ellismcfc

Reaction score
Hiya guys, I've studied many counter attacking tactics (Mourinho etc) in real life. It's quite hard imo to emulate these tactics in FM due to the match engine imo, but i've attempted to create a counter attacking tactic. It's a 4-3-3 formation.

7191bb3345062837afb3b5cf4cfa339b.png

I'm looking for someone to test this tactic as I feel it has a lot of potential. any testers, tell me what's good, what needs to be improved, and provide some screenshots please. The players needed in each position are as follows:

GK: standard keeper. Think Hart, Buffon, Neuer etc
FBs: Good tackling, pace, acceleration, stamina, crossing and other physical stats needed as they will be up and down the pitch. Think Lahm, Baines etc
CB- standard CB. Think Kompany, Papadopoulos etc
BPD- needs to be good on the ball as they will play lots of through balls, so as well as the CB stats, they need good passing and (maybe) decisions. Thinks Hummels etc
DLP- A crucial player in turning defence into attack, needs to be a brilliant passer, as well as good decisions, and they need to be competent at defending without possession. Think Pirlo, Alonso, Mikel etc.
BBM- Needs to be powerful, and have brilliant stamina as they are going to be up and down all game. Needs to be quick to turn defence into attack. On top of this, all of the standard BBM attributes are important. Think Yaya Toure, Fellaini, Marchisio etc
CM- Will need to be a good passer, as they will continue the work of the DLP and move the ball around, and will also move into the channels. Could do with being a good finisher, as they will arrive late in the box to finish chances. Also need good long shots (although long shots are set to rarely). Think Lampard, Gerrard, Michu etc
IFs- set to switch wings and also man mark opposition full backs, so they need to have good work rate, and be fast, have good decisions, good passer, good at crossing as well. Think Schrulle, Bale, Di Maria etc.
CF- the focal point of the attack. Needs to be aerially strong and good on the floor, and needs to finish chances. Think Cavani, Falcao etc.

The entire team needs good stamina to get up and down the pitch, and good decisions to make the right move on the break, and good off the ball, teamwork and work-rate.

ALSO!! This is important. Don't just use the counter strategy. Switch with attacking whenever you feel necessary (home games against smaller teams etc). Teams like Mourinho's don't just use a counter attacking strategy, they are diverse and sometimes choose to attack teams directly.

I think I've covered everything, if not feel free to ask:) tactic link is below:
4-3-3 counter.tac

Currently I have two successful tactics, the first is a control/attack type and the second is a solid and very defensive counter attack.
Been trying the bridge the gap between the two with limited success and to be honest this has hit the spot perfectly so far.
I play with the exact same formation so I was instantly fluid with this tactic as our two philosophy's are similar.
My tactic is based on my impressions of how Italy played Spain in second half of the Confed Cup final, Italy where gassing a bit with tired legs, shape and positioning was paramount with Spain pressing for the winner.
Weirdly enough yours is more like how Italy played in the first half.
Having only played it 3-4 times (when the situation allowed) its maybe too soon to judge and say what if anything needs changing, but over all yea I like it very much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated. I have a poor computer so rarely get to test this tactic but I had 5 games with West Brom (a good side imo as they are physically good in CM), and had 3 wins, and 2 draws. Was quite impressed at the speed the midfield broke from my own area, going to continue and see how it goes