4-2-3-1 -conceding too many goals - what am I doing wrong?

R00dris

Reaction score
I have strong defenders with Inter, yet I'm struggling with poor teams because my defense is conceding many goals despite having very strong defenders. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong with my tactics? Thank you in advance.

View attachment 247791View attachment 247790

What mentality are you using? My first thoughts would be you're potentially something that could be hit on the counter. Your Full Backs will be dependant on the mentality as they are on automatic, then you have your 2 DM's on a support duty so the DLP will try and sit around the half-way line trying to dictate passes while your BWM will push up also and try to chase the ball down, leaving your defence exposed, especially if you are on an attacking duty, your full backs will try and push up higher and then that would leave your flanks really exposed. Maybe change your full backs to a support duty and the DLP to defend rather than support so he sits in front of the back four more and looks to feed the AMC for attacks.

I'm using control/flexible. Is that as risky as attacking mentality?

Control is a little more attacking than Standard, so your full backs will probably look to get forward a bit more than usual, it also as a default changes your closing down a little bit from what I've read, so that coupled with Close Down More could have an effect on the BWM, I'd imagine he is literally closing down everything he can. I'd probably try it with the DLP on Defend duty first and maybe the Full backs on support to see how it goes. Have you seen a pattern in the goals you are conceding, like are they on the counter/from the flanks etc.?

They are most from set pieces, corners, crosses and sometimes dribbling right through my defenders which I find kinda unnaceptable.

I will try put the DMs on defend and the fullbacks on support to see how it goes!

I don't think your huge amount of TIs will be doing you any favours here, generally speaking.

As for the advice given, it wasn't to put both DMs on Defend. One is enough. At the moment, you'll be open in the middle on the counter.

Also, FBs on Auto duty (in a Control mentality setup) is the same as having them on Support, as it means they will Auto set to a Support Duty anyway. It will make no difference to switch them.

I don't think your huge amount of TIs will be doing you any favours here, generally speaking.

As for the advice given, it wasn't to put both DMs on Defend. One is enough. At the moment, you'll be open in the middle on the counter.

Also, FBs on Auto duty (in a Control mentality setup) is the same as having them on Support, as it means they will Auto set to a Support Duty anyway. It will make no difference to switch them.

Which TI's do you think are the most important in your opinion to secure a solid defence?

Which TI's do you think are the most important in your opinion to secure a solid defence?
There isn't a magic combination. There are many different setups that can work.

Any excess TIs that I could get rid off though?
Most of them, tbh. You're doubling/tripling up on some instructions.

Try this : go through each one you have selected and give a good reason as to why it is selected. Maybe even post it here.

Hi.

Also try to combine your 3 central midfielders with defend/support/attack duty combined. If you have an AP - A with Kovacic, and then maybe consider your BWM - S if you are trying to accomplish a counter-attacking formation/style. Then your DLP on D, if you still want to have a DLP in the lineup. Maybe a DM - D or a CM - D would be a better choice.
Morale is to atleast combine the three duty's one way or another, whatever best suites your team.

Same applies to your wide combinations with fullbacks and wingers/IF. If you make your IF with support duty, then set your fullbacks to A duty will make them avaliable longer up the field for set plays with your IF and your striker. This can lead to some exciting combinations.
Opposite, if your IF are set to the A duty, make your fullbacks use S duty.

Just a tip :)

I'm having my second season with Kaiserslautern, in my first season I got promoted, now in my second season just got relegated and I'm having the same problem - I concede tons of goals (34 games and conceded 90 - wtf?). During season I tried everything.
Most of the time I played same tactics as you are playing, except instead of AM I have one BBM and instead of AMR and AML just MR and ML which I set to wide midfielders (attacking). And now I did few minor changes as Conflictinbanno recommended. Set my DLP to D and DM supporting. Full backs support and wide midfielders attack. And last two games - 1:0 against Paderborn (11th) and 0:0 (away match) against RBL (8th). Unfortunately too late, season is over :D

Use the DM (D) RGA (S) CDM couple
the fullbacks can push forward as much as they want with this couple, works great