pollackattack

Reaction score
  • http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=7797 - download link
  • For more pictures and other helpful tips on the tactic and the download visit - http://www.mypassion4footballmanager.com/2013/05/fm-2013-attacking-tactic-earn-it-3-6-1.html
  • Hello my fellow FM players, to the Cobra 361 Attacking Tactic by Passion4FM tactic thread by pollackattack. This tactic was inspired by several concepts both from tactics I have used by some great tacticians on the base, as well as the real life principles of Antonio Conte. If you're unfamiliar with those, it is basically an idea about movement, tracking back and pressuring relentlessly. No player is allowed to be idle and not work hard for the team.

The Formation
    View attachment 340553

I'm playing a 3-6-1 formation, but it can also be described as a 3-1-4-1-1. There are several good points about the formation, as it is highly flexible, going to various shapes in defence, transition and attack. It is difficult to break down, as it creates a 5 man block at the back with wingers dropping back without the ball, and the 3+3 walls of defenders and midfielders form an unpassable wall of players, resulting in opponent shooting wildly or losing possession. The only drawbacks of the tactic, is the space given to the fullbacks, however they tend to cross, dwell or pass inside. If they cross, the safety of 3 CDs plus keeper will always clear the ball, and if they dwell or pass inside my BBM will usually pick them up or the pass.

Red Card? Remove your attacking midfielder

Players

It is important to have players with good work rate. That attribute will spur the players to work all over the pitch. Teamwork is a good addition as well as other ''team'' mental attributes as well as stamina, for covering alot of ground.

Goalkeeper - The sweeper keeper should have good ratings for aerial ability and command of area, for catching all those crosses coming in, as well as being an intimidating presence for oppositions attack. Szczesny
would be a good keeper here.

Central Defenders - The one in the middle should be pacey, as well as good ratings for anticiaption, heading and jumping. The two on the sides will be the tall guys, winning headers and clearing the ball. Think Ramos or Thiago Silva flanked by Shawcross and Alex.

Defensive Midfielder - Don't be confused by his role, as he will be far more creative than a regular DM. Look for a deep-lying playmaker, but with greater epmhasis on defensive attributes. Think Daniele De Rossi. This is your terrier in the team, but should be creative.

Central Midfielders - Those box to box players are the heart, soul and lungs of your team. Running even up to 14 km per game, they will harrass the opponent all over the pitch, create and score those important goals. Look for complete players with the highlighted BBM attributes like Khedira, Asamoah, Leon Osman, Jack Rodwell, James Milner - you get the drill.

Wingers - Don't be fooled by their ''defensive'' role. They will, as the central mids, work up and down the pitch, tracking back in defence, driving to the byline in attack. They will man-mark any opposition wingers to track back movement, and prevent the opponent from playing, as well as intercepting passes and creating goals. Look for quick players with great work rate and stamina. Crossing is also important and dribbling a good bonus Tackling is a bonus. Players like Baines, Bale and Valencia come to mind.

Attacking Midfielder - The brain of the team, he will mastermind your team, creating the chances and linking the play, as well as scoring. Think a maestro in the centre, a Zidane for your team, although you want that work rate to be there for him.

Striker - The poacher, the goal-getter, pacey strikers will work, as well as the tall ones. To be honest, I haven't found the ultimate striker for this tactic, although attributes like pace/acc, composure, passing and finishing will be beneficial. The more complete the player is, the better so think Tevez or Cavani.

Training

Team training:
- In pre-season - Fitness - Very High, match preparation: 50% Tactics Only
- In season - Balance - High, match preparation 30% Teamwork

Individual training:
Goalkeepers - sweeper keeper
Central Defenders - ball playing defender
Defensive Midfielder - deep lying playmaker
Central Midfielder - box to box midfielder
Wingers - defensive winger
Attacking Midfielder - advanced playmaker
Striker - complete forward

PPMs
(player preffered moves)
Defensive midfielder - try killer balls often, come deep to get the ball, dictate tempo, shoot with power
Central midfielder - try killer balls often, shoot with power, get forward whenever possible
Wingers - run with ball often, knock ball past opponent, try killer balls often, switch ball to other flank
Attacking midfielder - try killer balls often, run with ball through centre, move into channels, play one-twos
Striker - run with ball through centre, place shots, move into channels, look to break offside trap, play one-twos

Opposition Instructions
I use the ones sean uses in his brilliant Arrigo Sacchi 442 tactic, which I recommend to everyone, so credit to him for that.
Show onto foot - every player with one foot reasonable or weaker
Tackling Hard - every player with bravery 11 or lower
Closing down always on defenders with composure, concentration or decision of 10 or lower
Closing down always on mids and attackers with pace/acc of less than 12
Tigh marking always on mids and attackers with pace/acc of less than 12
Closing down always on players with long shots of 14 or more

Also, and this is very important, you will have to instruct your players to mark individually according to oppositions formation. Whenever you play against wingers, instruct your wingers to mark them specifically. Whenever your opponent uses an AMC you mark him specifically with your DM. Pay attention to formation changes. If your opponent changes from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 you will need to put your DM back to zonal marking, or else he will mark the wrong area of the pitch and unbalance the formation.

