3 DMs

• Thread starter Thread starter Montanaro
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5K

Montanaro

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows a tactic that uses 3 defensive midfielders.

Interesting actually. That could work well in LLM.

didnt Chile do something similar/ ish in the World Cup? i think it was like this:

CB CB CB
DM DM DM
CAM
ST ST ST

although the 2 side DMs probably were more like wing backs

With the right three DMs, you could have quite a tactic there. a Deep Lying Playmaker, an Anchor Man, and a normal DM....I am going to try that...will post results tonight/tomorrow.

Didn't work for me:

View attachment 106954

However, I'll test it again when I get time, because Man Utd away isn't the easiest. :P

Last edited:
If you have a DM that you can play in the middle of the 3, that can mark, tackle and create, with the other 2 who can mark, tackle and have good pace and positioning ( alot to ask) then it could work. Other than that, i can't see the team creating many chances.

didnt Chile do something similar/ ish in the World Cup? i think it was like this:

CB CB CB
DM DM DM
CAM
ST ST ST

although the 2 side DMs probably were more like wing backs
they were a cm and two wide mids who tracked up and down the pitch

I'm rather bored. And need to start playing Fm again, I'll see if I can make a tactic with 3 Dm's.

I gave it a shot once during an old Man City save. My set up was like this.

GK
DR -- DC -- DC -- DL
DM -- DM -- DM
AMR ------------------------- AML
ST

And, to be fair, it actually worked quite well. Got a few good results in and some unfortunate losses.

supporting ball winning midfielder or support defensive mids on the left and right. Deep lying playmaker or Anchor man in the middle. Thats probably the most hard working midfield in the world. nothing good will probably come out for attack, but a good defensive tactic.

I reckon something like:

GK
DR DC DL
DM DM DM
RM LM
ST ST

It might not be bad, I might give it a try soon.​

Ok just thinking if you play 3 centre backs and 3 DMCs you've got no width in defense so how about;

------------GK------------
-DR-------DC-------DL-
-----DM--DM--DM----
-----------------------------
------------AM------------
--FR------FC--------FL--

If you play with one anchor man DM and one standard defensive mid with both duties set to 'defend' do you think they could make up for the loss of a centre back in exchange for a more balanced defense?
Also, this is just an example so the attacking mid can be changed to a centre mid and the FR and FL can be changed to wingers or strikers.

just going to try and make a tactic with three dm's for Man City, I won't make any crazy purchases, only decent players, such as Annan or Hlousek or something like that, just to make sure I don't do well because of awesome players. Will post in an hour or so about my first few results.

Just made a quick version played 1 game with it, Champions league final against Milan with Chelsea won 4-1

Good result, it looks so weird only having 2 defenders, haven't played an FM10 game without a flat-back 4 yet :P

you sorta got lucky that game, AC Milan didn't really finish well, or Cech played awesome, but still very good result mate :)

Back