efcneilcawley

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to get a possession based formation using 3 at the back in Serie A.

I preferably want to use it without any wing backs (willing to change) but i'm having no luck so far getting a tactic together with 3 at the back and actually keeping possession. I also prefer playing with just the 1 striker and ideally having 2 wingers.

I managed to keep possession well with a 4231 with my two CM's been BWM and i was getting roughly 57% each game with Chievo and it was really successful.

Any tips?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you're going to play three at the back without any wing-backs, you're asking quite a lot of your wide players; they're going to have to help keep possession in midfield, provide width in attack, and still get back to protect the flanks in defense. Why would you not want to use wing-backs, just out of curiosity? Does it not suit your personnel, or is it just a personal preference?

If you're going to play three at the back without any wing-backs, you're asking quite a lot of your wide players; they're going to have to help keep possession in midfield, provide width in attack, and still get back to protect the flanks in defense. Why would you not want to use wing-backs, just out of curiosity? Does it not suit your personnel, or is it just a personal preference?

Yes, i was thinking of wingers and having defensive wingers. Not using the wing backs, it was just something i fancied trying to be quite honest with you. But as i got thinking, using the wing backs would likely make it much easier to do. I think i just fancied an extra midfield player without having 4 at the back so just using a flat back 3. I think i could be best sticking with what i've used so far!

I've managed to get a back 3 to work as a possession tactic. Playing 3-1-4-2. The use of a DM (I used anchorman) provides cover for the back 3 which is needed but it also provides an outlet for when attacks slow down, allows the team to work the ball back and rebuild forward.

I used AMR/AML and it seemed to work fine. One of them as an attacking IF and one as a supporting W. They provide a bit of cover coming back and also add a lot of goals going forward.

For your strikers try something along the lines of DLF/AF or DF/AF. One of them will then do a lot of work defensively in midfield whilst the other sits high to threaten.

The key part is your CMs. I've found to combinations that work. DLP/BBM tends to work; one of them will sit back and just pass the ball about and look for the deadly ball whilst the BBM will do all the running. The other combinations is DLP/BWM; the BWM will provide even more cover to the back 3 but also win ball back quickly when you lose possession.

Thanks for your tips mate. I shall take a look, i do tend to use my ST as an AF. Just testing with Bologna (keep going on holiday to game but installed my tactic) 3-2-4-1 with 2 CDM(BWM) 2 LM/RM and AMCL/AMCR and i won away to AC Milan 1-0 with 58%. Tried it with a higher defensive line to see how that would do and seemed to do well.

I do prefer using the AML/AMR so i think i'll give that a try again and change the roles as i tend to use them as inside forwards.

Thanks again for your tips, appreciated.