4-2-3-1 with inside forwards..help.

lidor250

Reaction score
I want to play 4-2-3-1 with inside forwards in my liverpool save but it doesnt work..i dont know why..i have gaitan and muniain and they dont create real chances to suares..which team instructions to give to the team so it will work?
Help please

If you're playing without a number 10 then you could consider using Suarez as a False 9 or even perhaps a DLF, the idea being that as he picks the ball up deep he'll attract an opposition CB, creating space in the newly vacated channel for an Inside Forward to make a direct, diagonal run into.
Lineup Builder: Football Formations and Tactics
I've quickly made a diagram to illustrate this.

If you are playing with a number 10, however - as I assume you are - you have to be wary that an Inside Forward's tendency to cut inside can often lead to your 10 being crowded out.

As you can see, any sort of Attack duty on your 10 will push him into the congested zone, especially if your IFs are attacking-ly orientated - which, seeing as you have Gaitan and Muniain, they probably should be. Therefore you're probably looking at an AP(S) role for your 10 to give him that side to side motion, hence allowing him to operate in the spaces left by the IFs.

I know this might be a bit long-winded and perhaps not even the answer you are looking for, but I wholeheartedly encourage you to apply this sort of thinking to your tactic building. It's the FM equivalent of using that move Flash in a cave in Pokemon; no longer do you have to stumble about, aimlessly trying out combinations that may or may not work. It can be a lot of work but it is so worth it, believe me.

I wish you all the best anyway.

If you're playing without a number 10 then you could consider using Suarez as a False 9 or even perhaps a DLF, the idea being that as he picks the ball up deep he'll attract an opposition CB, creating space in the newly vacated channel for an Inside Forward to make a direct, diagonal run into.
I've quickly made a diagram to illustrate this.

If you are playing with a number 10, however - as I assume you are - you have to be wary that an Inside Forward's tendency to cut inside can often lead to your 10 being crowded out.

As you can see, any sort of Attack duty on your 10 will push him into the congested zone, especially if your IFs are attacking-ly orientated - which, seeing as you have Gaitan and Muniain, they probably should be. Therefore you're probably looking at an AP(S) role for your 10 to give him that side to side motion, hence allowing him to operate in the spaces left by the IFs.

I know this might be a bit long-winded and perhaps not even the answer you are looking for, but I wholeheartedly encourage you to apply this sort of thinking to your tactic building. It's the FM equivalent of using that move Flash in a cave in Pokemon; no longer do you have to stumble about, aimlessly trying out combinations that may or may not work. It can be a lot of work but it is so worth it, believe me.

I wish you all the best anyway.

i listened to all you wrote..
still there are not results..
i tried a lot of options..still almost there are no goals....and a lot of loses..
why it doesn't work?!?!

i listened to all you wrote..
still there are not results..
i tried a lot of options..still almost there are no goals....and a lot of loses..
why it doesn't work?!?!

Have you got a screenshot of your whole tactic I can look at? Often people tend to focus too much on the forward line and neglect the arguably more important midfield and defence. If you're playing with a front line as attacking as the one you have, you need to make sure that your midfield 2 are disciplined and stay in a position to cover.

Player roles such as BBM, BWM and AP by definition draw the player out of his starting position, making you more susceptible to counter attacks as your holding midfielders aren't in a position to defend.

You shouldn't underestimate the importance of morale and team cohesion either. If your team is down in the dumps mentally or if you've just brought in tons of new players (I have this problem a lot) then it's going to take some time and good results to get them firing on all cylinders. There's a lot more to football than just tactics!

no friend it is peculiar..i know these rules about the CMs..i am playing with DLP-S and BWM-D so there won't be counter attacks..
but still..doesn't work..
maybe it is because of the new players..but i know it too..and i am doing a lot of friendly matches and work hardly about team cohesion..

i think it is just uneffectial..IFs with attack duty in 4-2-3-1..
if you think it can work you can create such a tactic, upload it and i will be happy to test it..

i stared a new save..and playing 4-3-3 and i play with Suares as DLP and Sturridge and Pedro as IFs and it works much better..

but i will be interest to check 4-2-3-1 that works if you can create it..but i am passemistic about that.

Currently I have no real motivation to create such a tactic, but I can maybe help regardless.

This tactic, although it uses Wingers instead of IFs, has worked for me in the past. The wingers score a decent amount of goals already but I'm sure if you tweak about with it you could get it to work even better for you :)

I'm glad to hear about your new 4-3-3, my favourite formation at the moment!

In addition, if I do end up using a 4-2-3-1 tactic with IFs I'll let you know.