4-2-3-1 Tactical help, AC Milan.

Hertzberg

Reaction score
Hello, i have a problem with my AC Milan team, not the team in general, we play amazing football, but 1 position are lacking behind.

I can't post screenshots for some reason, so here is my lineup.

Poacher(A)

IF(A) AP(A) Wing(S)

DLP(D) B2B(S)

FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) FB(S)

My team instructions is: Close Down More, Stay On Feet, Play From Defence, Pass Into Space, Work Ball Into Box.

My 2 strikers are Carlos Bacca/Alexandre Pato, they should score goals! But they tend to shoot the ball into the defenders. That's the story for my 4 offensive players.

Also my midfield plays quite bad, the players at B2B are Kevin Prince/Jose Mauri. And my DLP(D) are Andrea Bertolacci/Kristoffer Ajer.

My style of play is short passing controlling football, i like to play fast and my striker should always be the main goalscorer.

Hope you can help me!

Last edited:
I may have to mention that my defence plays well, but when the players higher up the pitch gets outplayed, they can't stand the pressure, and naturally lets in goals.

The one thing I'd say is a bit off would be your wide play. AML/IF is on Attack but will mostly cut inside and the FB on Support won't offer much width and danger on the left flank. On the right you have winger and full back both on support, again not much movement, width and attacking on the wing.

I'd try change duty of wide roles, maybe left back on Attack and AML on support, while giving your AMR an attack duty to go together with a supporting right back. This way you should see more balanced attacking both from wings and center of the field, and more space for the striker as well.

My style of play is short passing controlling football, i like to play fast and my striker should always be the main goalscorer.
This stuck out for me.

Is this not a bit of a contradiction? Or what do you mean by playing 'fast'?

Well, i love to play football at high speed, while still having the ball. But i slowed down the tempo, and i really don't see a difference ingame, so that one is not going to happen. My problem is more the goalscoring and defending in midfield.

Well, i love to play football at high speed, while still having the ball. But i slowed down the tempo, and i really don't see a difference ingame, so that one is not going to happen. My problem is more the goalscoring and defending in midfield.
Was going to mention, you're not play at a high tempo at all.

You're unbelievably open, that's why you're conceding goals. Your B2B is a poor role choice for the formation, which typically sees 2 holding players or a double pivot, allowing for 2 attacking fullbacks. Right now, he'll leave your DLP exposed. To add to it, both your fullbacks have get further forward as PPMs.

I don't rate a poacher as a lone forward much. It can work in specific setups, but you're slowing everything down so the ball will slowly work its way forward. By that time, there's limited space and the poacher is probably outnumbered. That's why defenders are blocking shots easily.

So what if i try a CM(D) and a DLP(S), would that work better?
And with the striker, will Complete forward(A) do the trick?

So what if i try a CM(D) and a DLP(S), would that work better?
And with the striker, will Complete forward(A) do the trick?

Generally yes to both questions. Try it and watch a couple games. The striker in a 4231 has to do more than score. But what do you expect of him

Honestly, i'm a bit of a tactic nooby. I tried reading the links you gave me, but it is quite complicated. I honestly just want my striker to score, and i have had great experience with the poacher in earlier games.

I really don't know what to do, because i feel like i tried everything at this point.

Honestly, i'm a bit of a tactic nooby. I tried reading the links you gave me, but it is quite complicated. I honestly just want my striker to score, and i have had great experience with the poacher in earlier games.
Wwfan's link is extremely simple and llama3's isn't that complicated, really?

The AI gets better every version. At some point it catches up with people. That's the point where people decide to learn what's going on, struggle on or download tactics because they can't be bothered.

Reworked.

So i reworked my tactic, after the new update, and my offensive players is getting goals, even my poacher. But, now my defense is horrible.

View attachment 213980View attachment 213979

The idea behind my tactic, is a solid backline,(FB's(S) and CD(D)) where they all stay in line and defend like a "team". Therefor, no Pi's in the back 4. My DM as a defensive midfielder, should run and protect the backline and break up play, he actually does this pretty well.. My 2 CM's, is a DLP(S) and a AP(A). The idea behind this, is that the DLP brings up the ball from deep, and plays it either to my AP, who spreads out play to the wide men, to my IF(A), who cuts inside and shoot, or plays it deep for my poacher. Or plays it to my winger(S), who runs up the flank, and make an early cross, or from the backline, and finds my poacher or IF in the box.

Also the reason behind my TI's, is that i want to play the ball around in high tempo, and wait for the opportunity to play it deep, or out wide. Btw, does it make sence to play in high tempo and overlap, and also work the ball into the box?

Does this make sence? Or should i be more specific.

Last edited:
What you've said makes sense, but you mention defensive problems and nothing specifically about them.

Well, for example i just played a game against PSG, and multiple times, my defenders get caught pressing the opponent, and they run right past them. And they often miss headers and tackles, but this first started happening after the new update. Also, for example, there can be 2 of my defenders against one striker in the box, and the striker still wins 8 out of 10 times, really frustrating!

Last edited:
And by the way, i have my 3 offensive player closing down much more, and my CM's closing down more. Just trying to take the pressure of my defence

And by the way, i have my 3 offensive player closing down much more, and my CM's closing down more. Just trying to take the pressure of my defence
Have a look, but it may have the opposite effect of what you want.

You may find the CMs being dreadfully out of position due to the pressing, which means the DM needs to step up, which in turn means a DC need to step up. You could be creating holes all over the place which the next strata tries to 'fix'.

But what about the 3 players in front, should they still close down much more?

And then i come to think of OI's, if i don't make any of my players close down, then what if i tell them to via the OI's?

And then i come to think of OI's, if i don't make any of my players close down, then what if i tell them to via the OI's?
The only difference will be that you'll be asking your players to close down certain opposition players more, where if it's done via PIs, your players will close everyone in their range more.

Oh okay! Thanks a lot for your help so far. By the way, do you think a B2B Midfielder would do me any good, instead of a DLP(S)?