hera

Reaction score
Hello.

Has anyone tried this formation ? Because it works perfectly for me. Never used it before, now the further I am, the better my team play. However I'm not making an 'opening post', just asking.

Here are some screenshots showing how dominative this formation can be. Look at the number of shots, ccc, possession and so on. I don't use that corner bug when you cross the ball at the near post and your CB scores 20 goals in the season, which is ridiculous. Started using this tactic after being defeated 1-4 by City. Feel fre in asking anything.

I have used à similair formation using à cautious approach. For me, it worked like à charm.
Seing you are in 2019, have you tried this with à middle team/underdog in 2011/12 season ?

I have used à similair formation using à cautious approach. For me, it worked like à charm.
Seing you are in 2019, have you tried this with à middle team/underdog in 2011/12 season ?

I used this as a second tactic with Wilsden (I put them in League 2 and gave them an "Underwriter Sugar-Daddy" or whatever it is called to see how I could do :p) I used it as a tactic for my reserves and against teams I should be winning against (Which wasn't many! (I was predicted to finish 21st :p)) and in the last 20 mins when I needed goals..

All I can say is I ended up winning League 2 and then 1 partly using this tactic as I said above, so I had success in part with this tactic... :D

I like that skin you're using... what is it and can you remember where you got it from? Thanks :)

I haven't really tested it with smaller club, because recently I don't have much time for playing FM. I just played one single match on my older Gijon save. It was La Liga opening match against Villareal on El Madrigal. I won 2-6 which I consider as a good, prospective result. Will test it more maybe today evening. However, I can upload the tactic and maybe some of you guys would try this and help me with testing.

I like that skin you're using... what is it and can you remember where you got it from? Thanks :)

It's the R Skin, I got it from this site. Here you have direct link:
R skin - Downloads - Football Manager 2013 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

Just realized that I have a lot of work to do, so I don't know if I will be able to test this tactic today. If you want, you can download the tactic and try how it's working. I would appreciate any feedback from you guys. As I said above, this is not opening post, feel free in pointing out what you think may be done better, what you think is wrong etc.

Just remember few things.
1. You have to have extremely quick CB, his mentality is set to offensive (20), so if he is not quick enough, he won't be able to catch up opponent's strikers.
2. LB is the attacking one, so good passing and most of all crossing is absolutely required.
3. All three playmakers have to be technical advanced, however I'd say that good mental attributes are quite more required, especially in the matter of the two DLP. They have to be your most intelligent players.
3. IF on the left is your Target Man with runs onto ball. Preferably right-footed player.

I think that throw-ins could be set up better, maybe some of you has an idea how to do this.

Allright, here is the link:
Download nju 451 ver2.tac from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Cheers!

Last edited:
I tried to create a shape like yours with arsenal but I found that while it looked nice in play, it was giving up 2-4 goals every time. I have created a 3@back like this before, but with only one dm and two cm and it worked because I was able to keep 75% possession every game so they didn't have the time on the ball to exploit the hole that the one DC vs 2 ST can create. Did you make the DC so offensive so that he would step up and put the ST off sides? I didn't think of that on mine, I tried him as a deep cover with no closing down so he wouldn't get stuck to one of the ST leaving the other open, and I also tried as a DC-D with offside trap on but that got beaten no matter what team I played.

Just played a game vs southhampton using my shape but a full attack ment. DC like you have with very low closing down and no tight marking and it dominated. I posted some stats on the game. If you look at their total possession and the possession in my half you can see that they had zero time on the ball to pick out passes(only 50% completions compared to 91%), yet all of my CC's came in the open field and not off corners so I still was attacking the whole game not just holding the ball. Also posted the shape at the bottom. Little different then yours but I find the SW L+R keeps them back and helps them tuck in better when needed. Still a work in progress but encouraging since I don't have the kind of SW-L+R or ST I need for the system as gibbs and sagna have PPMs that make sure they run up the touchline every now and then and I would rather have a false 9 creative striker but didn't switch up till the last few games so I have not had time to go buy what I need. Didn't mean to hijack your thread but I love disscussion on strange formations!

The times I have used a formation using...

DR - DC - DL - DMC, its only been working when playing a probing possession approach. If using an approach that has the counter box ticked, it simply wont work, just like it would not work in real life as the(our) defence would be too exposed when loosing out in possession.

So, the key here is to play patient and drag the opposition on to us and then when one has achieved that, exploit the fact that the opponent has lost their defensive shape by using the width out the pitch and lost of movement ( move into channels and roaming BUT from late in attacks) :D

Im using counter because the mentality for the players is very probing(not too atacking), and I pushed up the dline and pressing to make it sure that I get the ball back quickly and they don't have time to exploit my 3@back setup. As for leaving the counter box ticked I'm experimenting to see if it can get a change of tempo urgency every once in a while without wasting possession needlessly. It didn't seem to this game but its something I'm keeping an eye on.

your Sampdoria squad is probably full of the best regens and wonderkids around mate, its 2019 :)

any default tactic would work wonders that far in :)

a tactic in my opinion is only based on its first seasons performance and at most its second...

Any long term success with this kind of approach? I tried this kind of formation (lb-cb-rb with two DMs ahead of them) with high pressing once in FM11 and failed miserably. I also played possession football and dominated possession, but I was way to vulnerable when I lost the ball. Especially against 2 strikers when there were way too much space in the channels. Any tips for this formation with high pressing and high line?