4-4-2 in defence, 3-5-2 in attack

Ghost77

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to replicate a system in which you are defending with 4-4-2 and attacking with 3-5-2. The magic is in left back, who when attacking goes forward and the right back becomes one of three defenders at the back. But i can't get the right/centre back role get right.. Tried all roles, but he never goes to the centre enough to actually make back three.. How would you set up the roles? Thanks

I am ready to provide any needed info.

The transition looks like that:

View attachment 102437View attachment 102436

Thats a tricky one. Tried myself something similar without actually having any success. The closest to what I wanted to achieve came with a Defensive Full Back with "sit narrower" and "close down much less" instructions so that he would not close down wide opponents. But still he didn't look like a center back

Thats a tricky one. Tried myself something similar without actually having any success. The closest to what I wanted to achieve came with a Defensive Full Back with "sit narrower" and "close down much less" instructions so that he would not close down wide opponents. But still he didn't look like a center back

Yes, that's exactly the problem. I experimented with the inverted full back. His position is very close to centre back, but he is driving forward and is naturally much much higher in average position than other two centre backs.. Maybe i could train him to stay back all times, but that seems stupid to me..

NO WAY the inverted wing back will do what you imagine... Even with "stays back at all times". I think that a new position will be featured in the coming years, something like a wide center back or a central full back ( LOL )
But for now it seems impossible. I'm trying for years to do something like Guadiola's formation on Bayern but had no success whatsoever. The closest i ever got was an assymetric 352 with a left wing back on support and a right winger on attack. I played wide and when defending the WB was drawn back forming a 4 line defence but still not exactly as i wanted

I'm trying to do the same for many years now, because thats how my IRL favorite team played in many of its European Adventures. When one of the two full backs was forward, the other was a third CB at the back.

Its been a while i ve tried to do it, i was trying something like same mentality - close down - for all three players (CB, CB, RB) plus hold position for the full back.

I dont think its possible to work, your only solution is probably a deep 4-4-2 with one of the DMs a Half Back.

It's a pitty it isn't included already as many teams are using for a few years now. Maybe the "generic role" would help. Just the blank role, which could be tweaked exactly how you want. IRL managers also give intructions to the player and do not tell them "you will be full back or inverted full back today".. They aren't limited by three or four roles and can give player any possible instruction..