anderson36015

Reaction score
Hi this is my first posting of a tactic on this or any site so apologies if I miss anything.

As a big fan of managers such as Bielsa, Klopp and Pocchetino I have always been looking to create a vertical high pressing tactic and think I have finally achieved it for this FM.

Into my 4th season on my Southampton save and have finally settled on a tactic that is defensively sound whilst also a big attacking threat. Based on my players i decided on what is a 4-5-1 with a flat midfield 5 but plays out in more of a 4-1-4-1/4-1-2-3. Despite having retain possession this is not a Tiki-taka boring sideways passing tactic, this will play as a fast, aggressive and attacking form of play with possession being dominated through constantly winning back the ball rather than keeping it for long amounts of time.
The wingers and wing backs combine well in wide areas to overload the opposition and the CM/A of the team acts as a Central Winger sort of in the Di Maria role of Real Madrid last season. The CM/D acts as both a shield to the defence and also supplements the attack well keeping the ball moving with non risky passes. At the striker position is a deep lying forward who will drop and open up spaces for the wingers, central winger and BBM to run into creating panic in the oppositions defence. Below will follow screenshots of the tactic and some short analysis of positioning and pressing of the tactic as well as my recent results.

The Tactic:
View attachment 298310

View attachment 298317

Opposition Instructions I leave to the assistant manager.

Analysis: Taken from a recent 2-0 win vs Arsenal

Average positions:
View attachment 298316

As you can see the team sets out almost in a 4-1-2-2-1 although the Central winger (Number 8) is usually a bit closer to the DLF to form a mini triangle on the left hand side of the pitch with the winger to provide overloads. The team stays roughly in this unit the whole time with very little space in between the lines and denying passing lanes to be played through. The Left WB also always seems to be pushed further ahead than the Right WB despite exactly the same instructions but think this is just due to my Left WB's being naturally more attacking.

Passing:
View attachment 298315

From this screen of passing you can see alot more focus on the right hand side this tends to be as the overloads take place on the left the opposition is dragged over then play is switched to the right, although this game was particularly extreme in its right sided play. You can also see although possession is around 55-60% there is not a particularly high passes attempted or completed % for any players. Possession is dominated more through winning the ball back as soon as possible and launching another attack.

Pressing:
View attachment 298314

View attachment 298313

The two screen shots above show the tackles and interceptions made during the match. As you can see tackling takes place very high up the pitch through the high block as well as a large amount of interceptions through the centre of the pitch as the team blocks passing lanes.

Recent Results:
View attachment 298311

I know I also am very cautious when it comes to looking at people posting results as they often look unbelievable but I promise these are genuine we've been on a ridiculous run of form but this is why I've posted this tactic because of these results I've had.

Thanks for reading and would appreciate any feedback as this is my first post despite years looking at the site.

Tactic posted below:

View attachment 298312

Last edited:
training?

Tbh I just use recommended by assistant each match but mostly attacking movement and defensive positioning if its a big away game. For individuals i just put them as training for the players roles in relation to my tactics roles.

and general training?

For general I'll use team cohesion for pre season and a bit into the season, then usually vary between tactical and attacking through the season. Would consider switching to defence if my team started leaking a few goals but hasn't happened as yet.

and what about your campain in CL?

I'd still use recommended by assistant as match preparation as long as you have a decent Assistant, but if not I'd go for attacking for home and defensive for away for both match prep and general training. Depends on the ability of your team if you're an underdog most games it will require more defensive work to implement better pressing.

Jajaja I'm Federico De Zan (one of your players) (H)

It's true. I'm a researcher and we sent our data for this but it's the first time I see it.