3 man defence formations - any success?

FPT

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted going for a 3 man defence, how well did it go? I'm not quite sure how to play it.

iv been using 3-2-3-2, 3 centre backs, limited, 2 cm's, AP and cm attack, 2 wingers, both attack, amc AP, and 2 strikers, one AF and other poacher, use structured, play a possession game, playing as stockport county in varanama conference, working very well for me, especially against weaker teams

I am using the ANTONIO CONTE 352 and works wonders.

I often use a 3-5-2 with one DC in the middle playing as cover, 2 wingbacks with attack duty, 3 central midfielders with mixed roles and duties (depending on the players and the opponent) and a defensive forward/poacher striker pair up front.
Team instructions are possession based (retain possession, short passing, look for overlap etc). High defensive line with a lot of players closing down.
Works remarkably well, getting a lot of assists from my wingbacks.

Based on this tactic: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-15-tactics/183787-duzzy-5-3-2-van-gaal.html (credits to Duzzy)

Let me know if you need more details.

Yes. I have used a 3-1-4-2 with Middlesbrough and it produced great football and success.

The key is to have very hard working players on the flanks. I used ML/R instead of wing backs and if they weren't defensively capable I'd have conceded a lot of goals.

I usually kept all the CB's on defend, had an Anchor man in front with wide midfielders on either side. They both got forward and tracked back incredibly well.

You need a hard working team that is capable of keeping the ball, that is your greatest strength with a 3-5-2.