Two questions: in tactic 2, if I wanted to make the two DM's CM's (probably ball-winner, support or defend), would it work? Any suggestions on that? Also, what are the wingers doing? Ideally, in a 3 back formation, the wingers are offensive and are constantly involved in the attacks, though when necessary, one will track back and the 3 defenders will slide in the opposite direction, creating a back 4. In FM this doesn't happen. The wingers are way too defensive when there are 3 backs, and often times they both drop back so you have a back 5. This is ugly football, and makes attacking a lot more difficult. Most importantly, it means you're outnumbered in the midfield, where you're supposed to have your advantage.

There's an SI thread that attempts to solve the problem. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238246-The-3-4-1-2-A-Tactical-Challenge!

They spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure it out, so it's definitely worth checking out.

apparently wing backs are defenders so thats a 5 man defence not a 3 man defence. but thats the way i would do it.

No it's not becaus emy wingbacks are set to attach which means they attack the wings so it is still a 3 man defense

1st game Aston Villa 2-0 one from spot one from a free kick.

Problem Im facing is more player then tactics. The "attacking trident" is not very effective Pavlyuchenko is doing his job fine what I want from my complete forward support but not finishing effectively 4 shots one on target that was the pen. Kranjcar and Modric were the support Kranjcar was inside forward attack whilst Modric Advance playmaker.

Wide Men
For this game I wanted more attack from my wide men so I changed them to wingers, but not neglect their defensive duties.

View attachment 130622

As you can see the defence forms a back 5 however the midfielder in the RCB position is Jenas. Dawson is man-marking Carew so thats what the yellow line is. Moments later...

View attachment 130629

Dawson caught out of position but Lennon was their for cover luckly didnt tackle honestly thought he would give a penalty away. So defensively you cant complain.

Wide Men Attack
In this formation I have told both wide men to hug the touchline to give me width. This is the build up to the penalty.

View attachment 130633

As you can see Pavlyuchenko holding up the ball, Bale wide left ready to whip in a cross with Lennon, Kranjcar and Modric question im facing is do I really need two mids staying deep im already 3v1 at the back.

View attachment 130615
As you can see Villa's passing is focused down the flanks something I think I will see often playing this formation. So wide players working the flanks is a must.

Match Stats
View attachment 130616
View attachment 130617
View attachment 130618
View attachment 130619

Last edited:
thats kinda how liveprool played last night, it workes well.

You would need fast defenders if you want this to work, IMO. Otherwise the opposition wingers would just cut in easily

Two questions: in tactic 2, if I wanted to make the two DM's CM's (probably ball-winner, support or defend), would it work? Any suggestions on that? Also, what are the wingers doing? Ideally, in a 3 back formation, the wingers are offensive and are constantly involved in the attacks, though when necessary, one will track back and the 3 defenders will slide in the opposite direction, creating a back 4. In FM this doesn't happen. The wingers are way too defensive when there are 3 backs, and often times they both drop back so you have a back 5. This is ugly football, and makes attacking a lot more difficult. Most importantly, it means you're outnumbered in the midfield, where you're supposed to have your advantage.

There's an SI thread that attempts to solve the problem. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238246-The-3-4-1-2-A-Tactical-Challenge!

They spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure it out, so it's definitely worth checking out.

You could change the DMs to CMs it what i had but watching the match my 1 cb was always 1v2. The wingers need control the whole flank I think because the A.I will focus on attacking the flanks. Think of having Dani Alves of both sides of the pitch

3rd Match Spurs (4) v Arsenal (1)

After reading http://community.sigames.com/showthr...ical-Challenge! it may back that do I need to create a 5v3 in defence im just numbers in midfield so I came up with this.

View attachment 130769
Push Bale high up the pitch would stop the tracking back but keep Naughton were he is can still form a back 4.

Back 5 Now Back 4

View attachment 130772
Now we have a sort of 4-4-1-1 going on nearly creating 2 banks of 4

One thing I did do, dont know how much difference it made was I instructed my RCB to loosely mark AML and my LCB to loosely man mark AMR

Match Stats
View attachment 130775
View attachment 130773
View attachment 130774

I will be trying this shape for the next 3 games then moving onto the Teams philiosophy, which works best

Last edited:
Your wide men need to be quality in there technique and work rate, as you have no full backs, so they'll need to run up and down the pitch all game non-stop. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a ****** defence and **** wingers.

View attachment 130803

This is latest tactic the purpose is to control the game so use the shouts like retain possession, pass to feet and work into box.

tomorrow ill be starting with rather man city or man united cause i do think this formation will work alot better with the better players

Last edited:
Going decent in my spurs save atm. Started off poorly with 1 defeat and a draw but then i tweaked the tactic abit and have just beaten Blackpool away and Celtic at home both very comfortably. Ill keep you updated with how its going.

apparently wing backs are defenders so thats a 5 man defence not a 3 man defence. but thats the way i would do it.

no, in my tactic i have the WB's pushing forward into wingers so they only play as wing backs when defending and dont plaay deeper than a WB

I won the League with a 2-7-1 (2-4-1-2-1) So im sure this will work. May take tweaking though. :)