Reaction score
EDIT: Bollox, didn't realise it updates both parts of your post when you add a comment.

I have been trying a 3-5-2 experiment, with a flat 5 midfield, with Liverpool and I always thought a 3-5-2 was a possession dominator, but I'm finding although I'm solid at the back and winning a fair share of matches (3rd after 18 games), I'm not scoring many or am I having over 50% possession even against much weaker sides. Also my two strikers are the only two that are contributing to the goals (around 95%).

My team instructions are:
Fluid, Control, Shorter Passing, More Expressive, Press More, Man Marking, Float Crosses. (Roaming & Tackle default)

I play a highish defensive, line, mid/high width and slow/mid tempo. Focus passing mixed and no counter attack or offside trap.

Back 3: Agger (Ball playing, Defend) Carragher (Limited, Defend) & Skrtel (Cntrl defender, Defend)

Midfield 5: Hazard (Winger, Attack), Lucas (Ball Winner, Support), Gerrard (Adv. Playmaker, Support), Meireles (Box-to-Box, Support), Maxi/Kuyt (Wide Mid, Auto)

Attack: Torres (Adv. Forward, Attack) & Llorente (Target Man, Support)

So if anyone can spot some weaknesses in that, feel free to point them out as I'm not sure where to start weaking yet, as I don't want to want to have any adverse effects.

Thanx.

Last edited:
Having the exact same situation mate, accept I'm playing a 3-4-3 with a FL and FR.

I am using it as a kind of quick counter attacking formation. It is very solid defensively kept clean sheets in about 70% of my games. Try shorter passing and fluid to attack quickly yet keep the ball.

Every game I have less than 50% of possession but it doesn't matter as I'm winning games. I stand off the attackers and they also have more shots than me but rarely do they trouble my keeper as I limit them to long shots.

So if you would give me an idea of how you would like to play I can reply?

I suppose I should be satisfied when I'm winning games, as you say you don't need 50+% if your still winning games, just that I'd like to control the game a little more and be a little quicker with my build up, as we seem to poke and prod around the box to much and end up shooting from range (even though I limit long shots), which is annoying.

I probably would like to utilise the pace in my team more down the flanks, but without giving away control the game i.e. not on the back foot and only being able to counter.

Try slowing your tempo down, this should make you have more possession.

Also try the touchline shouts; Retain possession + work ball into box, they should help :)

Give this a go mate. It doesn't dominate games but the counter attacking is lethal, utilises my two wingers excellently. If you want to play 5 in the middle, simply move one of the Deep-Lying forwards to AM.

Hope it works!View attachment 112589

I've had this problem too. Even though it was with York in the blue square premier.

I think the RM and LM play a significant role in the attacking game and that they are being limited in their doings in using the 3-5-2 flat formation.

I've changed my RM and LM to wingers and changed their roles to inside forwards.

now I easily score up to 2-3 goals per match :)

useful against a 4-4-2, which is why i often use it in the lower leagues

I've slowed the tempo down but to no noticeable difference. Funnily enough I just beat Man City away 3-1, Torres hasn't scored in 6 though :O

Church, I find that sometimes my wingers are being pre-occupied with defending and players like Hazard just let players waltz past them even though I want him as an attacking winger. But I don't want to compromise my attack by say bringing in Aurelio to sure it up a little more but then lose my atatcking flair.

Cheers stan I'll implement it in my next few games, as they are cup and lower league opp, let you know what happens.

Wait, your wingers are pre-occupied with defending? What are their roles?

Attacking winger on the left and wide mid, automatic. Not pre-occupied so to speak but there picking the ball up in the left back position instead of further up the pitch and it looks like i'm playin a 5-3-1.

Attacking winger on the left and wide mid, automatic. Not pre-occupied so to speak but there picking the ball up in the left back position instead of further up the pitch and it looks like i'm playin a 5-3-1.

In my experience, never use a wide midfielder. Use them as inside forwards or advanced playmakers. For me, it's given me the best results.

Make it an inviting tactic.

The three men at the back should be man-marking the strikers, wingbacks/wingers should be marking the opposite wingers and the right and left centre midfielders should be marking their counterparts.

The central midfielder should be a playmaker, whilst one of the strikers drops deep to link up play and the other holding up play. Have the players stand off more, play a deep defensive line, with aggressive tackling, and man-to-man marking. Make it rigid, too.

Napoli did the same thing not so long ago and achieved relative success in Serie A, and, on FM, is, not only one of the most annoying tactics you'll ever come across, but one of the most difficult to beat.

If you want to keep possession try it like this..
GK
CB CB CB
DM
RM CM CM LM
ST ST

The triangle of central midfielders mean there are more options when passing. If the DM has the ball, he can pass the ball forward and start an attack. This is instead of him shifting the ball squarely to the left or right. In my opinion; if you have three central midfielders you need to have a triangle, whether you're playing a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 etc.​

With absolutly no testing and no copy of 2011 yet I would recommend trying Gerrard on Attacking and Central Midfield. This should make him get forward more (higher mentality and forward runs often) and pass a little less (mixed through balls) so hopefully he will become another goal scorer without hurting the creativity of the team rather than just a provider.

In theory even though he isn't providing as many throughballs he is now in a more threatening position and providing another attacking target and body in the box for the other midfielders to provide to or the forwards to pass to. For example the defenders could end up closing him down leaving a forward unmarked.

Change Torres to complete forward or in your case poacher, for one thing.