4-4-2 - Modern (Control and Attack Space)

Hi kr10!

Is it possible to upload the 4-1-4-1 on the screenshot above?

And also a mirror version of the tactic???

I'm exited to test the tactic!

I'm trying to upload the .fmf file using mediafire but it's not showing up, not sure why... I'm not really good at this stuff.

Anyway for the 4-1-4-1 you can use screenshot to build it, player instructions should be based on the players you have, not something generic.

The 4-4-2 mirror tactic is the identical tactical but you switch everything from left to right. In this case, your winger and WP would be right footed, and your strikers would be left footed. Left full back becomes attacking, LCM becomes the CM(d), etc

PS - I think the 4-4-2 is a better tactic overall, the 4-1-4-1 was the base from which I built the 4-4-2, and it is good defensively, but I like playing with 2 strikers

May I ask what your results have been with this Inter team?

Sure. I am only in the beginning of the season, so here are my results so far: https://gyazo.com/1521cc4d55004a4805daf7c50a4ba18b

To clarify: I use another tactic in the game against Chelsea (a friendly).

Roma got the stronger team in the Serie A so far (they are leading with 100% of victories). The loss to Cagliari were "one of those games". We dominated, but they made goals from 2 crosses.

Facundo Colidio, my Advance Forward, scored 9 goals in 7 games (4 against Juventus!). Thiago Almada, my wide playmaker, made 20 key passes in 7 games. Rony Lopes, my winger, made 7 assists.

Thank you for trying out the tactic and posting back.

Shadow striker instead of Pressing forward sounds very interesting indeed. I might have to give it a go myself. Do you still combine him with an advanced forward? Using two attack duty players together in attack is a bit unconventional, but from reading your description, it certainly sounds interesting.

In my new save (currently on 2nd season), I am using a false 9 instead of a PF(s), as I bought Joao Felix, who is much better at the false 9 role. He could be a good option for shadow striker as well. My vision for him is to play similar to Kaka at Milan. As a false 9, he is doing well, although there is always potential for improvement.

I am currently in my second season, with a full youth policy. With a squad average age of 22, I have won the league (undefeated), and am in the CL final. The tactic is certainly working well for me, even without a team full of world class players.

I am glad you are enjoying it. Another tactic I have used (identical team instructions to the 4-4-2) is a slightly more defensive 4-1-4-1. Actually, he 4-1-4-1 is the base from which I developed the 4-4-2. It is especially good against strong teams away from home that use a 4-2-3-1 (since it has a DM), but it is somewhat less potent going forward. I don't have my save open atm, but it looks like this:
-------------PF(s)
W(at)---CM(At)---CM(s)----IW(at
----------------DLP(D)----------
FB(s)----CD(D)----CD(D)----WB(S)
---------------SK(D)

The idea is that you defend in a 4-1-4-1, and attack in a 4-3-3. The left side features direct wing play, with the attacking CM occupying the space between the striker and winger. He should be a goal scorer. The right flank features overlapping play. The attacking approach is similar to the 4-4-2, but with an extra midfield player. It is a good tactic to close out games and/or away from home in CL, particularly against teams that use a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.

That being said, the 4-4-2 has been my favorite tactic I have created over many years of FM, not just for the results, but for the style of play and fundamentals that it follows.

Yes, I use the Shadow Striker with the Advanced Forward. What I liked about that role is that he begin the play more "deep", in the AMC strata. So he link well with the winger and CM-S in the buildup. Later, when we are in the last third, he show up in the box to score.

Another good thing is that because the SS is deep when we recover the ball, theres space to the AF run more in the box. So my CM-s (Glagiardini) made 3 assists by long passes. I dont know if its something normal to the tactic or result of that change.

However, I read your other posts and decided to try Havertz as False 9 (the same way you did it with Felix). I liked as well. In the game against Juventus (my screen on earlier post), we won 5-0 and Havertz made 2 assists to AF.
I will make more tests before deciding for the False 9 or SS.

I will try your 4-1-4-1 as well, especially against teams on the 4-2-3-1. I found that the 4-2-3-1 create more opportunities against me.

Yes, I use the Shadow Striker with the Advanced Forward. What I liked about that role is that he begin the play more "deep", in the AMC strata. So he link well with the winger and CM-S in the buildup. Later, when we are in the last third, he show up in the box to score.

Another good thing is that because the SS is deep when we recover the ball, theres space to the AF run more in the box. So my CM-s (Glagiardini) made 3 assists by long passes. I dont know if its something normal to the tactic or result of that change.

However, I read your other posts and decided to try Havertz as False 9 (the same way you did it with Felix). I liked as well. In the game against Juventus (my screen on earlier post), we won 5-0 and Havertz made 2 assists to AF.
I will make more tests before deciding for the False 9 or SS.

I will try your 4-1-4-1 as well, especially against teams on the 4-2-3-1. I found that the 4-2-3-1 create more opportunities against me.

FYI, I have decided to drop the false 9, and revert to a PFs/DLFs, depending on the player

also, the 4-1-4-1 is a good option against both the 4-2-3-1 and the 4-4-2, I’ve found

Thk for good tactics.I like to watch SIM play very much.

only 2 match for plays but I have some problem with RFB atk that have many cross but 0% complete

should I change team to row cross.

thk.

Below is a screenshot of a recent match against Chelsea, which is a great example to better illustrate the type of play the tactic creates, as well as the profile of players needed (note: my support striker here is a left footed PF(s), a regen)

attachment.php

For reference, here is my main striker: Pietro Pellegri, the absolute perfect type of striker for this tactic:

attachment.php

Let's take a quick look at the statistics:

1. AF (Pellegri):

- 21 headers contested, 66% won, 7 key headers
- 13 shots (including heading and feet, I believe), almost half on target, 3 goals
From the stats, you can see that the entire team is essentially feeding the AF, a lot of it through crosses. The rest of the team had 14 shots together (to Pellegri's 13)

2. Crossing:

Including corners, there were a total of 48 crosses provided - Bailey (Left Winger) alone provided 20, of which 40% were successful (this is an insanely high number from my experience). Again, this shows the importance of having a big, tall striker. I've found that even 190+ CA strikers who aren't tall don't do as well as Pellegri has been doing (averaging a goal a game in League and CL play).

3. Central Midfielders (sancet, Belecan, Bentancur):

Another key area to get right. Between the 2 of them (and a sub, as one got hurt), they completed 6 tackles (100% ratio), provided 3 key passes (1 chance created), recorded 4 interceptions, and contested 11 headers (winning 7). This highlights 2 points:
- Try to have CMs with decent marking, tackling, and positioning, along with workrate, to help you control the center of the park (no room here for pure playmakers)

4. Wide Playmaker (Havertz):
Solid if unspectacular game from him. Attempted 61 passes, competing 77%, with 3 key passes. It is worth noting that the LCB and LB also see the ball a lot, so having defenders here who are competent in retaining possession is definitely a plus.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful to find the right players. As always, feel free to reach out if you have questions/comments.

Thk for good tactics.I like to watch SIM play very much.

only 2 match for plays but I have some problem with RFB atk that have many cross but 0% complete

should I change team to row cross.

thk.

From my screenshot below, even my RBs had a total of 9 crosses with 0% completion. My take on it is the following:

1. Even for my attacking RBs, I prioritize defensive stats, so they aren't amazing at crossing (what is the quality if your RBs?)
2. A lot of it depends on the striker - is he tall, with good balance/off the ball/strength? A tall support striker will also help
3. Even if the RB is not providing assists, they will still occupy the other team's full back, and open up space for the wide playmaker and striker. This is also a key element