4-2-3-1 / 4-1-4-1 - Tactics and tips (v19.2.3)

SKrawks

Reaction score
Update: I did the same approach to Cardiff, managed to get 1st. I really encourage all of you to try this approach. The results are on this post - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm19-tactics/378143-eskays-cardiff-18-19-epl-1st-position-tactics-tips-v19-2-3-a.html#post3196203

Contents

1. Introduction
2. Results
3. Tactics
4. Opposition Instructions
5. Set Pieces
6. Substitutions
7. Training
8. Team's Happiness
9. Better Players
10. Other Tips and Tricks
11. References and credits

1. Introduction
After playing FM2019, I've realised that your team has more RNG(Random Number Generator) advantage playing at home compared to at away and neutral even with the same "best" tactic. Which means that the opponent has more RNG advantage when they are playing at home and neutral RNG advantage playing at neutral. So I decided to set out to find ways to boost my team's RNG advantage. With the recent set piece "exploits" in the current match engine(m.e v1922), the RNG advantage of scoring goals were of no problem. However, leaking goals playing at away was a big problem. I've tried different ways to counter the problem like changing team instructions or roles, but to no avail. However, at last, I've found the best solution. The best solution was to have a good defensive formation(with attacking tactical styles) for your away games. For home games, an attacking formation, the RNG advantage at home gives a boost to your defense so you do not have to worry much. I've also realised that having the right training can boost your team's RNG advantage.

2. Results
Playing as Chelsea in the 2nd season and having not bought any players for both seasons, this are the results:
competitions.png
PL-table.png
players-stats-epl.png

image.png

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

3. Tactics
I've used TFF tactics as the base and tweaked the line of engagement and defensive line to "higher" because "highest" was prone to being counter attacked. I've also change the corner routine to comedychrissy's as i feel his was much effective. I've also changed the roles for different positions in the set pieces routine to better suit the formation. If you want your striker to score more goals, unlike mine, you could try swapping his position with the MC in the set piece routine. This 2 tactics i have used, my MC scored close to as much as my striker has scored.

Feel free to download this formation, other's formation or create your own formation, the main point here is to have an attacking formation for home and a defensive formation for away and neutral, with set piece "exploits" included in both formation. Doing all this allows you to better increase your team's RNG advantage. Remember to give it time also, as your tactic familiarity increase, your team's RNG advantage increases as well. Take note that you should have "attacking tactical style" for both attacking and defensive formation, this is to increase the RNG advantage to get more set pieces situations hence creating more opportunity to use the "exploit".

Home - Tweaked TFF's tactic
image.png

Away - Tweaked TFF's tactic

image.png

4. Opposition Instructions
I do not use any opposition instructions as i feel it would affect the tactics in a bad way.

5. Set Pieces
Corner by Chrissy Dude
image.png

Throw in by TFF
image.png

Set your DR for corner right and DL for corner left. You do not need to set for throw ins.

6. Substitutions
I normally sub 2 players at 60mins mark and 1 player at 80mins mark. Saving 1 sub until 80mins is to prevent from playing with 10 men if 1 man get injured.

The way I sub is according from top to bottom:
1. Player with yellow card and worse "grey" rating
2. Player with worse "grey" rating
3. If all are "green" ratings, players that is the most tired

7. Training
primary-tactic.png

image.png

I set my away formation as the primary tactic as i want to increase the RNG advantage in my away and neutral games.

I've also set all my weekly team training to set piece as i want to increase the RNG advantage of scoring goals from the set piece "exploits" and decrease the RNG of leaking goals from set piece.

8. Team's Happiness
Remember to keep your team happy and prevent them from being unhappy.

They want a new contract and is a good player, give it to them.
They want to play, try to make them drop their concerns
They want to play and is a improving player, loan them.
They want to play and is a non-improvement player, sell them.

All this allows you to maintain and not decrease your RNG advantage.

9. Better Players
Signing and having better players will obviously increase your RNG advantage.

10. Other Tips and tricks
Pay as much as you want
payasmuch.png

ppXdwNH5

ppXdwNH5

Pay as much as you want for any player without it being deducted from your transfer budget, it will only be deducted from the club's finance. The only thing you have to worry is matching the player's contract and his agent fee as it will be deducted from your transfer budget.

