4-2-3-1 Wide persistent problem with gap between defense and midfield

Mulagar

Reaction score
4-2-3-1 Wide

DLP/D - BBM/S
WB/Au-CD/D-CD/D-FB/Au

From googling a little bit this problem is triggered when your midfielder pair is AP/DLP-support and BWM-defense which is what I had on my old tactic. Supposedly it can be rectified by changing it into a DLP-D and BBM-S pair but I still am having the same problem.

Any ideas as to why and how to fix it ?

Really really dont want to play a DM since 4-2-3-1 gives me lots of goals and won my Man Utd PL, FA cup as well as taking it to CL final. Mostly because the AI is stupid at managing its players' fitness.. but still !

I'd try CM/D. The problem with using BWM in general is they will break formation to chase the ball, which leaves space behind. You could also try keeping your current player instructions but reducing fluidity.

If there's a gap, you could push higher up.

The problem with a 4231 is that the two cms are holding players. It is recommended to use two on a defense duty
However if you use a deeplying playmaker on support he still has the hold position shout by default you can link him up with a mc on defend duty. Which should reduce the gap. I personally play a cm and a dlp both on defensive duty it works a charm

in a 4-2-3-1 for me personally u need to have 2 allround cms if u want the more attacking of the two to still make further forward link up and movement use a b2b or roaming playmaker beside a dlp defend works a treat except for big games where u can switch to a counter tactic with a ball winner and dlp support

Your best bet is to go with a high line. The DLP-D will sit infront of the back four most of the time, but the BBM will leave a gap behind him most of the time while the DLP-D will cover his side. What are your team instructions?

Try your right CD as stopper. He must be quick and good player overall to cover the gap effectively though.