Centre Back (Defend)
Centre Back (Defend)
Deep Lying Playmaker (Support)
Ball Winning Midfielder (defend)
Winger (Attack)
Inside Forward (Support)
Advanced Playmaker (Attack)
Advanced Forward (Attack)

I don't use any individual player instructions.

The team instructions are below:-

Rigid
Control
Retain Possession
Short Passing
Work Ball Into Box
Play Out Of Defence
Exploit Middle
Play Wider
Drop Deeper
Lower Tempo

Is there anything you would add or remove in team instructions as I want to play a possession based game.

1. Change the FB support to WB support
2. Id have DLP Defend and BWM Support
3. Id have IF Attack Winger support (and player instructions stay wide and shoot less for the winger).
4. GK player instructions distribute to defenders (NOT to particular defenders).
5. Be careful with the control philosophy. If you play against a better team than you/one who are likely to attack you control will cause problems.
6. Width as well as depth (def line) should be opposition oriented imho.

Thank you for the advise. Would you keep the full back (attack) or change him to wing back (attack). I'm going to remove exploit the middle, play wider and also drop deeper. May also change the philosophy from control to counter.

Thank you for the advise. Would you keep the full back (attack) or change him to wing back (attack). I'm going to remove exploit the middle and also play wider shouts.

1. I thot I didnt make myself clear sorry - FB attack behind the IF and WB auto (I know I said support but its too dangerous) behind winger.
2.Dont remove exploit the middle necessarily. As for depth and width react to opponents and during matches.
3. Maybe make one of the two cbs a BPD?
4. Go here for more suggestions/ideas: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...506-ask-uncle-mad-uncle-mads-box-choccys.html

If opposition has AMC use one of the two dms to man mark him + OIs close down/weaker foot/tackle hard.

Also if its the 4231 with the DMs sitting deep you ll have some problems with pass shorter (which you ABSOLUTELY NEED for POSSESSION tactic)

I've now decided to go with the following player instructions

GK:- Distribute to defenders, short passing
RB:- Short Passing, Shoot Less, Fewer Risks, Dribble Less, Tight Mark
LB:- Short Passing, Shoot Less, Fewer Risks, Further Forward, Tight Mark
CB:- Short Passing, Ease off Tackles
BWM:- Short Passing, Tight Marking
DLP:- Direct Passing, Close Down More
W:- Shoot Less, Stay Wide, Further Forward, Cross Aim Far Post
IF:- Short Passing, Fewer Risks, Roam
AP:- Direct Passing, Roam, Close Down More
AF:- Short Passing

Well give it a go (with a test save maybe). Cos I have a feeling you re overcomplicating things (but I really may be wrong and it would be very interesting to hear how you are doing. What team are you?

I decided to be Man City whilst I play around with some of the settings. I've always liked fast short passing but have noticed by using higher tempo the opposition are creating several chances against me so I am lowering this to lower tempo. I'm trying to stop the opposition from playing so am playing much higher defensive line and also hassle opponents. I'm not going to use tight marking as have found the better players skip past my players and due to the high defensive line are through on goal quite quickly. Most of the opposition goals come from cross as I think this is a result of playing narrow. The reason behind this was that I wanted the team to be solid defensively as well as close together on attacks so I could implement the passing game successfully.

Will do mate. Just a bit concerned with the defensive line because my defenders aren't blessed with much pace so i think we could be undone with a few balls over the top.