The steps: Transfer > Make an offer > Fee $1 > Additional fee add Installments, 12 monthly, 1 installment > whatever amount the seller will accept.

Instant Results
Instant-Result.png

You will have to download this skin and use it in your FM19: https://www.fmscout.com/a-wannachup-fm19-instant-result-skin.html

The steps: Before "Submit Team" > Instant Results > Do not use match plan > Yes

The match will be played with your tactic and subs.

I have no idea what the other 2 options, Next Match and Last Match, are supposed to do.

11. References and Credits
TotalFootballFan9's Tactics - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm19-tactics/373319-fm19-tactics-tff.html
Chrissy Dude's corner routine - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/fm19...ychrissy-set-pieces-twitch-tactic-thread.html
Wannachupbrew's instant result skin - https://www.fmscout.com/a-wannachup-fm19-instant-result-skin.html

Last edited:
Same opening post approach but with Cardiff

I used the same approach as the opening post with Cardiff season 18/19. I had my board take care of all the transfer dealings. Media prediction for Cardiff was 20th. This was the results. Good thing is, in any other RNG days, Cardiff would still have finished in a top 4. I've tried swapping position in the set piece routine to encourage my striker to score more but this time my AML scored the most. I do encourage everyone of you to try the opening post approach and play with the swapping of positions in the set piece routines. Lastly, im pretty sure that having all the weekly training on set pieces is an "exploit".
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

what are the diff of the 2 posts and the diff tac?

what are the diff of the 2 posts and the diff tac?

Everything is the same except that I swap the position of the striker with the MC for the set piece attack corner and throwin in this Cardiff save. My board sold my striker halfway thru the season so I'm not sure if that setpiece swap did help my striker to score more.

isnt the away tac TFF's shield wall?

Yes it is, both tactics are from TFF. I've used TFF tactics as the base and tweaked the line of engagement and defensive line to "higher" because "highest" was prone to being counter attacked. I've also change the corner routine to comedychrissy's as i feel his was much effective. I've also changed the roles for different positions in the set pieces routine to better suit the formation.

I think what you said about the AI this year is right.....most tac work the same at Home, but most tac will not perform as nice in away games.......the only way to skip a win is to play very defensive and get 1 or 2 goals from setpieces....

But the 4-5-1 setup for away is quite boring....although i tried for a few game and really can stop the AI scoring.

Played few games with it according to your rules. Good news is that i won all of the games, also without conceding any goal. Bad news is only there is almost no highlight to view in each game.....but a win is a win.....one can win very boringly, or to loss very excitingly. LOL

What are the key attributes for each player's role?

Personally, I don't look for any key attributes. However, if you want, follow the highlighted attributes shown when you click on that role in FM. For me, i base my choices on my scouts and coaches report.

Everything is the same except that I swap the position of the striker with the MC for the set piece attack corner and throwin in this Cardiff save. My board sold my striker halfway thru the season so I'm not sure if that setpiece swap did help my striker to score more.

which mc do you swap the striker for,the mcr or the mcl?

View attachment 19952

This tac combo is in fact the best of the best that i tried. I started using this method from 15th Feb game vs Preston. As you see my home and away results.

I conceded only 3 or 4 games all these months, then i lost only 1 game, which i played 4 or 5 subs as i knew they couldn't score 4 to level the game.

The only diff i did, i didn't use his HOME tac as i feel its too boring. I used Knapp 4-1-2-1-2 tac, which i like very much.

how did the transfer of messi go and are you still using this?

ah ok so who have you signed doing this and a ss please and are you still using your tactic

ah ok so who have you signed doing this and a ss please and are you still using your tactic

Everything you need is on the opening post. I've stopped playing FM for a week already but the last I played I used the same strategy.

i have played with this approach for 5 years. And i won 5 premier leagues and champions league in a row.

Most importantly, liked him, i didn't really spend money to buy any players as Arsenal have very good Youth Academy that I just used them....Show u pic