Shouts
Work ball into box
Play through defence
Retain possession
Exploit the flanks
Pass into space

Results
View attachment 340582View attachment 340583View attachment 340584View attachment 340585View attachment 340586View attachment 340587View attachment 340588View attachment 340821View attachment 341097View attachment 341098

The Everton - Liverpool game is an online versus game. In addition, i've been receiving some good feedback from people who tested the tactic. The main comments are about it being very solid in defense, as long as you follow the instructions given.

Looking forward to hearing from you, feel free to ask any questions and please post your results, as well as give me feedback!

Also, credit to Espen from Passion for Football Manager 2013 for helping me test it, and giving some helpful tips, from which i managed to perfect the tactic.

Last edited:
Would really recommend the tactic. Played 6 Won:5 Draw:1 Loss:0 Goals For: 15 Goals Against: 4

did you start the match with the tactic, or use it after you went under?

i started the match with and i didn't made any changes.

The tactic is working OK. But there is a thing that worries me - almost every game we concede a penalty. Any suggestions what to do?

The tactic is working OK. But there is a thing that worries me - almost every game we concede a penalty. Any suggestions what to do?

One thing you can do is reducing the players tackling. I don't notice it that much on my save, and consider the amount normal(you always will have some penalties). It might your defenders have poor tackling, concentration or decisions

Nice tactic there. I took over Norway national team recently and saw your topic. What I had in the squad was a lot of work rate, stamina and teamwork. I installed this tactic befor friendly against Poland, and it was a nice performance by Norway, then easy won against Estonia. Match agains England was disastrous as thy killed me on the wings. I was hoping in Euro Champinship we can doa little better and we did! A draw against Czech (conceded goal in last second), a terryfic lose agains Spain (again killed on the wings and corners - somehow my best header and jumper Hangeland wasn't interested in marking Pique) and then nice wins against Bulgaria, Romania and Belgium. In those matches I started to tweaking this tactics a bit to take abit of advantage over the opposite team (eg. moving wingers to DML/R or even DL/DR) In the semi final I lost in penalty shootout again Ukraine (again conceded a late goal in extra time). Anyway Euro Championship semi Finals was a great result for a team like Norway national Team. 2016 year, no any regens, just old squad. This tactic is great in defence when oppositie team want to populate the midfield, and good at goind forward (both MC's are doing great job). The problem is conceding goals from wing, but with some tweaking it can be not that big problem (agains Ukraine I started with DL and DR over ML and MR and it was much better)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice tactic there. I took over Norway national team recently and saw your topic. What I had in the squad was a lot of work rate, stamina and teamwork. I installed this tactic befor friendly against Poland, and it was a nice performance by Norway, then easy won against Estonia. Match agains England was disastrous as thy killed me on the wings. I was hoping in Euro Champinship we can doa little better and we did! A draw against Czech (conceded goal in last second), a terryfic lose agains Spain (again killed on the wings and corners - somehow my best header and jumper Hangeland wasn't interested in marking Pique) and then nice wins against Bulgaria, Romania and Belgium. In those matches I started to tweaking this tactics a bit to take abit of advantage over the opposite team (eg. moving wingers to DML/R or even DL/DR) In the semi final I lost in penalty shootout again Ukraine (again conceded a late goal in extra time). Anyway Euro Championship semi Finals was a great result for a team like Norway national Team. 2016 year, no any regens, just old squad. This tactic is great in defence when oppositie team want to populate the midfield, and good at goind forward (both MC's are doing great job). The problem is conceding goals from wing, but with some tweaking it can be not that big problem (agains Ukraine I started with DL and DR over ML and MR and it was much better)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sorry for a late response, i was away on vacation.

aye, the wings can pose a threat, although i try to get dominant defence aerially and it seems to work good for me, as well as a commanding keeper. the corners(pique) are still an issue this version with the near post being a joke. weird that hangeland would lose to pique but it happens. good result anyway! im surprised you got as dominated by england and spain, i usually get good results against tough teams(screens of tottenham and milan games, especially spurs who have excellent flanks)

feel free to tweak it as you wish, i'm a bit scared to as i don't want to ruin it :D