maxchaplin55

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think it's safe to say 4-2-3-1 is the most popular formation in world football, and is the formation I usually turn to, as I feel it offers the best variation.

However, I get left confused, as I like reading guides and some posts by the experts on here, and there are various rules such as the two central midfielders should be holding players, never closing down excessively and almost never to venture forward. I also read that if you have an attacking wide player, the supporting wide player on his side shouldn't also be attacking duty (makes sense to me). Guides also generally suggest not to use more than 3 attacking players.

This is all fine, but while I'm largely sticking to these rules when creating tactics, and finding the game hard, but just about playable most times, I will stumble across various "4231 Destroyer" type tactics on here, which just about break all these rules but have just won the Champions League with Scunthorpe United, unbeaten in 278 games.

My main point is how do these tactics do so well with both sets of wide players all on attacking duty, and with only one of the central midfielders holding, the other often roaming from his position frequently?

If if anyone could shed some light or spark a debate that'd be cool.

No offence to those tactics maker but I do think some of their TIs/roles do break the ME. Afterall, the AI is limited and is probably programmed to make standard and logical tactics.

Put it this way, creating coherent tactics based on real life principles will see you be consistent in any version of FM, any ME.

Yeah to be fair good points, for some reason I temporarily forgot it's impossible for the match engine to think of every unrealistic idea to counteract. It would be interesting to hear a point of view from one of them though who think their tactic is realistic and that they're attack is the best form of defence?

I will personally always follow real life principles when creating tactics, it makes sense to, I wouldn't know where to start in trying to undo the match engine.

I agree that tactics can be made with abnormal formations, roles, which is actually working in the game, but still, the more standard formations/roles/duties will be used in the most consistent performing tactics. This is not for advertising my tactic Puskas IV, but is is a good example:

2223543-20160513-cVHdfj.jpg

You have a balanced setup on the field, not too aggresively attacking on the wings, both CM is closing down and holding their positions in attack and playing on standard mentality. It works.

I agree that tactics can be made with abnormal formations, roles, which is actually working in the game, but still, the more standard formations/roles/duties will be used in the most consistent performing tactics. This is not for advertising my tactic Puskas IV, but is is a good example:

2223543-20160513-cVHdfj.jpg

You have a balanced setup on the field, not too aggresively attacking on the wings, both CM is closing down and holding their positions in attack and playing on standard mentality. It works.

Do you get much from your Inside Forwards? I have found them useful insofar as they move infield and create space for an overlapping full-back, but they don't contribute much directly themselves. Jay Rodriguez and Dusan Tadic were both pretty tragic for me playing from the left for Southampton, but Ryan Bertrand was my best player bombing down the left from full-back and getting crosses in.

Do your IFs get many goals? Do they get on the end of your full-backs' crosses?

View attachment 147770

I prefer a Shadow Striker_Attack in the No.10 role, with a Deep-Lying Forward_Support ahead of him. Works very well with overlapping full-backs who get crosses in. Get one who is good in the air and he'll be your top scorer (I'm not at Saints anymore, but I picked up Kevin Prince Boateng on a free from Schalke and he was excellent in the SS role - see attached).

Do you get much from your Inside Forwards? I have found them useful insofar as they move infield and create space for an overlapping full-back, but they don't contribute much directly themselves. Jay Rodriguez and Dusan Tadic were both pretty tragic for me playing from the left for Southampton, but Ryan Bertrand was my best player bombing down the left from full-back and getting crosses in.

Do your IFs get many goals? Do they get on the end of your full-backs' crosses?

View attachment 1056080

I prefer a Shadow Striker_Attack in the No.10 role, with a Deep-Lying Forward_Support ahead of him. Works very well with overlapping full-backs who get crosses in. Get one who is good in the air and he'll be your top scorer (I'm not at Saints anymore, but I picked up Kevin Prince Boateng on a free from Schalke and he was excellent in the SS role - see attached).

The IFs are only the 3rd best scorers in my Trofense save second season. I have to add that my loaned ST and AMC are by far the best players in the squad, so better IFs might have scored more.

2240981-20160601-XnxsEf.png

View attachment 147766

Last edited:
Interesting stuff, I usually have contrasting wings, with a winger one side with supporting full back, and a 'cutting in' wide player the other side with an overlapping wing back.

It adds diversity to my attacks, and am experimenting with a 4-4-1-1 tactic I made with Crystal Palace, am getting huge success after a difficult start. Wide players in Wide Midfield strata are proving essential.

4-2-3-1 is a great tactic and I have been using it a lot. Recently though I started using the 4-4-2 balanced tactic and I have been getting great results. Specially in the goals scored and attacking stats. Having 2 strikers is making my team score more goals. The trick here is to cover up well for that extra striker in midfield and make sure the gaps are covered well. Here is video guide for this tactic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tGb7ynlnEk