andyfaichney

Reaction score
4-3-3 Mourinho's Chelsea! 2004/06!

View attachment 298616

Everyone knows that Arsenal went unbeaten in 2003/04, but it’s worth pointing out that Chelsea only lost one game the next season, a surprise 0-1 defeat away at Manchester City. OK so, Jose Mourinho had inherited a great squad, which had been added to over the summer with the likes of Cech, Drogba, Carvalho and Ferreira, but to take charge of a side and lead it so convincingly to the title (they won it by 12 points) should be commended. That season’s Chelsea side also hold the record for the fewest goals conceded in a Premiership season – just 15 in 38 games, whilst 25 clean sheets is also a Premiership record.

Mourinho played a 4-3-3 system that worked so well because most English teams were still fixated on playing 4-4-2, which Chelsea’s system worked brilliantly against.

As Mourinho has said,

‘Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things’.

It perhaps seems foolish to try and expand on that, but Mourinho also had the luxury of a striker who could worry two centre-backs at the same time, crucial in creating the ‘extra man’ he speaks about in midfield.

View attachment 298617

Chelsea were yet another side who focussed on getting their full-backs forward to support the attacking players, who generally looked to cross the ball rather than get into goalscoring positions themselves. The wide players became adept at drawing the full-backs infield in order to create space, which would then allow the full-backs room to pick out a cross for Drogba.

Mourinho was also keen for his wingers to frequently switch wings!

I tried to implement Mourinho's 4-3-3 tactic with Chelsea which led them to a very successful season! Everything highlighted in RED is what i added to the tactic!

Now time for some screenshots to prove that i have had tremendous success trying to implement Mourinho's Chelsea!:
View attachment 298621 I set the Player Roles to what i thought worked best with the player and the sort of style they played between the seasons of 2004/06! Wing Backs attacking, Wingers to provide crosses to the Striker, and also making sure my wingers switch! this is exactly what i have done! :)

RESULTS:

View attachment 298630
Winners of the Community Shield!
win.png
Chelsea 2-1 Man City
goal.png
Juan Mata
goal.png
Eden Hazard

FIRST LEAGUE GAME:
View attachment 298631
win.png
Chelsea 9-0 Reading
goal.png
Ashley Cole
goal.png
Gary Cahill (2)
goal.png
Juan Mata (2)
goal.png
Frank Lampard
goal.png
Demba Ba
goal.png
Eden Hazard
goal.png
Ian Harte o.g.

Thats it for now will update soon!!

Please Leave Me Feedback! Would really like to know how this tactic does?:)

CLICK THIS TO DOWNLOAD!

VIDEOS:
[video=youtube;vJAoI20iGoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJAoI20iGoo[/video]

[video=youtube;PtmHj7zL4bM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PtmHj7zL4bM[/video]

[video=youtube;OivZt91qPLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OivZt91qPLE[/video]

Last edited:
Match Training is done by my assistant and so is my team talks and i dont use shouts :)

It looks good however Mourinho very fluid? His Chelsea team were surely rigid. The Lampard role id say wasn't a DLP, it should be attacking supporting Drogba as he scored shed loads. Also Mourinho was a fan of the nike defence at Chelsea so one of the CBs was covering the partner who was usually a limited CB (John Terry)

It looks good however Mourinho very fluid? His Chelsea team were surely rigid. The Lampard role id say wasn't a DLP, it should be attacking supporting Drogba as he scored shed loads. Also Mourinho was a fan of the nike defence at Chelsea so one of the CBs was covering the partner who was usually a limited CB (John Terry)
I have changed it to rigid and moves Lampard up playing him as AP and changed John Terry to a Limited defender!! Fist game i won 6-0

I have changed it to rigid and moves Lampard up playing him as AP and changed John Terry to a Limited defender!! Fist game i won 6-0

Well im glad it worked, im not saying that those changes would make it a better tactic im just saying it would make it more like Mourinho's style. Trouble with trying to emulate real life tactics is that they don't always work in FM.

Very nice read, we all miss Mourinho at the brigde!!! <3 ...

However how much have you tested this tactics? based on what you have written in here you have only played like 3 matches with it? :)

Good luck mate!
Will be interesting to see how it does in a few more games, doing brilliantly so far by the looks of things.

Well im glad it worked, im not saying that those changes would make it a better tactic im just saying it would make it more like Mourinho's style. Trouble with trying to emulate real life tactics is that they don't always work in FM.

Totally agree with this comment, I have been trying to re-create Real Sociedads counter attacking style this year and after months of testing & tweeking etc I just cannot find the right balance for it to work.

Would be intresting to se how this could do the trigger in a lower league side maybe Burnley? Having Vokes and partiulary Austin on top and then Wallace and Stewart on the flanks!

Tried it out more with JP's tweaks, or suggestion? Changing anything away from home do you?!

:)

Looks good, however Mourniho playing Very fluid tactic? and at chelsea?

Not saying its a bad tactic, but the midfield doesnt reflect how we set up under Mourinho. Mikel(Makelele) should be set to an anchor man, Makelele sat in front of the 2 CBs, rarely pressing the other team centre mids. When we had the ball he would distribute it as quickly as possible to another CM, fullback/CB. Ramires(Essien) should be set to box to box rather than ball winning midfielder, Essien was such an engine and got up and down the pitch. Lampard shouldn't be a deep lying or advanced playmaker, he neither sat deep and pulled the strings or played high up the pitch in an advanced playmaking role. He should be Centre Mid - Attack with runs from deep set to often. He would get involved in the build up and make late runs into the box to bang in goals.

would you get hazard and mata switching posiotions, like robben and duff used to do?