Reaction score
I'm currently using two tactics, one is a 4-2-3-1 formation and the other a 4-3-3 formation but now I'm looking for a third tactic that uses three at the back (3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1, 3-5-2 etc). So I'm just wondering if someone could recommend me a decent tactic for both home and away matches that uses three at the back and preferably doesn't need OI's for it to work?

Dominate 5212 or some of the liverpool threads have a 3 at the back.

In the Eredevisie with PSV i typically control 4-2-3-1 but if the game is a little close for my liking or I fall behind I switch to a 3-4-3 and it (usually) becomes a goal fest.

I use a F9 in front of a DLF and AF, a flat 4, support winger on one side bombing in crosses, a BWM, RPM, and a more conservative wide mid on the other side.

I've found a good BPD in central defense is really crucial to distribute to your midfield in this formation.

If you have a better AM than a 3rd ST switch the F9 to a Trequartista or SS and do a 3-4-1-2, which in practice isn't much different than the other tactic.

In both cases I run this super high tempo, closing down, and attacking. I switch from possession to direct depending on their defensive approach.

Liverpool and Rodgers currently are using 3-4-3 tactic. So you could take some cues from watching their football. When playing 3 in the back, you need a lot of depth and talent at the CB positions.

I'm not a big fan of 3 DC formations, as I find it is very difficult to stock enough top shelf talent to make it work well. I'd rather play with 2 DC and 1 DM over the top to protect them.