doing well, surprisingly not having too many bad results, I'll get some screens up of my squad, be good to see what you make of things, its kind of odd though, only new players that aren't performing are strikers, new loan striker Baxter is doing ok but not scored yet.

hey guys i also have been promoted. my starting cbs are both 35 and older and have pace/accel of 9 and 8. Should i replace both or would i be risking losing some unity?

hey montanaro, i'd try just one until january but it wouldn't hurt to rotate between four with two young pacier ones? oh and guys I got a screen print of my lineup and formation before my big match against 23rd place Leeds, a few non regulars in the side, so might have to show you some more shots eventually, tbh I'm doing ok was just hoping people had some information tbh View attachment 256996

hey guys i also have been promoted. my starting cbs are both 35 and older and have pace/accel of 9 and 8. Should i replace both or would i be risking losing some unity?

You can replace both your cbs without any problem. Just put your Match preperation on Teamwork during pre-season untill like september. Check your assistant manager's feedback on how your squad is blending together. If new players still have serious problems blending in, you could consider keeping training focus on Teamwork a bit longer.

yeah I found teamwork helps the squad blend together, but I have been lucky with so many new faces the team still seems to have gelled quite well or is performing mostly, strikers are seeming to fail but sometimes have really good spurts, for instance Novak was on fire for months, but now only gets the odd good game, whereas Afobe gets a goal once in a blue moon