kr10

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long time FMer/forum lurker for a while now. Pretty much read most thread on here, but was looking for some advice on a couple of issues I wasn't sure of.

Summary - I'm managing Stockport Country now, after my save last with Milan (10 seasons) because a little too dominant - the 8 best players in the world all played on my team, and I was winning most CL games by large margins, including 4 straight titles to end the save.

This is my first LLM save - got 3 straight promotions (except in VNL where I lost on pens in playoff finals), to sit in League 1.

My first season in League 1, I was top of the table after 30 games, on a great run of form. However, I then went through one of the worst patches of form in my FM career (3 wins in the last 16 games), ended up fourth, and lost in the playoffs. I have the lowest wage budget in League 1, so decided a tweak in my tactics and player investment is required.

Until now, I ran a 4-1-4-1 setup as follows:

GK
FB(At) CD CD FB(s)
A(D)
W(s) CM(At) AP(S) W (At)
DLF (S)

Traditional wingers, not opposite footed players.

Besides my DLF, my CM(At) - who has good finishing - was my second highest goalscorer.

While being good defensively (20 clean sheets in first 30 games) my tactic had a few issues:

- My W(At)didn't contribute enough goal scoring wise
- My AP(S) only had 5 assists all season despite playing 50 odd games
- FB (At) didn't really contribute as expected - wasn't able to get him and the W on his side to play together effectively. I didn't use 2 W (At) as i'm **** bent on not having mirror image attacks on both flanks.
- Last third of the season, I totally collapsed - complacency wasn't an issue according to pre match Assistant advice, so im suspecting that teams got defensive on me and I wasn't able to score.
- I was having some issues getting the ball to my right winger as the playmaker was on the opposite side - however I like my CM (At) to be on the side of his stronger foot so he can score goals more effectively when he bursts forward

I played standard, flexible, with play out of defense, pass into space, work ball into box - no PIs.

Going forward, I am looking at keeping the same shape, but adding more diversity into my attacks - hence 4-1-4-1 diversity. Thinking of a tactic like this:

GK
FB(s) CD CD WB (At)***
DM(D)
W(At) CM(At) DLP(S)** WM (At)*
DLF(S)

* I want to play a right footed player here to act as a deep lying inside forward - PI get further forward, site narrower, cut inside, cross less often, dribble more

** DLP(S) or AP(s) here? I thought DLP would work better, as it would give the WM (at) space to cut into - however, I am worried the distance between him and the CM (at)would become too large. Also, as DLP(S) he will provide more cover for the attacking wingback

*** To aggressively attacking the space left by the narrower, cutting inside WM

I have a few questions guys, would be great if you could help -

1. Would you play an AP or DLP (both support) in the LCM role? I have laid out my thoughts above, but still not 100% sure - also, the DLP in my save doesn't have more risky passes ticked by default, perhaps a bug (I did train him however to try killer balls and dictate tempo)

2. I didn't rotate much at all last season, but didn't have any fitness/fatigue issues... also very careful to not create complacency. Was it just because teams played more defensive/counter against me, so I wasn't able to break them down?

3. Would W(at) and CM (at) work together effectively? I've found Attack wingers to be more effective in the MR/ML strata, and also need the CM (at) to provide a goal scoring threat, just wondering if there was a better way to set this up - I generally try to avoid 2 attacking roles next to each other. I've read all the pairs and combinations guides, unfortunately the link between a Mezza'la and wide player hasn't been covered (yes, I'm italian football fan :)

4. Team instructions - my philosophy of football is pass and move, create chances through intelligent off the ball movement and killer balls into space. I haven't ticked roam from position, since LLM players don't have the mental stats for that. I was thinking of adding lower tempo, as that way I could patiently pass the ball around until there is a team mate in a good position - thoughts on this? Pass into space I want to keep, as it is a fundamental element of the way I like to see football played.

I don't want a high possession tactic per se, just one that is patient enough to get my players into good spaces through good off the ball movement.

Cheers guys and thanks very much in advance!

Last edited: