TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

View attachment 111629

PLAYERS INSTRUCTIONS

SET PIECES

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

View attachment 111608

TRAINING

GENERAL

1) Train the tactic in all 3 slots (increased familiarity faster)

2) Set Match Preparation | Main Focus to 'Match Tactics'. Set General Training as 'Balanced' and 'Average'. Set Scheduling to the 3rd Bar from the left (more training) and give rest after but NOT before a match.

3) Play friendlies against weak opponents to up morale.

4) At the beginning of the season change
Match Preparation | Main Focus to 'Defensive Positioning'.
INDIVIDUAL

GK) Goalkeeper
DR/L) Complete Wing Back
DCR/L) Central Defender
CDM) Ball Winning Midfielder in the CDM position
BBM) Advanced Playmaker
MR/L) Winger
AMC) Advanced Playmaker
STR) Complete Forward

RESULTS:

I have tested this with West Ham and Arsenal. This was the only tactic I found which had a defensive enough base to allow a 'worse' team like West Ham to achieve European football. With Arsenal I won the league and had quality cup runs including Semi Final of the Champions League (out to Real Madrid on pens over both legs), Winner of the FA Cup and the Winner of the EFL Cup. Screenshots below.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 111584

Last edited:
Very thorough opening post so i hope it works nicely.

Trying a couple of others at the moment but will add this to the list.

I am very interested to see how other people get on with it (I have only had success). Could be I chose a team that suited it but it certainly works wonders for me.

Let me know how you get on! Hopefully I can start to tweak it to make it better if there is discussion about faults etc.

In your tactic SS needs playmayker skills and functions (at least a part) or he likes second wave for finishing more?

Last edited:
I like the look of this. I'll test the tactic with Sunderland and give back some feedback.

In your tactic SS needs playmayker skills and functions (at least a part) or he likes second wave for finishing more?

I plan to update the thread with individual training - I usually train this position as advanced playmaker, but this position is a killer if you have someone with high finishing who can score goals. Either way as long as they are very good at either they will add a massive contribution to your team.

On a similar note, having wingers with good finishing will massively increase your attacking threat :)

I'll play a few more games before I upload any images.

The formation is pretty good. Friendlies were a mixed bag, few mistakes and goals conceded on the counter but good play in the middle of the field. Played 3 premier league matches and a cup game so the results are the following:

Stoke 1 - 3 Sunderland

Great victory. Came flying out the blocks and the game was 1-2 by like... the 20th minute? All the goals were in the first half. Opened Stoke up 4-5 times and there only goal came from a decent bit of play involving Bojan, Shaqiri and Arnautovic.

Sunderland 1 - 0 Bournemouth

Lacklustre. Scored from a direct free kick which was deflected. First half was a drab affair, second half picked up a little and created about two decent chances. Bournemouth never looked like scoring.

Sunderland 2-1 Fleetwood

Poor game by all accounts. Same as the Bournemouth game. There only goal came from a defensive error, other than that never troubled. Offensively, created barely anything but scored two decent goals.

Tottenham 1-0 Sunderland

Didn't create any chances really, nor did they. However they hit on the counter and scored the only goal of the game.

Overall early feedback:

When they're passing it around offensively, it's very nice intricate build-up play. Players make the runs and make sure they're to be found with the passes, the wide players stretch the defence for the CM to push up and assist the shadow striker in creating some chances. Defensively, it's very solid. It's very rare the other team attack and if they do it's a tame attempt. Only issue I've found with conceding in friendlies and the 3 games is when there's a defensive error in the middle of the park, counter attacks are deadly against the defence and normally result in a goal. When we're attacking, the players (even the DM in some instances) push up a lot leaving a lot of space between the DM and CBs. Also the wide players are hit and miss ratings-wise compared to the rest of the team. Fullbacks also are pretty solid, offer a good option out wide to cross the ball in.

OP UPDATE:

Have updated the thread with spoilers to try and clean it up a bit.
Have added individual training for each position

Please let me know if I can improve this further in anyway.

I'll play a few more games before I upload any images.

