4-5-1 Joga Cabeza - plenty of goals and a lock-tight defense

Sokodjou

Reaction score
4-5-1 Joga Cabeza

Like almost everyone else I set out to make the next Barcelona tactic honoring the principles of Pep and Johan. I think I did a fairly respectable job.

A couple disclaimers:
1. From my experience this tactic will NOT turn a bad team into a league winner overnight. It will make a bad team good, a good team excellent, and an excellent team world beaters. It is not a miracle worker like some other tactics I've seen on the forums.

2. If this is not at least competent in Match Preparation you will see some instances of pretty bad play - sometimes downright comical. I have never noticed it as glaringly with other tactics as I have with this one.

Having said that, I am very interested to see what everyone else thinks of my tactic...

View attachment 225423

View attachment 225424

I have tweaked this tactic over my seasons as manager of Hereford, Cardiff, Tenerife, and now Wolfsburg. I have always finished in the top third of whatever league I was in (including a Euro Cup qualifying Tenerife team that had meager salary and transfer budgets AND a League 1 Cardiff team that qualified for the Euro Cup by losing to Arsenal in the FA Cup finals - although Arsenal was the only PRM team I faced in the FA Cup). Also, I have always been in the top five for Goals Conceded.

Now in my first full season at Wolfsburg I have yet to concede a goal in 9 league games (update - I conceded my first goal in the 11th game against Hertha and recorded my first loss in the 13th game against Bayern).

View attachment 225425
View attachment 225426

The primary focus of this tactic is possession. I won't bore you with the details of what tasks I've assigned each player - you'll be able to see that when you use the tactic. But I designed this in the hope that each player would play with the purpose of possessing the ball and controlling the game.

As a result I rarely have less than 53% of possession and usually have more shots and shots on target. Obviously, this is a good thing if you are in the business of winning games :p

View attachment 225427

So let me know what you think and what experiences you have with this. Happy Footballing!

Last edited:
Is this for FM11 or has it been tested in FM12 as well. Tell me if you want me to move the thread.

Has NOT been tested in FM12. Posted in 2012 by accident. Please move. Thanks!