kr10

Reaction score
Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ey2s0gwd5rhfd6r/4-4-2_Modern_FM20.2.fmf/file

Hello All,

Big FM and football fan for many years, particularly on the tactics front. By far the most intriguing element of the game for me. I've spent countless hours understanding, research, and applying tactical concepts from here and from real world write-ups to continually improve my knowledge, whilst at the same time building my own tactical philosophy. I've created many tactics over the years in FM, and have done most of what the game has to offer, including long-term LLM saves. However, the tactic that I created in FM 20 for my beloved Milan has been by far the most effective, and it's not even close.

What brought me so much joy about this tactic is not just the results, but the style of play and th fact that it just makes sense from a fundamental standpoint - I am talking about intelligent and cohesive movement, opening up and exploiting of space, defensive cover and balance, and putting players in the best possible positions to succeed.
The aim was to not only share the tactic, but also provide a write-up explaining how I built a tactic from the ground up, using concepts related to space, movement, supply, and demand that we should be thinking through.

The tactic: a 4-4-2, with a modern twist:
A.C. Milan_ Overview-3.png

My tactical philosophies and how I used it to build the tactic

1. Build-up play: Variability. In short, I want a least three distinct routes to goal. Through the left flank, through the center, and through the right flank. I want each route to goal to be different - so, you'll never see me create a tactic that is symmetric across role and duty combinations on both flanks. I do this primarily to improve consistency of results, and make it harder for the AI to defend against me. When you have the same type of attacks going on in both flanks, it becomes much easier to defend against. Counter with fast wing-play? Sit back and defend. Possession based relying on overloading the central areas? Push up and restrict space. By varying routes to goal, it becomes much harder for the AI to game plan against you.

2. Attacking Philosophy: Attack Space. I believe in creating and exploiting space through the intelligent and cohesive movement of players, in a carefully drawn out manner, rather than a ball-to-feet possession based approach. More Klopp than Pep, if you will. To do this, you need 3 things 1)Players creating space for others to exploit 2)Players making runs into the space 3)Having the right players in the right positions to supply the players attacking space. Creating this requires a careful understanding of the movement of the players, who they function with each other, and how it affects the overall balance of the team.

3. Defensive Philosophy: Zonal High-Block. As a Milan fan, Sacchi's high-pressing zonal 4-4-2 was certainly an inspiration for this tactic. In FM, I have used a control setting, with slightly higher pressing and closing down. Any higher, and i've found that the team loses it's defensive shape and gets pulled out of position, making a cohesive offside trap impossible. Any lower, and balls get played in behind your defensive line too easily. Also, I do not select tighter marking because in my mind, this goes against the philosophy of an offside trap, where defenders need to be in a line marking their zones and not running after players.

Building the 4-4-2

1. I decided early on that I wanted to employ a Wide Playmaker, and build the tactic around him. To do this, I needed a few key elements to work out: 1)Create space for the WP to operate in 2)Provide enough runners off the ball, from different starting points and in different directions, to give him enough passing options.

With the wide playmaker cutting inside, I knew I needed an attacking full-back to take advantage of the space he was vacating on the flank, and also to provide a threat out-wide. An attacking full-back was the ideal choice here; they work beautifully together, each creating space for the other to exploit.

2. With a wide playmaker and an overlapping attacking full-back on one flank, I knew I wanted a different route of attacking play on the left. The obvious and stable choice here was a winger supported by a less attacking fullback, to maintain balance in the team. A winger attack and full back support was the sensible option. Again, I was looking to balance support and attack duties on both flanks, and create variability in my play.

3. CM Pairing - this was key to get right. The RCM needed to do 2 things
1)Cover for the attacking full-back and
2)Combine effectively with the WP.

A defend duty midfielder was the clear choice here. Firstly, he can cover for the marauding RB, and secondly and more importantly, he wouldn't step on the shoes of the WP, who likes to take up narrow, central positions. A support duty CM wouldn't give the WP enough space to operate in. I decided to go with the CM-d which is a balanced option. the RCM, WP and FB all function beautifully together, creating overlapping triangles that are very hard to track. For the other CM, I knew I needed a support role (from the pairs and combinations guide, so I went for a CM-s, although other support duties should work quite well also. His job was to 1)balance the central midfield 2)link up with the wingers and strikers

4. Striker Pairing: It was key to have one support and one attack duty striker, the question was which duty on which side. After some thought, I decided to go for the attack striker on the right slot, and the support striker on the left slot. The reasons, again, are related to creating and exploiting space. 1)The attack striker would push up, giving the WP plenty of space to operate in, and also making runs which the WP can feed 2)The support striker can drop deeper, and play in the onrushing winger on the left, or his attack duty strike partner. I went for an AF(a) and PF(s) - After much experimentation, I found that PF works better than either DLF or CF for the balance of the team as a whole. You can always use PPMs for the PF to bring out their strengths (dribbling, passing, etc.)

