It could be a 433 with CR high up in the pitch as a IF [a] maybe, Bale on the right as a DW (S), and trio midfield, with the most left one being CM [a] to recreate Di Maria's role + striker set centrally-right and this should give a 442-ish feeling with the midfield trio compensating for CR and shifting to the left.

He doesn't play with a 4-2-3-1 anymore, it's more of a 4-3-3 with an inverted midfield of xabi alonso, modric, and di maria.

As for the counter mentality on FM, from my experience, it makes the team site back too much (allowing the opposition to work their way into the box) and don't break fast enough once the ball is back in possession (even with a higher tempo instruction). Which is why I set it to attacking. Along with hassle opponent and higher tempo, it helps win back possession and initiate quick attacks.

I was thinking of that but haven't had time. If I recall correctly it was sort of a deep 4-4-2 right?

I also made these 2 tactics in fm, and for that one I had go with a 4-1 DM - 3 -1-1 with CR7 in AMCL position as a Shadow Striker and Bale as a Winger A. In Dm I have Alonso as DLP (D). Work well.

I also made these 2 tactics in fm, and for that one I had go with a 4-1 DM - 3 -1-1 with CR7 in AMCL position as a Shadow Striker and Bale as a Winger A. In Dm I have Alonso as DLP (D). Work well.

is that on the website?

Updated the first post with screenshots for a full season. Finished with a record 96 points and 21 points clear of 2nd place (Man City).

Sounds interesting. I might try it if I have time. Did you set the mentality to counter? Like I said before, I didn't have much luck with that..

I have a few questions,

AMR should be left footed, AML right footed ?
What type of ST is needed, speede one or strong tall ST ?
And what if I go down to 10 men ?

I'm using it with Aston Vila and i'm 7th in premier league. Tactic is performing well, I have weak players but I will improve some positions on the end of the current season. Cheers :)

Last edited:
using your tactic with arsenal, works really well thank you

just started using your tactic kinda mid season late jan, so good so far exept losses against barca in copa del ray wich i played with counter was afraid to use attacking against them, use ronaldo as the striker so he can replicate his real life scoring, so far so good 33 goals so far 29 in the league, i?ll keep you posted

I have a few questions,

AMR should be left footed, AML right footed ?
What type of ST is needed, speede one or strong tall ST ?
And what if I go down to 10 men ?

I'm using it with Aston Vila and i'm 7th in premier league. Tactic is performing well, I have weak players but I will improve some positions on the end of the current season. Cheers :)
Yes inverted inside forwards. As for the forwards, I used Suarez and occasionally Iago Aspa so they don't have to be strong or very speedy. Just overall good balanced. But technique, off the ball movement, dribbling comes to mind.

just started using your tactic kinda mid season late jan, so good so far exept losses against barca in copa del ray wich i played with counter was afraid to use attacking against them, use ronaldo as the striker so he can replicate his real life scoring, so far so good 33 goals so far 29 in the league, i?ll keep you posted
Cool. Post up your results when you can =]

Very nice results with Ronaldo. What about your striker? Suarez had 34 goals in 42 appearances overall as the striker during my Liverpool test

ronaldo was my striker, used benzema on the left most often

Version 2
I did some tweaking to the tactic. The changes for version 2 includes: Complete striker is now a Deep-lying striker, Counter mentality, and a few team/player instruction changes.

The reason for this tweak is because it was mentioned before that "attacking" mentality didn't fit the counter style of Real Madrid. Thus, this new version uses the counter mentality. The results are still just as good. We won the league and FA cup again and made it to the quarter finals of the UEFA champions league - losing to Bayern Munich on away goals. This was done with almost the exact same squad (only about 2 new names e.g Andre Ayew and Gino Peruzzi).

View attachment 381385View attachment 381386View attachment 381387View attachment 381388

version2 is on the first page

Last edited:
gonna give this a try with arsenal, should i go with v2 or the original?

The attacking and counter mentalities are very similar in game. It's certainly possible to play counter attacking football with the attacking mentality.

This I definitely agree. Even playing Control mentality allows you to counter attack effectively so long you are playing on high tempo.