Anton86

Reaction score
Ok I'm playing my generated game 2030 and I'm starting my second season with Preston. Last year I played a 4-4-2 system, ending 7th in my first season, while the year before that they ended 12. So not to bad. But as I do with most teams I totally change my tactics for the 2nd season, so I did.
Playing a 3-2-2-3 system now.
This tactic always works fine for me, apart from one thing. I prefer to have 3 poachers up front who should al aim for goal. But the problem is that te STCR and STCL always play way to wide.
There's a few dilemma's and I'm wondering what you think. I have the STCR and STCL cutting inside, mainly because when they cut insede the opposite defender will have trouble blocking him with his natural leg. Also, when they cut inside i't will be easier for them to find the STC or at least having that option so a defender must choose, making it easier to get a goal opportunity. But the STCR and STCL mostly start their running close to the touchline. That's where I want my WBR and WBL to be. They are there, because I let them hug the touchline. But the problem is there's always two player at the right or left tocuhline. I could simply let my WBR and WBL cut inside, but this will have players in the middle who are good at driblling and crossing, and defending. So that's not what I want.
No playing less wide at the team tactiscs would probably make the WBR and WBL also stand closser to the middle, while I want them to be at the touchline. So this wouldn't help either I think.
Can anyone help me and come up with a solution??

Make your wing backs hug touchline, run from deep often, run with ball often and cross from byline.

As for strikers dont put cut inside, this will make them go out wide so they can cut inside. Put them on normal and reduce creative freedom so they dont wander.

Also reduce overall team width.

Set your STR and STL as inside forwards on attack. this will make them cut in side towards goal rather than go out wide. This should leave space for your wing backs if you ask your WB's to hog the touchline.

Ok JP, did that. What would you reccomend doing with the central midfildiers (both attacking minded, one more than the other) on wide play? And the central striker?

I'd have one ball winner and the other mid - support or mid - box to box since you probably won't need an attack mid with three forwards.

Put them both on Normal and the CF move into the channels.

allright but wouldn't it help to put all three strikers on moving into channels? what makes you say I should not?
And make passing shorter for short combinations up front since they play narrow?

Last edited: