4-1-4-1 - Press, Pass & Possession - Very attractive fluid football

burton992

Reaction score
4-1-4-1 - Press, Pass & Possession

View attachment 338692
Wanted to share a tactic I've been having a lot of fun with, I don't have a great deal of time to play so wanted people to test it and let me know their results.

My inspiration for the tactic was Gus Poyet's Sunderland, he has Sunderland playing some lovely football at times using a 4-1-4-1. I wanted to try and replicate it and use it with a bigger team(Mainly because Sunderland are really bad in this game). The tactic aims to play attacking football, while focus on keeping possession, out of possession your team aims to press the ball. Just so you know to replicate the way Poyet's Sunderland plays would be impossible in this game because he makes subtle changes for each game in real life, this is just an attempt at replicating his philosophy in a plug and play tactic. His wingers are also more like inside forwards, but this option is unavailable when playing RM/LM in this game. I could pull them forward into a 4-3-3 but the team suffers defensively as the inside forwards never seem to drop back and defend in this game. I've also found from previous tactics that Wingers are just overall more useful.

The Players

Essentially you are going to need players with a high work rate and you will need some pace in the team for the tactic to work.

The Goal Keeper - A good solid all round keeper.
Recommended - Lloris, Valdes, De Gea, Hart

The Fullbacks - Aims to get forward and overlap the wingers offering width and crosses into the box.
Recommended - Luke Shaw, Baines, Kyle Walker, Clyne
Stats - Pace, Crossing, Tackling, Marking, Work Rate

Centre Backs - Stays back and defends. Will also look to play from the back so passing is a bonus stat.
Recommended - Kaboul, Vertongen, Kompany, Boateng, Hummels
Stats - Heading, Tackling, Strength, Marking, Pace, Passing

Defensive Midfielder - Will drop back and act as a 3rd centre half allowing the fullbacks to push forward. Will in general stay back and defend. (A good player is a must for this position)
Recommended - Bender (Either Sven or Lars), Sandro
Stats - Marking, Tackling, Concentration, Positioning, Work Rate, Teamwork

Centre Midfielder - Aims to get forward and support your striker. Creative and will be your main link between midfield and attack.
Stats - Passing, Creativity, First Touch, Technique
Recommended - Eriksen, Willian, Paulinho, Vidal

Box to Box/BWM - Aims to cover the whole pitch, supporting your attacks and aiming to win the ball back. The ball winning midfielder is used in the away tactic to offer extra defensive stability.
Recommended - Toure, Vidal, Gerrard
Stats - Passing, Stamina, Work Rate, Marking, Positioning

Wingers - Pushes further forward and supports the striker, in possession basically playing a front 3 but they drop back providing defensive stability. They will switch position's during the game so doesn't matter what footed they are. Pace is a must.
Recommended - Lennon, Lamela, Sanchez, Rues
Stats - Pace, Technique, Dribbling, Agility, Acceleration

Striker - Your main goal scorer. Strong & quick, will create and score.
Recommended - Lukaku, Adebayor, Ballotelli, Rooney
Stats - Pace, Strength, Finishing, Heading

Training

At the start of the season I use Team Cohesion/Tactics - Slider At 50% - High

As the tactic is new I'm still trying different things once fluid but for the moment I am using
Ball Control/Attacking Movement - Slider at 50% - Average - Home & Away

Individual I leave to my assistant.

I use no opposition instructions.

I'm still working on set pieces, I will make an update to this post once I have completed, although for the moment you should be fine with the default settings.

I'd also like to just say this game is flawed, you are going to concede silly goals no matter what. For this reason I only train attacking movement and I've noticed a much better return on results. I have also found that general training has very little to no direct effect on results, so feel free to use what you like.

Results

As I have only played 8 games in the league as I am posting this tactic I can't guarantee it will work however I will update with my progress along the way. Adebayor has been an absolute machine for me up front but overall this Spurs side are producing some excellent football which is really fun to watch.

Below I have listed some screenshots for you all to see - feel free to let me know how you get on.
There is two tactics, one for home games and the other away. (always use the away tactic when you are not the favourite) More screenshots will be added in the future.

View attachment 338687View attachment 338686

Download

View attachment 338685
View attachment 338684

Hope you enjoy it as much as me! :)

Last edited:
Good OP, i'm actually a toon fan and i hate to admit it but Gus Poyet has got them playing some attractive football, will give this is a try as i've been looking for a good 4-1-4-1 that sort of replicates Poyet's style. One thing i would say from looking at it though, i think the striker is more of a false 9 in his system.

its also interesting how you don't use work ball into box, thats usually common in possession tactics.

its also interesting how you don't use work ball into box, thats usually common in possession tactics.
I've had poor results with the work ball into the box instruction on previous tactics so I don't use it any more.

Also the tactic is more based on his philosophy (possession football in the 4-1-4-1 formation) and again I agree that poyets strikers do appear more similar to a false 9 than a complete forward. I started off as a false 9 and it wasn't working too well so I switched to a complete forward which better suits adebayor. But feel free to make any changes and let me know how you get on.

I've currently won 11 games in a row (all competitions) and hopefully should win the league. I'm going to post some more screenshots tonight once i've finished the first season. I'm also working on set piece instructions which hopefully I should have finished tonight as well.

But thanks for your post :)

Last edited: