emocan10

Reaction score
4-4-2 Nike v2

Version 2

View attachment 204793
View attachment 204794View attachment 204795View attachment 204796

This version is the continuing evolution of the tactic below. It is a fluid 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 hybrid system providing a balanced play and control all around the pitch.

The differences in this version is that one SC is dropped behind to provide more space for wingers to use and strengthen the linkup between midfield and attack. He has a Trequartista role and you need to use a player who can create chances with his flair over here. Complete forward plays like a lone striker. For the wingers try to pick players who can use the opposite foot and cut inside.

Download v2

Version 1

View attachment 203101
View attachment 203102View attachment 203103View attachment 203104

So this is a free-flowing 4-4-2 variant, providing a very balanced attractive play, that a came up with after 4 seasons of experimenting. After it provided excellent results, which you can see above, and i got happy with what i see on the pitch, i decided to share it with you.

I am a big fan of Balanced-Standard combo. I believe provides a consistent and logical gameplay all around the pitch. Having high mentality provides direct action towards the goal, mostly selfish dribbling, but this combo provides a high tempo passing game and a lot of one-on-twos.

It is a short passing tactic. The trend in short passing tactics is 4-2-3-1 in modern football today. I started with that in my first season. Then a dropped one MC to DMC so that opposition cannot exploit the space between the defense and midfield. Then, I realized having 2 midfielders behind the ball weakens the midfield a lot and dropped one of the wingers back. But I never managed to get one-on-two's from my AMC and SC. Provided that they are lined-up vertically, AMC rarely moves close to goal and you heavily depend on cut-insides from the winger. Instead I decided to have a universal wide play of cut-inside, by using 2 forwards. The complete striker is No 10 in this tactic and the deep lying striker is No 9. You can retrain an AMC to play there.

After I decided on the formation, I decreased the width to minimum extent to provide solid defensive play, letting no space between lines. Then, the slow tempo/short passing combo caused problems since the opposition easily manages to cut the connection between midfield and forwards. Therefore, I increased the tempo which is key to our attacking play and provides fluidity.

The tactic can be described as a 4-6-0 as the forwards drop back a lot. You can use a mirror image of the formation by swapping everyone if you have problems about wrong footed players.

Use a fast defender as the cover. Use a strong defender who is good in air as the stopper. Use a more attack minded defender on RB.

DMC must be fast and good in winning balls. You can occasionally tell him to mark opposition AMC if he causes a lot of problems in the game. MC is the playmaker and central figure. You ned a guy with good passing and mental attributes. Use a both-footed or left footed guy as MR who can cut inside and provide a lot of assist. AML will get into a lot of clear cut positions, so you need a right-footed fast finisher type here.

Complete forward is the No 10. You can retrain an AMC to play here. He should be able to provide assist as well as creating his own chances. You need a player with high flair here who will run the attack. Deep lying forward is the classical supporting forward. He focuses on keeping the ball on opposition side and running for the opportunities others create. Prefer a player with good physical attributes in this position.

Give it a try. All your feedback are welcome.

Download v1

Last edited:
View attachment 204413View attachment 204414

Thanks for the comments guys. If you can provide a little bit detail about how it went with your team and point out strength-weaknesses, I would appreciate it since I am still working on improving it. These are last seasons stats with modified forward duo.

The results are amazing, i shall give this tactic a try with my Liverpool game. Will give feedback afterwards

Gonna give this a try with my Roma save later :)

will this work for as roma

Considering the quality of the midfielders like De Rossi that you have and the suitability of Totti to the forward duo, it should work.

I am continuing to alter the tactic. I am happy with everything except the forward duos performance. Therefore I decided to tweak it to Trequartista AMC and Complete Forward SC routine to make it 4-2-3-1'ish. Check the result below from the Domestic Cup Final. It was so pleasing to watch. Can publish this v2 soon after I get some feedback from people or test results myself.

View attachment 204677

Last edited:
I'll give your tactic a go with my Juve squad. I'd appreciate if you'd post individual player ratings, especially left inside forward, MC playmaker and the two strikers. Thx!

emocan

Can you post a picture of this new formation?

Also how have your league results gone with this new 4231 tactic?

Steve

I'll give your tactic a go with my Juve squad. I'd appreciate if you'd post individual player ratings, especially left inside forward, MC playmaker and the two strikers. Thx!

You mean the stats needed or season ratings of my players?

For MC, you need a guy with good Passing, Decisions and Creativity so that he can run the offensive passing. Having good Tackling and Strength is also a plus to create a solid midfield. I have been using Necip in that position since my career started. He is a very average player, but I like him personally in real life and like his way of being a flag-player for the club. Still performs enough to reach to Champions League Semis for the last three seasons.

View attachment 204784

For AML, you need a guy who can cut inside create possession as well as scoring. You need good Acceleration, Off The Ball, Finishing, Dribbling, Passing and right footness. If he has high Teamwork, he avoids taking ridiculous shots from weird angles and wasting possession. I bought Marco Reus, who isthe best player I could buy, considering the Reputation level of Turkish league, and he has been lethal.

View attachment 204786

For the striker partnership, I was initially using a No.10 and No.9 combo as 2 SC. In the new version I am using them as AMC and SC. You need a fast guy as the No.9 and a high-flair wizard for No.10. I retrained Oscar as SC for this role and he scored some amazing goals. This season I am using him back in AMC though.

View attachment 204785

I'm a bit confused - which tactic is the best in your opinion?

What success did you have with each one?

Version 2 is better for me since I have players to fit it and it dominates more. v1 is more attack-minded and you can use it if you have 2 good strikers to go with.

I'm a bit confused - which tactic is the best in your opinion?

What success did you have with each one?

Last edited: