4-1-2-2-1 Very Rigid (Tested with Arsenal)

AmunRa

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION.
I have been trying for some time to perfect the now popular formation 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1 with an anchor man) and have always come up short. My previous attempts worked but I would concede sloppy goals or get caught out on the counter attack, it was very frustrating. It clicked one day that I might have been over estimating my sides defensive capabilities (I was either Arsenal, Q.P.R or West Ham in this years game.) and was encouraging a very fluid mentality and control. So I decided to attempt a style of play and mentality that I have only used with lower league teams or middle of the table sides like Wigan, Wolves and Newcastle in the hope it would give me the type of football I love watching.I will be posting screen-shots to enhance my points so here it goes.
THE TACTIC.
View attachment 249624
So as I mentioned earlier I switched from a very fluid/balanced philosophy and started developing a very rigid formation with an attacking style of play. (I originally developed it for Bilbao.) I hoped tat making the passes shorter, pressing higher up the pitch and man marking would help my side retain the ball more, win the ball earlier and encourage the players to keep their shape during the defensive phase of play. The question is did it work?

MATCH PREPARATION.

For match preparation I tend to stick to the following;

During pre season:
Very high team work

Week before first competitive game:
High team work

Mid October till end of season:
Average team work.

I look at my next opposition scout reports to determine whether I need to use any of the other match preparation settings and if so set them to very high (A team that concedes from set plays often change to Attack set plays) but I guess you could just set it to attcaking movement throughout the season.
RESULTS AND SUCCESS.
So here are some of my better games and results plus the league table.
View attachment 249626View attachment 249627View attachment 249628View attachment 249629View attachment 249630View attachment 249635View attachment 249631View attachment 249632View attachment 249633View attachment 249634View attachment 249636View attachment 249637

One last thing to mention is training schedules. I usually set my team training to compliment the tactic I will be using during the season. Here are my training schedule screen-shots to help.

View attachment 249663View attachment 249664

I hope this tactic works for you all. I would love to hear how it is going.

Last edited:
looks gr8 but there´s no download link so we can try it

I uploaded it this morning. It should be there now. If not I will put up an external link

*edited to include match prep and training

How does your training work? defensive players for the defend version and attacking players for attacking version? i dont know how it works?

I put the following positions in the defending schedule; full backs, wing backs, center backs, defensive midfielders. For full/wing backs I usually give them offensive based individual training to compensate.
The midfielders, wingers and forwards go in the attacking schedule.

I have to say, this tactic has been totally missed and gone under the radar on this forum. I am using it with Wolves and on January the 2nd find myself 2nd, yes.. 2nd in the EPL. I am also on the verge of a Carling Cup Final and in the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Matt Jarvis and Steven Fletcher have performed fantastically. I have overachieved obviously, so I will definatly need to look into strengthening the squad in this month and the summer because I do remain suspect at the back (OP, what do you do when defending a lead, or up against it away? I think a second tactic for these scenarios would make it totally complete)

But thankyou for a very very good tactic. If you like quick counter attacking ilfootball playing It outwide then this is the tactic for you. Think Jose Mourinho Chelsea 04-06.