CB - Centre Back - Defend
FB - Full Back - Defend
CM - BWM - Defend
CM - DLP - Support
W - IFW - Attack
W - W - Attack
FW - DLF - Support
FW - P - Attack

I'm wondering should I change the BWM into an Anchor Man that sits just infront of the defence to help reduce the amount of goals I am conceeding.?

Team Instructions
Philosophy:- Fluid
Strategy:- Standard
Roaming:- Stick To Position
Marking:- Zonal

All other instructions left as default

All Suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

hey bud :) I was hoping this would be a release from you as you have been working on a 442 for around 18 months now :)

have you got Fm13 yet or still on Fm12?

what happened to the thousands of PM's I sent you regarding all of this? seems like you back at square one again??

Hi Mate
I've now got FM13

Just been playing around with different formations but i have found this one suits my team better. Although I have read that playing MR/ML instead of AMR/AML is better in this version do you agree? I tried the control style of play as per the instructions you sent in the PM's for FM11 and FM12 I tried it on FM13 but didn't seam to work. :(

Last edited:
Hi Mate
I've now got FM13

Just been playing around with different formations but i have found this one suits my team better. Although I have read that playing MR/ML instead of AMR/AML is better in this version do you agree? I tried the control style of play as per the instructions you sent in the PM's for FM11 and FM12 I tried it on FM13 but didn't seam to work. :(

I play with AMR and AML and it works just fine, it depends on your player settings and the players around the players with regards to positioning and movement etc.. also AI instructions..

you can easily see when teams are pressing your players and if your players have hold up ball and limited instructions with not so good stats they can be caught in possession etc (just an example)

then increase tempo so you move the ball around quicker and try and exploit them pressing so high etc...

its all down to your instructions, I have a narrow 4132 tactic which works really well, some people have strange formations that also work ;) its just up to you to find what works best for your players and your squad, keeping in mind the level of team you are managing and opposition, meaning not setting very fluid/attacking away from home against City when you are QPR :)

just common sense :)

you do know what you are doing, so just spend the time and alter things to get the best out of your squad

Thanks mate for the advice, I think off the top of my head the defensive line is just below push up and everything else is set to bang in the middle. I may therefore increase the tempo a bit. I had a look in the editor yesterday and said wolves tempo is 15. Is that the kind of tempo I should be playing? although the average of my back 4's positioning and pace is 12 am I right in thinking I should drop this to avoid the fast strikers. Most of the goals I'm conceeding are coming down the centre of the park when the midfielder players a through ball into the centre fwds.

Thanks mate for the advice, I think off the top of my head the defensive line is just below push up and everything else is set to bang in the middle. I may therefore increase the tempo a bit. I had a look in the editor yesterday and said wolves tempo is 15. Is that the kind of tempo I should be playing? although the average of my back 4's positioning and pace is 12 am I right in thinking I should drop this to avoid the fast strikers. Most of the goals I'm conceeding are coming down the centre of the park when the midfielder players a through ball into the centre fwds.

not sure about editor stuff, never touch it :) someone with a bit more knowledge on that can assist you more

you can use shouts to do this, "drop deeper" so you can make quick accurate changes to your squad without changing the settings too much

with Wolves, a balanced/counter attacking/quick tempo/direct passing game with a normal defensive line should be a good start

I would also look at maybe playing a DM and have a flat 4 man midfield with your wide players attacking down the flank supporting your lone striker

this will ensure you yourself do not get hit on the counter as your DM and more defensive mids will sit back as well (well you know what I mean)

Last edited:
not sure about editor stuff, never touch it :) someone with a bit more knowledge on that can assist you more

you can use shouts to do this, "drop deeper" so you can make quick accurate changes to your squad without changing the settings too much

with Wolves, a balanced/counter attacking/quick tempo/direct passing game with a normal defensive line should be a good start

I would also look at maybe playing a DM and have a flat 4 man midfield with your wide players attacking down the flank supporting your lone striker.

this will ensure you yourself do not get him on the counter as your DM and more defensive mids will sit back as well (well you know what I mean)

Thanks mate sounds the ideal tactic just got to decide who to leave out up front Doyle or Blake lol. Am I right in thinking that the DM should not be given hold up ball instruction?

I look forward to seeing your tactic released in the near future :) you should have the knowledge now after all of our discussions over the past year or so :)

good luck mate!

Sorry for been annoying over the last year since loosing Dad my head has been all over the place. This is going to be the tactic that I now work on and hopefully release in the near future once I am happy with it. :)

I've made changes to the might and magic tactic. I've changed from Fluid to Rigid and have also instructed my wingers to cross to the far post. The other alterations I made was to tell my DM not to hold up ball and also told the DLP not to hold up the ball. Hopefully these changes will help me improve even further. :)

One of the things I like about this version of FM at the end of the season you can see how many goals you conceded as a result of set pieces. I think my lowest was I conceded 4 from corners but none from indirect or direct free kicks. Most of my goals conceded came in open play and usually down the middle. So I might instruct the two centre backs to loose mark instead of tight mark to see if that works and maybe instruct them to close down in own area instead of own half. :)

One of the things I like about this version of FM at the end of the season you can see how many goals you conceded as a result of set pieces. I think my lowest was I conceded 4 from corners but none from indirect or direct free kicks. Most of my goals conceded came in open play and usually down the middle. So I might instruct the two centre backs to loose mark instead of tight mark to see if that works and maybe instruct them to close down in own area instead of own half. :)

always set your cb to loose marking mate, all of my tactics have that setting (M&M does not as it has not been updated for the new patch)

still working on it, actually designed a new 442 as well

I think this may have been my issue then as the only thing I altered was putting the DLF to DM and changing from attacking to counter. Although as mentioned in my previous thread I have since made other alterations. I will certainly change the centre backs marking though and to lower their closing down. :)