In essence, almost all of the players in the team have been deployed to help create space for teammates playing next to them and/or provide passing opportunities by making runs. For example, the RCM, RB and RCF are all designed to to get the best out of the WP. The whole system works as one.

In short, I have built the tactic around the WP. In possession, he has 5 passing options:

1) Cross-field ball to the attacking winger
2) Ball down the channel for the attack duty striker
3) Overlapping ball to the fullback
4) Safe pass to one of the CMs.

Putting it all together:

Whilst I undoubtedly have a world class team, this is a tactic that I expect to work well across all levels, which is why I wanted to share it and get your feedback. The reasoning is that, from a standpoint of fundamentals, it just makes a lot of sense and works well:

1. 3 players making attacking runs, all from different stata (Demand)
2. Each attacking player has at least 2 support/defend duty players to feed them (Supply)
3. No one is running into each others' toes; everyone's movement is designed to give each other space to operate in
4. Balanced defensive philosophy without any major weaknesses (save for the space between attack and defense)
5. Large variability in play - Standard wing play on the left, midfield overloads and overlapping play down the right, and two strikers supporting each other in the center

Results (sample season):
Italian Serie A_ Stages.png

Required player attributes

Note: The information below (including footedness) is based on the above screenshots. However, you could easily use a mirror image of the tactic instead with opposite footedness, if your players are better suited.

GK: Nothing specific
CB: In addition to normal key CB stats, good teamwork stat is key for an effective offside trap
RB: Attacking RB with good work rate, passing, and crossing. PPM - Get forward when possible
LB: Defensive LB with a focus on good passing stats as he will get the ball a lot
CMs: Both CMs absolutely must be all rounded with high work rate (15+). This is the best way to make the 2 man mid work. In addition, the CM(s) will benefit from vision, flair, passing, and long shots to make an attacking contribution. The CM (d) will be more of a defensive player, while the CM (S) will be better at passing, vision, long shots etc. The CM(s) should have 13+ in marking/tackling/positioning as well - don't try to force an advanced playmaker into this role.
ML: Left footed winger with crossing, dribbling, and finishing (he will find himself in goal scoring positions reasonably often)
MR: Left footed play maker. PPMs - Dictates tempo, tries killer balls often, cuts inside from right wing
Left striker: Support duty striker, with good balance and strength, in addition to finishing and creativity attributes. Height and jumping is critical. Right footed player.
Right striker: Attack duty striker, with good finishing, composure, off the ball, heading, speed, and jumping (13+). Right footed player highly preferred to take first time shots and play in crosses from the channels.

looks very interesting ! i will follow this to see if and what results other users get

This works on the latest patch? 20.4.1?

looks very interesting ! i will follow this to see if and what results other users get

I have been using a version of this since FM 19, made a similar thread about it then as well - it works very well on FM 20 as well, I made a thread over on SI forums, as well as tried it myself and got some friends to try it.

But more than just results (which can easily be achieved through ME exploiting techniques), this tactics aims to use real-life concepts to create beautiful pass and move football - you will enjoy it!

how is your strikers performans ?

The tactic is designed to get the best out of the advanced forwards. He has 5 players (winger, WP, fullback, support striker, CM) all feeding him passes. You can expect a lot of goals from him - helps if he is tall and good at heading because of the crossing element.

Been trying this out for my stuttgart save after getting promoted to the bundesliga first season. Sitting 4th after 20 games, The football is very good to watch and the strikers are scoring boat loads of goals. Most of my conceded goals come from the CM - D getting caught in possession, I think this is due to my players having below average off the ball and work rate so there are not making themselves available for the ball. Also ive struggled vs 3-5-2 with wingbacks trying a couple of different things in the upcoming games vs these teams and see if they can be stopped.

I loved the presentation, and I love the tactic.
I've been trying to use a WP for the beginning of this opus, never came close to what you are offering us.
Brilliant mate!