What exactly are the defenders doing that is so horrifying?
Are they giving the ball away leading to goals against? Or maybe making mistakes to cause this?
If neither of the above, are you maybe getting caught on the counter so are slightly out numbered, or maybe you're findig the opposition are constantly beating you in the same way (for example the left back who could be on an attack duty, so they have more space).

I've just read above you mentioned as many goals from the flanks as well as the centre...how do you mean? Is it just a winger/full back running down the wing and crossing the ball which is then put back in the net? Is it one cm just playing a long ball past your CB's? Add a little more detail to how these are happening.

Maybe post your up to date tactic now that you've helped improve the transistion/attacking phases along with the TI's and any PI's and people may be able to see what is causing the defence to be so leaky.

Ok at the end of the post I upload the tactic..
Probably I suffer opponents attack from the flanks cause I set quite narrow. But I also suffer central attacks, maybe because my midfield is too offensive? With 4-4-2 it's possible, but I suffer even if the opponents didn't play with offensive midfielder. I have a cm on defend and another on offend. Tryed also bwm on defend anc cm on support, but didn't run well.
Individual errors are usual considering that I play in Vanarama North.. So I don't consider them..

Your defence was fine in the beginning and you mention that you made changes and now you're having defensive issues.... so WHAT changes have you made? What does your setup look like and what exactly is the issue now?

My defend was never fine :D I alternate good matches with others in which the others scores 3/4 goals!
Now, every match I suffer this :(
Here I report the tactic..

View attachment 214103

View attachment 214102

Remember, by default the CM(d) closes down a lot, so he will get pulled out of position. Couple that with your attacking CM and you will have massive holes to exploit.

Both of your fullbacks are attacking, which probably means they are in the same sort of space as your supporting wingers.

I'm sorry to say you are a total sitting duck and I am surprised you've still got a job :)

Given you are playing supporting wingers, you could easily pull them back to the ML / MR slots and not lose much attacking threat, consider changing at least one of your fullbacks to support and try a complementing narrower role on the side of your remaining attacking fullback to encourage overlaps and variety.

Hopefully you'll get more advice from better people than me, but it's a start.

My defend was never fine :D I alternate good matches with others in which the others scores 3/4 goals!
Now, every match I suffer this :(
Here I report the tactic..

View attachment 978273

View attachment 978274
It's a 4-2-4?!?! It will be open at the expense of being very attacking.

Which formations do you typically face?

You're trying to press hard when the CM/D will be left alone to fend for himself. Any team playing just slightly direct to get past the front 5 (7???) will find masses of space.

Last edited:
Remember, by default the CM(d) closes down a lot, so he will get pulled out of position. Couple that with your attacking CM and you will have massive holes to exploit.

Both of your fullbacks are attacking, which probably means they are in the same sort of space as your supporting wingers.

I'm sorry to say you are a total sitting duck and I am surprised you've still got a job :)

Given you are playing supporting wingers, you could easily pull them back to the ML / MR slots and not lose much attacking threat, consider changing at least one of your fullbacks to support and try a complementing narrower role on the side of your remaining attacking fullback to encourage overlaps and variety.

Hopefully you'll get more advice from better people than me, but it's a start.

My idea was to transform the 4-4-2 in a 4-1-3-2 in defensive phase to give less space between defense and midfield. The fullbacks are not the problem! They are setted on attack trying to create 2 vs 1 on the flanks in offensive phase, but I ensure you that they work well in defense.. Now my problem is the lot of chances I conceed in the central zone.

It's a 4-2-4?!?! It will be open at the expense of being very attacking.

Which formations do you typically face?

You're trying to press hard when the CM/D will be left alone to fend for himself. Any team playing just slightly direct to get past the front 5 (7???) will find masses of space.

I suffer every kind of formation.. 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-1-2, 3-5-2...
I turned the two wings in md/ms, but the situation is the same.. I always have eight players behind the balls line. But with or without pressing, my opponents do whatever they want. Lot of passages with my defenders totally passive, also if the opponents are outside the box.
I'm going crazy, I don't know how to be more concrete in defense..

I suffer every kind of formation.. 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-1-2, 3-5-2...
You're trying to press teams who outnumber you in the middle. All they'll do is pass around you. It's probably not impossible to press them, but you're going to have to set up extremely well to press teams who outnumber you in a key area such as the midfield.

You're trying to press teams who outnumber you in the middle. All they'll do is pass around you. It's probably not impossible to press them, but you're going to have to set up extremely well to press teams who outnumber you in a key area such as the midfield.

So how to set up a good defense with 4-4-2?
I understand it's difficult cause the two striker that'll never help.. But I can't believe it's impossible to have a solid defense! I don't want to any cost to press. I thought it was the only chance to suffer less the opponents offensive.. But it doesn't run well so... what I have to do?