4-4-2 Wide Diamond Lower League Help

eiriksg

Reaction score
My best players in my current club(Chester) are 2 ST, 1 AMC, 1 RM/RW, and 1 RM/LW, so naturally my instincts are to play a 4-4-2 Wide diamond, but I haven't used that formation in at least 10 FM's, any one have any tips or experience?

Player info:
One ST is a Target Man
Both wingers are Wingers, not inside forwards
My AMC has high acceleration, agility, determination, flair and technique

Last edited:
4-2-3-1? Rotate the strikers.

The Wide Diamond can be very effective, but you do concede the midfield to the opposition, so your DM has a lot of work to do on his own. LLM is often a battle of the midfields.

My best players in my current club(Chester) are 2 ST, 1 AMC, 1 RM/RW, and 1 RM/LW, so naturally my instincts are to play a 4-4-2 Wide diamond, but I haven't used that formation in at least 10 FM's, any one have any tips or experience?

Player info:
One ST is a Target Man
Both wingers are Wingers, not inside forwards
My AMC has high acceleration, agility, determination, flair and technique

I also like the 4-4-2 wide diamond (It's how I played in my youth and it's how Man U used to play with Keane/Giggs/Beckham/Scholes in the midfield).

Unless you have an absolute stud at DMC, I think you're going to struggle. You could definitely try doing a 3-2-2-1-2 with two DMCs screening for your three backs. That would be my first thought given what you said about your team. Alternatively, a 41311 could work and you just always have a fresh forward to play.

I also like the 4-4-2 wide diamond (It's how I played in my youth and it's how Man U used to play with Keane/Giggs/Beckham/Scholes in the midfield).

Unless you have an absolute stud at DMC, I think you're going to struggle. You could definitely try doing a 3-2-2-1-2 with two DMCs screening for your three backs. That would be my first thought given what you said about your team. Alternatively, a 41311 could work and you just always have a fresh forward to play.
I remember using this tactic long time ago. The trick is how to make the AMC to do a late run into the box. Also, using a fast DC will make the defence stronger.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk