3 MCs: How to make outside MCs more offensive?

Montanaro

Reaction score
Hey all I'm running a 4-4-2 with 1 DM and 3 MCs. I want the middle MC to sit in the middle of the pitch and pass it around and the DM to sit behind him as anchor. I'm having some difficulties getting the two outside MCs to average a higher position on the pitch than the central MC.

Basically what I want are the two outside MCs to act like withdrawn AMCs. Any ideas?

I've got them set to attacking advanced playmakers. Close to full attacking, full creative freedom, barely on "close down whole field" with run with ball often and run from deep often. They also have crossing often and through balls often with "Move into channels" set. Roaming is ticked on.

I toyed around with this with my last save and the two MCs would really exploit the space between midfield and defense both supplying support to the strikers and creating their own chances.

Anyone got any pointers? Maybe I just need to let them learn the formation first. I also think on my last save, my two outside MCs had proper PPMs for the role.

It is interesting when it works though.

Hey all I'm running a 4-4-2 with 1 DM and 3 MCs. I want the middle MC to sit in the middle of the pitch and pass it around and the DM to sit behind him as anchor. I'm having some difficulties getting the two outside MCs to average a higher position on the pitch than the central MC.

Basically what I want are the two outside MCs to act like withdrawn AMCs. Any ideas?

I've got them set to attacking advanced playmakers. Close to full attacking, full creative freedom, barely on "close down whole field" with run with ball often and run from deep often. They also have crossing often and through balls often with "Move into channels" set. Roaming is ticked on.

I toyed around with this with my last save and the two MCs would really exploit the space between midfield and defense both supplying support to the strikers and creating their own chances.

Anyone got any pointers? Maybe I just need to let them learn the formation first. I also think on my last save, my two outside MCs had proper PPMs for the role.

It is interesting when it works though.

Off the top of my head:

DMC: Anchor man

MCc: DLP (i prefer support here)

MCL/R: Central mid attack. I wouldnt adjust the closing down,if any the closing will mean they close the ball down higher up the pitch. gets forward at all times is a good PPM here

But learning the formation is also very key, wait till the team at least accomplished, if not fluid, across the board, then see how they are playing

What should I have their wide settings be?

Move into channels seems appropriate, but cut inside seems like it could make for some interesting dribbling. But would hugs touchline make them go wide?

People always say that the wide play instructions are only for "on the ball" movement. But I've never seen an MC go wide with the ball while using "Hug touchline"

What should I have their wide settings be?

Move into channels seems appropriate, but cut inside seems like it could make for some interesting dribbling. But would hugs touchline make them go wide?

People always say that the wide play instructions are only for "on the ball" movement. But I've never seen an MC go wide with the ball while using "Hug touchline"

Moves into channels is the best one, especially if they are intelligent MCs with good off the ball skills

Still working on this, I'm curious about what creative freedom I should give them and passing length.

I'm afraid if I give them too much freedom, they won't dribble into space and run from deep often...instead choosing to do what they want.

Also would making the passing length short increase their dribbling? I've had success with both lengths of passing.

What's your team instructions? As Philosphy, Craetive Freedom, Marking, Roaming will have an impact. If you've got those settings where the team moves in the way you mostly want them too, then yeah jiggle up the CMR/Ls creative freedom.