4-1-1-3-1 Believe. from Underdog to Topdog

tuxthedawg

Reaction score
The Background:

I usually do FM journeyman saves, and in the year 2025-26 I find myself managing Sparta Rotterdam.

Media Predicted us to finish 13th and the previous season they finished 14th (i.e., before I Joined the managing role).

Media Prediction 13th.png

The Tactic:

I am a fan of that one particular StephenHK tactic from FM21, it believe it was called '4-2-3-1 Shaolin' hence my inspiration for this tactic. Now, it might not look exactly like '4-2-3-1 Shaolin' in its shape and certainly not in its roles, but it does the job of easing on the intensity and get you similar results.

I believe this tactic could work for overall, subtop and underdog teams in their given league.

*****Just make sure to manage the attacking and defensive lines according to the opponents approach to the game (75% to 80% of the times you do not even have to be bothered by that).*****

Image 1 (Tactic).png

Suggestions to make the best out of this tactic:

- Have tall defenders, including the full backs (6 feet and above).
- BWM with good positioning (12+), tackling (12+), marking (12+) and anticipation (13+).
- An Intelligent Poacher and the rest of the front line as well. Good anticipation (12+), off the ball (12+), decision(13+), vision (12+) and technique (12+).
- WB with good crossing (12+) and technique (12+) and positioning (11+).
- Adapt to changing the attacking and defensive lines according to the opponents approach to the game (75% to 80% of the times you should be fine without changing anything).
- Mirror the formation if you must, which could be much more compatible for your players' stronger foot.
- Set pieces are pretty standard, just make sure to have your tallest players with good heading ability in the either ends of your set piece defensive and set piece attacking lines.

*****I understand that it is not easy to have or get the perfect player for a given position in a short time, so please do not be swatted away by the above suggestions, its ok to miss out on few attributes here and there. And it might take sometime to find the right player, and that is OK. Just try to meet the demands of each roles and their respective attributes.*****

Please not that the above attributes demands can vary for lower leagues, just try signing players with league's average attributes or above to get the best out of this tactic.

Results:

Results 1.png

Results 2.png

Results 3.png

*****You will have frustrating defeats and draws here and there despite delivering better XG, shots on target, etc., but that happens, and that's the reality of football, accept it and move on.*****

Table:

And so, despite being predicted to finish 13th, we won the league in our FIRST SEASON by three points (I know its not much). To give more context, Eredivise is a usually, at least lately dominated by one team, if its not them, its PSV or Feyenoord always giving some solid competition.

Table.png

Conclusion:

I am quite sure if managed couple of things well, you can make any good tactic work, and mine is no different.

- Handpick your staff (bring the best ones you can). Assign coaches accordingly.
- Assign staff roles to the best of their respective abilities.

- Train players to their roles.
- Assign individual trainings where you see the particular player is lacking (particular attribute(s) per se).

- Manage the the attacking and defensive lines according to the opponents approach to the game (it is OK to lower your defensive and attacking lines once in a while).
Example: If the opponents are constantly kicking long balls over your defence and your defenders are struggling to deal with that, just lower the defensive line (it might not work all the time, but it will work most of the time).

- Free agents and Loan-Ins could be such a game changers, especially if you are an underdog team with relatively poor budget and in this case with an added constraint of a league mostly dominated by one team. P.S. the transfer budget given to me when I took over was 1.7 mil and wage budget was 9k.

P.P.S Have fun, and hope this tactic works for YOU or maybe inspire you to create something much more efficient.

***** Outro music - Bella Ciao by El Profesor (Hugel Remix) *****

Attachments

• Varun 4 1 1 3 1 .fmf
    43.5 KB · Views: 99