Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering is there any 4-4-2 tactic on FMbase that plays like Alex Ferguson's 442? If not can anyone give me some help on how to create one that plays like his 442.

I'd go as far as to say that there's no such thing really, Fergie was about having his best players on the pitch producing good performances whilst retaining balance- the shape was secondary to that throughout his ManU career, kind of the anti-Benitez thesis. You could perhaps extract some general guidelines from his years in charge though, things that remained relatively constant:

- An established back four with a very strong partnership in the middle (think of Bruce/Pallister, Stam/Johnsen, Vidic/Ferdinand). I gather that's where it starts for Fergie. This quality at the back enabled his favored form of defending, dropping into a conservative shape and being comfortable with defending high balls played in to the box.

- Attacking with width and high tempo. Fergie's had squads with very different profiles but he never seemed to sacrifice width nor the intensity his teams were famed for.

- At least two natural forwards in the line-up. The Yorke/Cole partnership is perhaps the most famous one- brilliantly aided by Ole's selfless cameo-roles- but Fergie liked to field three when he had the quality available to him. Eg. he preferred to start Rooney/Tevez/Ronaldo all together when possible. But that's not to say he was willing to go ''gung-ho'', the balance was retained through Tevez's and Rooney's work-rate or playing forwards in reserved roles (eg. Welbeck / Park), or adding additional midfielder etc.

- Love for the killer ball. Fergie greatly appreciated creativity and always had fantastic passers of the ball in the team to shift the angle of an attack and to provide quality in the final ball. Even his forwards had a tendency to be creative, eg. Solskjaer, Rooney, Sheringham, Ronaldo, Berbatov... or how good was Ferdinand in starting an attack? Passing was Fergie's main weapon for opening up defenses.

I'd say those were the fundamentals, fearsome at the back coupled with fantastic goalscoring potential, great speed and intensity. Not perhaps the post you were looking for, but hopefully it'll inspire you to create your own Fergie team with the squad you have at your disposal. :)