View attachment 97774

Not really sure if this is how they play, but this is how I'd setup a 442

You could also use treqs as strikers at the expense of some defensive solidity, but perhaps better attack, as atletico is doing, but it kinda goes against the very fluid philosophy, where all of team plays as one. treqs dont defend, so not really team players, obsolete role in my opinion...

The whole point of more fluid fluidities is to squish play and play tighter...so the obvious exit for the ball from the crowded middle is the wings...or treqs in atleticos case...

you could also employ two shouts, play narrower plus play more direct, but not really needed

a 4231 is similar to this, fluid counter, also squished play somewhat, except the ball is sent to wingers, not treqs...

i could use those $$$ btw....

Last edited:
View attachment 97769

This is prolly the best 4231 implementation. I purposefully put the right winger on apa role and duty. The purpose is dual fold. First, when the middle gets crowded, he will be the outlet since he is the playmaker, and second, he cuts inside while the other winger stretches wide. Combined with a striker dropping deep, and amc pushing up, you can break any defence.

Please post here a screenshot of your team when they are not in possession so we can verify if they are narrow without the ball ...

View attachment 1111871

Not really sure if this is how they play, but this is how I'd setup a 442

You could also use treqs as strikers at the expense of some defensive solidity, but perhaps better attack, as atletico is doing, but it kinda goes against the very fluid philosophy, where all of team plays as one. treqs dont defend, so not really team players, obsolete role in my opinion...

The whole point of more fluid fluidities is to squish play and play tighter...so the obvious exit for the ball from the crowded middle is the wings...or treqs in atleticos case...

you could also employ two shouts, play narrower plus play more direct, but not really needed

a 4231 is similar to this, fluid counter, also squished play somewhat, except the ball is sent to wingers, not treqs...

i could use those $$$ btw....

View attachment 97758

View attachment 1111876

This is prolly the best 4231 implementation. I purposefully put the right winger on apa role and duty. The purpose is dual fold. First, when the middle gets crowded, he will be the outlet since he is the playmaker, and second, he cuts inside while the other winger stretches wide. Combined with a striker dropping deep, and amc pushing up, you can break any defence.

View attachment 97757

you should simply decrease mentality if you want more narrow play

Last edited:
its not impossible...you have to understand that your players adjust to opposition...if opposition is playing a wide, attacking game, and they will be if you are defending, they will adjust...also, some opposition may decide to stay bunkered, if you are defending...

Last edited:
Try using inverted wing backs instead of ML and MR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how about sit narrower player instruction to your wide mids?

I tried EVERYTHING. Obviously all the screenshots I posted here are with "Sit narrower" as team instruction and also for every wide player.

The problem here is that the wide players man mark the wide opponents(bug) even though I used as OI : "NEVER" man mark wide players....

I think you are confusing what narrow midfield really means with idea in your head. They are all sitting narrow. Of course they are not together, they are wide players, not central. Narrow means away from the sidelines. Simply play an attacking tactic, and you will notice that your WHOLE team is much wider and closer to sidelines. Even your screenies show it. Simply check heat maps, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing what narrow midfield really means with idea in your head. They are all sitting narrow. Of course they are not together, they are wide players, not central. Narrow means away from the sidelines. Simply play an attacking tactic, and you will notice that your WHOLE team is much wider and closer to sidelines. Even your screenies show it. Simply check heat maps, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Of course they are not together ?? What do you mean "Of course" ?

I simply want my left midfielder to be closer to my left central midfielder... What's the problem ? I'm not confusing anything...

Sit Narrower has nothing to do with defensive width.

You won't be able to get the wide midfielders to defend narrow though. That's something that's coded like that in the ME. It helps cover those annoying attacking fullbacks.

Sit Narrower has nothing to do with defensive width.

You won't be able to get the wide midfielders to defend narrow though. That's something that's coded like that in the ME. It helps cover those annoying attacking fullbacks.

So it is impossible ..