The formation is pretty good. Friendlies were a mixed bag, few mistakes and goals conceded on the counter but good play in the middle of the field. Played 3 premier league matches and a cup game so the results are the following:

Stoke 1 - 3 Sunderland

Great victory. Came flying out the blocks and the game was 1-2 by like... the 20th minute? All the goals were in the first half. Opened Stoke up 4-5 times and there only goal came from a decent bit of play involving Bojan, Shaqiri and Arnautovic.

Sunderland 1 - 0 Bournemouth

Lacklustre. Scored from a direct free kick which was deflected. First half was a drab affair, second half picked up a little and created about two decent chances. Bournemouth never looked like scoring.

Sunderland 2-1 Fleetwood

Poor game by all accounts. Same as the Bournemouth game. There only goal came from a defensive error, other than that never troubled. Offensively, created barely anything but scored two decent goals.

Tottenham 1-0 Sunderland

Didn't create any chances really, nor did they. However they hit on the counter and scored the only goal of the game.

Overall early feedback:

When they're passing it around offensively, it's very nice intricate build-up play. Players make the runs and make sure they're to be found with the passes, the wide players stretch the defence for the CM to push up and assist the shadow striker in creating some chances. Defensively, it's very solid. It's very rare the other team attack and if they do it's a tame attempt. Only issue I've found with conceding in friendlies and the 3 games is when there's a defensive error in the middle of the park, counter attacks are deadly against the defence and normally result in a goal. When we're attacking, the players (even the DM in some instances) push up a lot leaving a lot of space between the DM and CBs. Also the wide players are hit and miss ratings-wise compared to the rest of the team. Fullbacks also are pretty solid, offer a good option out wide to cross the ball in.
Thank you for the feedback. I agree with counter attacks, they can be deadly. I think this is why the likes of Leicester/Tottenham are my least favourite games to play. I tried to balance the DM, he sits deep in defense yet contributes in attack (so many other defensive tactics I use don't score enough going forward and I think this helps).

Suggestion: I haven't tried this myself, but perhaps putting one or both of the fullbacks on support instead of attack may prevent the wings opening up so much for counter play. Separately, if you would prefer to leave the fullbacks as they are, changing the BWM to a Defend duty might keep him back further if you don't feel he adds enough to attack to warrant the loss of defensive support.

Question: I would be interested to know if there was a particular player/position in the central area that gave away the ball before counters?

With wingers, I find there is a very particular type that suits this formation. I like goal scoring wingers. The likes of maitland-niles would get consistently BAD ratings because he got lots of shooting chances and kept missing (~ 8 finishing).

Question: I wonder if this is the main reason for bad ratings - missed chances? Is there anyway you can see these stats? Shots of the wingers when they get a good rating and shots when they get a bad rating?

Last edited:
I had Pieenar and Januzaj playing in these positions, generally both offensive minded and good shots on them. I think fiddle about with the DM's role to try get a balance where he'll drop a bit deeper, especially if the fullbacks are caught out of position. Get the two wide players to drift in more to support the shadow striker. A lot of play is congested to the middle of the park anyway. I suggest taking off run out wide with the ball for the MR/ML, get them to play a bit narrower. Maybe take off close down much more off the DM, but that'll come with a role change. When he's pushing up, the defence isn't following. Also, the SS & ST both have drift into the channels, sometimes I find they get out wide but then nobody else in the box to cross too. Specifically the striker, because the SS comes short to pass rather than get in the box to score.

Free kicks are very good btw. Defender normally flicks it on for the other one to score.

I edited my previous response with some suggestions/questions which actually seem to be similar to those you mentioned.

I will fiddle with this when I get in tonight and let you know what I find! In the meantime, if you happen to try any of this and discover any wonder-cures be sure to let me know :D

Glad you like the freekicks!

I've only played 2 games with your new tactic and the performances have gone backward. I drew at home to Leicester 0-0 and drew away to Hull 0-0. Both games I barely created anything, like literally 0 key chances. Leicester I didn't concede any key chances either. Whereas against Hull, they could of scored 2 or 3 and hit the post once. I don't think it's an improvement with Sunderland anyway. I'll make a few tweaks of my own and get back to you.

Hey, just got back from holiday.

Was wondering if you played any more games or with any other teams with this tactic? Would love to know how you got on. :)