Tako 400

Reaction score
I've created a rough idea of what I want my 4-3-1-2 to look like and how I want it to perform, but I'm posting this in case any of you think I'm doing something wrong.

1, My intention is for the threat of this formation to come from its creativity in the center of the pitch.

2, I don't want to play possession football because I want very creative midfielders using their vision and passing to unlock the defense with risky passes.

3, I will be using wing backs to stretch the pitch and provide wide support when necessary.

4, I want my players to build from the back and press the opposition.

5, I need my offensive front 3 to be able to link up and provide support to one another.

Formation:

Goalkeeper instructed to pass it short.
WB (Support) CD (D) CD (D) WB (Support)
AP (Support) DLP (Defend) AP (Support)
AP (Attack)
DLF (Support) AF (Attack)

So far, I'm using a standard mentality and flexible approach.

In terms of TIs, this is what I have decided on:

Close down much more: to press the opposition and win the ball back as soon as possible
Play out of defense: to prompt the defenders to give the ball to the creative midfielders
Roam from position: for the midfielders and front three to be able to move around and offer support to each other
Look for overlap: for the wing backs to bomb forward and offer wide support
Play slightly wider: to allow the team to exploit more space
Lower tempo: to give the creative midfielders time to lift their heads and pick out passes

This is my basic blueprint so far. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It all sounds okay, you may want to watch your midfield four carefully though as you have 3 advanced play makers and 1 dlp. But it fits what you want in the idea of a creative midfield. Also the look for overlap option I don't think means your wing backs will bomb forward, it just means your players will look for that player making an overlap when they have the ball, but this should be okay with wing backs on support as they tend to get forward and back.

It looks okay to me though to how you've described it, from a personal thought I would be worried about counters if both your wing backs are forward as the only midfielder who will be deep is the dlp so that's another to keep an eye on, could see it as a balance of risk and reward! Best way to find out though is to watch a few matches and post anything you think is an issue and what you might think could cause the issue, then others could help point you in the right direction.

Thanks, mate. I'll try and figure out what I'm going to do about my defense.

For me, I would be quite happy facing a team playing this tactic, as if my defence stays compact and doesn't close you down, you're going nowhere basically, I always think on rushing midfielders are a problem. I am not sure how to get so many playmakers working, but if you're going along that route I'd suggest a runner, so a roaming playmaker in your case.

IMO i think that the tactic is too attacking leaving a lot of space in the wider areas, what i would do is change to a 4-4-2 diamond, making the DMC (Half Back), ensuring that the TI's suggest having a higher defensive line then i would change one of your AP's, in the midfield to a BWM (S/D) so you would have stability at the back, whilst having enough support from the players attacking, also you could possibly have 2 tactics one with attacking mentality, for those teams you know you will dominate and one counter, so your men would stay behind the ball and then work on the approach. Hope this helos