3-5-2 is the best formation in this game (for all teams)

Reaction score
I have tested a lot of formations over the past few months, and having trawled through a few old threads in forums like Community SI, it seems to be generally agreed that the 3-5-2 ( 3 CB, flat 5 across midfield, 2 Strikers) is the most stable shape in this game (the latest patch). Two guys even agreed that it was the "ultimate tactic of FM 13", citing their success with relatively weak teams in their leagues (Palermo in Serie A and Southampton in the Premier League). Having tested it myself, I totally agree. It controls games, allows for some beautiful goals, and is solid at the back if you don't go crazy with Defensive Line settings and Overload Strategy as a mediocre team.

The tweaking of roles and player instructions to suit your players is important, but I've found that the shape is generally very solid. Opponents struggle to break down your 3 man central midfield, the 3 centrebacks do well even when the wingers don't track back. In the attack, your 3 CMs will have some nice interplay, with plenty of options for the pass (wingers and 2 strikers).

In the beginning, it takes at least 5-7 games for your team to get used to the formation, but stick with it and be patient. Once the bars become Accomplished and Fluid, you'll notice a big difference in the performance and very stable results.

(Note: don't be tempted to move your middle CM to DM or AM. I have found throughout this testing that 3 man central midfields are much harder for the opponent to deal with )

I have tested a lot of formations over the past few months, and having trawled through a few old threads in forums like Community SI, it seems to be generally agreed that the 3-5-2 ( 3 CB, flat 5 across midfield, 2 Strikers) is the most stable shape in this game (the latest patch). Two guys even agreed that it was the "ultimate tactic of FM 13", citing their success with relatively weak teams in their leagues (Palermo in Serie A and Southampton in the Premier League). Having tested it myself, I totally agree. It controls games, allows for some beautiful goals, and is solid at the back if you don't go crazy with Defensive Line settings and Overload Strategy as a mediocre team.

The tweaking of roles and player instructions to suit your players is important, but I've found that the shape is generally very solid. Opponents struggle to break down your 3 man central midfield, the 3 centrebacks do well even when the wingers don't track back. In the attack, your 3 CMs will have some nice interplay, with plenty of options for the pass (wingers and 2 strikers).

In the beginning, it takes at least 5-7 games for your team to get used to the formation, but stick with it and be patient. Once the bars become Accomplished and Fluid, you'll notice a big difference in the performance and very stable results.

(Note: don't be tempted to move your middle CM to DM or AM. I have found throughout this testing that 3 man central midfields are much harder for the opponent to deal with )
your tactic please

Dont think so i won all trophies except european super cup with basic real that means almost no signings 4231.... My friend won with chelsea in our lan play with narrow 433 all trophies in one season and with poacher banging 50 goals. Try that with 352 :D and 3421 is also better. What mazzari played with napoli lavezzi cavani hamsik. Now i played with southampton many different tactics bought neymar and i dont cheat and have him from 17/18 season along with tr listed aguero and i play 424 cant play 352 with neymar aguero that would be suicide and im in final of fa and semi of ucl can post som screenshots if u want

Dont think so i won all trophies except european super cup with basic real that means almost no signings 4231.... My friend won with chelsea in our lan play with narrow 433 all trophies in one season and with poacher banging 50 goals. Try that with 352 :D and 3421 is also better. What mazzari played with napoli lavezzi cavani hamsik. Now i played with southampton many different tactics bought neymar and i dont cheat and have him from 17/18 season along with tr listed aguero and i play 424 cant play 352 with neymar aguero that would be suicide and im in final of fa and semi of ucl can post som screenshots if u want
can you upload your tactic? I want to try it for my new game

I do love a 4-2-4, can you upload it and I'll give it a go? :)

One thing I learned recently is that quite a lot of the tactics on this forum over-complicate the player instructions. I had been rotating between a few of these tactics and was generally getting mixed-to-bad results (even when fully Fluid), and decided to finally sit down and look closely at these player instructions myself to see if I could find the issue. I found so many excessive tweaks that pulled the tactic out of shape and destroyed the balance (for example, every player set to highest Attacking level on Mentality, even CB and FB, which is crazy, even when you're playing as a top tier side). This is when results and performances started to improve rapidly!

I started unticking each slider to see the default setting, and found most of them had been changed far too much. So, I unticked everything and played some games with my set Team Instructions and default player instructions (everything unticked). Waiting until the tactic became fluid to judge, I found overall gameplay and results improved drastically! My Preston side, which was floundering in 17th place, started to beat teams much more easily, winning games far more often and often dominating games, particularly at home (all using a narrow, flat 4-3-3).

It's made me realise that in most cases it's best to pick a shape that you like, or one that suits the players you have, set the roles (I love using DLP/AP combinations in midfield) and trust the game's judgement when it comes to the smaller details.

This isn't a criticism of anyone else's tactic by the way! I'm sure they worked well for the people who made them, as well as some people who used them until everything clicked, or had an ideal squad for it :).

Last edited:
i think you need to set exactly every player instruction as you want it to be. Even mentality. My team plays with the attacking mentality yet some offensive players are set to very defensive it has a reason behind it its not for fun. For better understanding look at Neymars defensive duty he is more def so he is being played deeper so there is more space for him to operate
20200807160540_1.jpg
20200807160543_1.jpg

Btw i make tactivs to suit my players not just roles but the smallest of detail. U can have two types of approach. Using tactic made to suit ur players or use a general tactic u have thought out to detail and then retrain players so the use your style. Mby even mix both of the approaches

So i tried to make 352 something like Juve style after i made Napoli tactic 3421 and i tell u its solid u have some right but when i win all trophies in one season i will call it a succes. So far i had best results with 4231 defensive , offensive ones u name it whatever and 433 also good passive style, or even very aggressive like Guardiola plays or Liverpool. So i think the 352 is the middle ground you can produce nice goals and stuff but then when u want to win all u must play style that suit your players or your best player. And you need best player like Ronaldo or Messi

What tempo are you using? I've found that high tempo creates more mistakes and low morale over time through fatigue.

I keep tempo around 25% (5 clicks from left), and it results in much less mistakes. Midfielders and forwards will pass back to a safe option to keep possession rather than blindly passing forward (using high tempo).

I find with a high tempo that midfielders give the ball away on nearly every highlight, and the opponent counter-attacks to get an easy CCC.

I use every tempo b7t lately i play with it like i give the slowest or very slow tempo like you some clicks to right and then modify time wasting because it is direct to tempo it does speed up your attacks if you are using less time wasting. If you use more the attacks are slower so if you want total barca guardiola football you need the right players ultra slow tempo and high time wasting. But i use very low time wasting with slow tempo to keep opposition on the back foot with intensity. But not every tactic is blessed i have won many trophies but on other computer i have save with la coruna strugling to keep them in division no money No nothing and i tried like 3 or 4 tactics already...