3-1-2-3-1 Fishy - No fullbacks, Decent possession, Attacking football.

th3stain

Reaction score
Tactic named after it's shape. It's taken me a while but now i've found the tactic for me, and no doubt for many of you out there. I will describe my thinking and what i want in a tactic. This tactic achieves these things:

- No frustrating fullback performances, there are no full backs. We use our wingers to man mark enemy wingers.
- Attacking football
- Mixed passing
- Decent possession (50-60%)
- Different kinds of goals (from through balls, crosses, set pieces)
- Quickly win the ball back
- Stand off in defence, Press higher up. Man marking their wingers will make the opposition take useless long shots. You will concede a few corners but it's a small price to pay. Enemy won't get many goals from crosses.

I am a 4-3-3 kind of guy. I've had decent success creating different variations of it but they haven't had all that i want in a tactic. I'ts based more on individual player roles than team instructions. Here is a description of the tactic and how i have chosen the player roles:

GK - Sweeper Keeper - Defend

We play with a very high defensive line with offside trap so we need a quick goalie who can clear the odd through ball finding it's way behind our solid defensive line. Individual instructions: Distribute to defenders, Ease of tackles, Shorter passing.

CB - All the CB's are Ball playing - LCB/stopper - CB/cover - RCB/stopper

We want fast central defenders who play the ball on the ground to build from the back. No hoofing here. Key attributes: Pace, Acc, Ant, Pos, Tac. Ind instr: Shorter passing, Ease of tackles.

DMC - Anchor - Defend

Sits in front of the CB with cover duty. Key attr: Pos, Ant, Tac, Pas, Work rate, Team work. Ind instr: Close down less, Shorter passing.

CM - Box To Box - Support

One of the two CM's in the middle of the park. Team player who contributes both in defence and attack. Key attr: Pas, Tac, Sta, Str, Pos, Ant. Ind instr: Shorter passing, Close down more, Shoot less often, Mark tighter, Fewer risky passes, Dribble less, Tackle harder.

These 5 players will make your defence solid. The wingers have a very important defensive role in this tactic, explanation to come.

CM - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support

One of two creative mids. We use two to make it harder for opposition to break down our creativity. Key attr: Cre, Pas, Dri, Tec, Fir, Dec. Ind instr: Close down more, Mark tighter, Dribble less, Tackle harder.

AMC - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

The attacking creator. Both creators should have good fitness, stamina, work rate, team work for closing down opposition. Key attr: Pas, Cre, Dri, Bal, Fir, Dec, Tec. Ind instr: Close down more, Mark tighter, Shoot less, Hold up ball, Move into channels, More direct passes.

LW/RW - Wingers - Attack. Against harder teams it can be a good idea to switch one or both of them to Inside Forwards. I usually always have one winger for whipping in crosses.

You know the attributes for good wingers/inf. However, you need to MAN MARK THE OPPOSING TEAMS WINGERS WITH YOUR WINGERS. THIS WILL CRIPPLE THEIR WING PLAY AND FORCE THEM IN FRONT OF YOUR BACK 3. Since it's virtually impossible to score from long shots, we have taken away much of their attack. They will score the odd goals from through balls, crosses, penalties, free kicks, corners.

Very important you do this in match.

Ind instr: Stay wider, More direct passes, Shot less often, Mark Tighter, Tackle harder, Cross Aim Target Man.

ST - Target Man - Attack

Having a strong player who can header the ball is the most effective way for a striker to get goals in this game (my opinion obviously). Doesn't hurt if he has decent pace, acc. Finishing is important. Jumping reach. Strength. Ind instr: None

PHILOSOPHY

Attacking/Very Rigid. Haven't changed to much. We're letting the individual player roles define the tactic. Attacking because i want us to press high up and play entertaining football. Very rigid because the players will focus on their own instructions.

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

View attachment 339861

3-1-2-3-1 Fishy

View attachment 339860

I HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH THIS TACTIC, HOPEFULLY YOU WILL TO! DON'T FORGET TO MAN MARK OPPOSITION WINGERS! CORNER/FREEKICK TACTICS INCLUDED. THANKS :)

View attachment 339857

Works both home and away. Youll have more possession at home, of course.

Seems like an interesting tactic. I would definitely try it in a test safe. Not really confident in a formation that has no WB/HB. I'll post results tho regardless.

Worth pointing out im using it on v.14.1.3. Havent been bothered updating. I got sick of my full/wingbacks getting 5s and 6s so made this. It looks like the wingers are to high up to defend but it works better like this than having normal wingers ( like in 4411 for example). I tried that but they didnt get forward as much.

Also i dont touch any opposition instructions. Go route one for a more direct approach, good if youre chasing the winner late in the game.

Last edited: