taengsic

Reaction score
It seems I've jumped onto the bandwagon of trying to replicate real team tactics. I've seen a lot of recreation of Klopp's Dortmund and Guardiola's Bayern Munich, so it took me awhile to decide on what other teams I'd try and replicate. The choices came down to Atletico Madrid or Real Madrid and I ended up choosing the later.
When Ancelotti took over Real Madrid, he knew the team had quality, but stressed that they needed to find the right balance. In order to do so, he went through many systematic and formation tweaks, ranging from the 4-4-2, 4-2-2-2 variant, 4-2-3-1 formations. He eventually settled on the 4-3-3 as both and the players themselves found that they were more comfortable with this formation.

A key part of Ancelotti's 4-3-3 formation is his use of Angel Di Maria in central midfield, basically as a "central winger." Normally, wingers would use their speed down the flanks to race past defenders and whip in crosses, but because of their positioning on the flanks, they are limited to a 180 degree range of movement. So, in a sense, good defenders can predict their movements. But when positioned in central midfield, they now have a complete 360 degree range of movement. This makes it much more difficult to defend against.

Tactical Recreation

View attachment 389353

Ancelotti has often said that he wants the team to "find the solution with the fewest amount of passes." With a slow buildup, the oppositions have time to limit the space the forwards can work in. So he stressed quick and direct movement. The team instructions are meant to try and replicate that.

Player Roles

Complete Wing Backs: Your typical Marcelo or Jordi Alba. They will contribute greatly to the attacking phase by delivering killer crosses, but it is also important that they are defensively capable as well.

Central Defenders: Your no nonsense central defenders. Their main job is to stop the opposition forwards and break down plays. Because of the high defensive line, they need to have a bit of pace to close down opposition players.

Deep Lying Playmaker: The Xabi Alonso role. He sits in front of the defense and looks to dictate play. He is responsible for initiating counter attacks with long balls to the flanks. Also needs to be defensively sound to help break down plays.

Advanced Playmaker: Your Luka Modric. A mobile playmaker who acts as the link between the midfield and attack. Needs to be creative in order to unlock defenses.

Central Midfielder: Your "central winger". Ideally, he needs to possess the raw stats of both a playmaker and winger, thus becoming a "central wing maker." Good dribbling and speed are needed to race past opposition players.

Inside Forwards: Your Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale. They need to possess raw speed, technique, and finishing ability. They will look to cut in from the flanks and run at defenders.

Complete Forward: Will be responsible for pressing the opposition defenders and drifting wide to provide space for the inside forwards and central winger.
Liverpool Test

No signings were made for this test. Liverpool was predicted to finish 7th (if I recall correctly), but for the first half, we are at the top of the table and eight points ahead of 2nd place Everton. And after the full season, we finished with a record 96 points, blowing everyone away.

View attachment 389352View attachment 389351View attachment 389350View attachment 389349
View attachment 389348View attachment 389347View attachment 389346View attachment 389345
View attachment 388278View attachment 388277View attachment 388276View attachment 388275
View attachment 388274View attachment 388273

Version 2
I did some tweaking to the tactic. The changes for version 2 includes: Complete striker is now a Deep-lying striker, Counter mentality, and a few team/player instruction changes.

The reason for this tweak is because it seems like the AI have started to adapt to the "central winger" tactic after just one season. The results are still just as good. We won the league and FA cup again and made it to the quarter finals of the UEFA champions league - losing to Bayern Munich on away goals. This was done with almost the exact same squad (only about 2 new names e.g Andre Ayew and Gino Peruzzi).

View attachment 381395View attachment 381394View attachment 381393View attachment 381392

Opposition Instructions
None

Training
During Preseason, set to Team Cohesion (Very High) and focus to Tactics. When the season starts, set training to Attacking and focus to Defensive Positioning.

For individual training, set it to whatever position your players are played as. The central midfielder should be set to Winger to help boost his speed, dribbling, and crossing stats.

Tactic Download
Note: If anyone can share their results (so I can add it to this first post), that'd be great!

View attachment 389105
View attachment 381390

Last edited:
A faithful recreation of Ancelotti's tactics with good test results? Good work :)

Nice. Good luck with this.

PS did you use my format for the writeup? Looks very familiar ;). Anyway hope this works out really well.

In the OP the striker is a 'Complete Forward' in game he's a 'Deep Lying Forward' is this a mistake or a tweak?

Nice. Good luck with this.

PS did you use my format for the writeup? Looks very familiar ;). Anyway hope this works out really well.
I was looking at other people's thread but your format was the most organized, so I used it. Hope you don't mind

In the OP the striker is a 'Complete Forward' in game he's a 'Deep Lying Forward' is this a mistake or a tweak?
I must've uploaded the wrong tactic. It's suppose to be Complete Forward as they drop deep and move wide. I've reuploaded the correct one.

i'm trying it with my new career with inter milan, hope this will suit well to my squad

file cannot be imported it says in the game here

game dont let me import the tactic, what is the mentality and organizing in this tac? pic of tactic screen?

Last edited:
if you are recreating Carlo Ancelotti's tactic you need to get it right...... they dont play attacking football its a fast COUNTER attacking and its more 4231..... really bugs me when people put recreating its like they dont understand what recreating means!!

Great post dude. But I think you should make 2 tactics. This one and an other with counter mentality and drop deeper. The second one suit more against strong opponent like Bayern. If you watched the game, Real wasn't playing high all the game.

To retsinnab69: Ancelotti doesn't play 4231

if you are recreating Carlo Ancelotti's tactic you need to get it right...... they dont play attacking football its a fast COUNTER attacking and its more 4231..... really bugs me when people put recreating its like they dont understand what recreating means!!

No mate, he's right. Its you that is getting it wrong. He has played TWO games playing fast and counter attacking games against Bayern, that is all. He plays attacking football normally. Did you not see any games when he was at AC Milan, Chelsea, or any other game with Real Madrid apart from the semi final against Bayern? So theres no need to be bugged by anything, I think the creator of this tactic understands perfectly how Ancelotti plays football, it seems you don't though if you are going purely off two games against Bayern Munich.

well done you watched two games of football and become a real tactic master!! even the real players have come out and said they are a quick counter attacking team! Bale said it in his press speach this week. if you look closely at real games 80% of this goals will come from the break.
No mate, he's right. Its you that is getting it wrong. He has played TWO games playing fast and counter attacking games against Bayern, that is all. He plays attacking football normally. Did you not see any games when he was at AC Milan, Chelsea, or any other game with Real Madrid apart from the semi final against Bayern? So theres no need to be bugged by anything, I think the creator of this tactic understands perfectly how Ancelotti plays football, it seems you don't though if you are going purely off two games against Bayern Munich.

The attacking and counter mentalities are very similar in game. It's certainly possible to play counter attacking football with the attacking mentality.

He doesn't play with a 4-2-3-1 anymore, it's more of a 4-3-3 with an inverted midfield of xabi alonso, modric, and di maria.

As for the counter mentality on FM, from my experience, it makes the team site back too much (allowing the opposition to work their way into the box) and don't break fast enough once the ball is back in possession (even with a higher tempo instruction). Which is why I set it to attacking. Along with hassle opponent and higher tempo, it helps win back possession and initiate quick attacks.

Great post dude. But I think you should make 2 tactics. This one and an other with counter mentality and drop deeper. The second one suit more against strong opponent like Bayern. If you watched the game, Real wasn't playing high all the game.
I was thinking of that but haven't had time. If I recall correctly it was sort of a deep 4-4-2 right?