4 Minds Are Better Than One - A Shared Save

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
managers_collage-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOfbQuL7vt0ioTIEx8Tqi0NrxIh4X-3UtybZnoeSids8.jpg

HELLO

I have been thinking about doing a shared save for a wee while now and am finally going to get this going. The idea is pretty simple - have 4 managers take control of a small club and hopefully they can lead them to glory.

The season would be split as follows -

Player 1 - July 1st - Sept 30th
Player 2 - Oct 1st - Dec 31st
Player 3 - Jan 1st - Mar 31st
Player 4 - Apr 1st - Jun 30th

Then we all move up a slot so player 4 actually has a 6 month slot in charge - ending one season and beginning the next.

I will be using my own database which is right up to date from Tony Warner becoming a goalie coach at Accrington to Lucas Digne signing for Everton. I think we will manage in England but at which starting level and which club the 4 managers will have to discuss along with which formations we will use.

--

MANAGERS RECORD
NAMEPWDLFAGD
Klippybo3420956944+25
Hampus Silverholt1913153922+17
bcfc1510
232817+11
NotSoSpecialOne
169523519+16

Last edited:
Got the 4th person - save will start shortly

Good luck with this save, will be great seeing how far it goes!

HMMM INTERESTING THIS SOUNDS. FOLLOWING I WILL BE

Last edited:
Will have the save up and running tomorrow. Just need to decide who to go!!!!!

Think Sunderland in league 1 will be a good save :p

Not a chance!!!!!!!!

Where I live up in Scotland you don’t see any mackems but one came out of the house across the road the other day - was tempted to run inside and get changed into my Newcastle top lol

YUAndpMCbXk_9hvX4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ-740x431.jpg

RYAN MASON IS APPOINTED AS MANAGER OF CREWE ALEXANDRA

Crewe Alexandra today appointed former Spurs and Hull City midfielder Ryan Mason as their new manager. At only 27 years of age he is the youngest manager in the football league after retiring after suffering a fractured skull while playing for Hull City.

Crewe are expected to finish 18th in League 2 and have little money to spend plus their notorious youth academy doesn't have any stars in it just now so there is lots of work to be done.

Director of Football and Crewe legend Dario Gradi said "This is a new beginning for Crewe Alexandra football club as we have had a lot of negative press due to the Barry Bennell case being played out in the media so we have taken a bold step in appointing such a young manager in Ryan. He has unfinished business in the football world after his playing career was taken away from him so early and his hunger to succeed is 2nd to none. He also wants to get Crewe back to producing leading international players like we have done in the past."

--

th

CREWE ALEXANDRA

Founded
Stadium - Gresty Road
Capacity - 10,153
Honours - 1 Checkatrade Trophy and 2 JD Welsh Cups

4339592.jpg

--

NOTABLE FORMER PLAYERS

Stan Bowles
David Platt
Neil Lennon
Robbie Savage
Danny Murphy
Dean Ashton
Seth Johnson
David Vaughan
Bruce Grobbelaar

Last edited:
Medium

PRE-SEASON

Lots of work had to be done here and lots of work was done as I brought in 10 players - all on free transfers - to strengthen our side. When arriving at the club we had 2 players injured for 6 months at least and we had very few wide players either in defence or in attack.

In signing these players our transfer budget is all but gone (sorry guys) although the loan market is still open as I haven't brought in anyone on loan yet and a major plus point is that I managed to get Arsenal as a senior affiliate so we can poach some of their players in the years to come. I also managed to upgrade the data facilities.

I also strengthened the backroom staff by bringing in a top notch scout in Derek Langley and our new head physio Luke Anthony.

So here is our transfers...……….

--

PLAYERS OUT

I took a risk by selling our best keeper in Ben Garratt to Rotherham for £88,000. We have Jussi Jaaskelainen's son in our ranks and in comparison I felt that he was better despite only being 18 so I took the cash for Garratt. I also loaned out Josh Lundstram to Tamworth.

--

PLAYERS IN

View attachment 42232

Despite our strongest area in the team being in CM I brought in some more CMs including Brendan Rodgers son Anton plus decent players in Jack Thomas and Nathan Doyle. I also had no left backs in the squad so brought in a couple of them.

I just failed to sign former Real Madrid player Julio Baptista as he elected to join Portsmouth instead. He would have been a player where we would have been looking at him to be our chief creator but alas it was not to be.

--

AIMS

Predicted to finish 18th, unsure of which formation to play (at the moment I have settled on a 4-1-3-2DM narrow formation) and having half my squad just brought in - I would be happy with a mid table finish.

Large

AUGUST

v
Newport County 1 (Matt 2)
Crewe Alexandra 1 (Miller 58)

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt (Ng), Raynes, Plummer, Hanley, Green, Doyle, Rodgers, Wintle (Thomas), Porter (Reilly), Miller*

So the 1st game of the season is done and we get a hard earned point. We fell behind early doors and were dreadful in the 1st half but we clawed our way back into things and levelled thanks to a fantastic strike from Miller. They had a goal disallowed near the end but a draw is a fair result.

--

Carabao Cup 1st Round
v
Nottingham Forest 2 (Soudani 29, Carvalho 45)
Crewe Alexandra 0

Lineup
- Jaaskelainen, Hunt (Ng), Raynes, Plummer, Hanley, Green,
Doyle, Rodgers (Walker), Wintle, Porter, Miller (Reilly)

Championship v League 2, 27 shots against 4, we had Doyle sent-off in the 1st half. I will take a 2 goal defeat!!!!

--

v
Crewe Alexandra 1 (Porter 81pen)
Port Vale 0

Lineup
- Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Raynes, Sass-Davies, Plummer, Green, Thomas (Ainley), Walker*, Wintle (Lowery), Porter, Bowery (Rowan)

I am delighted with this win against one of our rivals. We were without 4 or 5 players and in truth we were poor but we defended well and got the winner when Chris Porter converted a late penalty.

--

v
Stevenage 1 (Georgiou 17)
Crewe Alexandra 1 (Bowery 64)

Lineup
- Jaaskelainen, Hunt (Ng), Raynes, Plummer, Hanley, Green, McGugan, Walker, Rodgers (Doyle), Porter, Miller (Bowery)

Again not a great performance but a good result as we were huge underdogs going into this game and we come away with a point. Bowery scored with his 1st touch after coming on while Lewis McGugan made his debut.

--

v

Crewe Alexandra 3 (Plummer 28, Porter 66, Bowery 79)
Forest Green Rovers 3 (Doidge 22, 30, Rawson 34)

Lineup
- Jaaskelainen, Hunt (Ng), Raynes, Plummer, Hanley, Doyle, McGugan, Walker (Thomas), Rodgers, Porter, Miller (Bowery)

A fantastic comeback but how we were 3-1 down is beyond me as I felt we were the better side. Once again Bowery came off the bench to rescue us.

--

SUMMARY

So the first competitive month of this save is over and I really don't know how to take this. While I am delighted that we are unbeaten in the league and have shown guts and determination to claw back teams when we have been behind we are only sitting in a mid-table position. Even if one of those draws were a victory we would be much higher up in the table.

I further strengthened the squad during the month with 3 new additions.
Lewis McGugan came in on a free, Ben Sheaf joined from Arsenal on loan and Callum Elder also came on loan from Leicester.
View attachment 42160View attachment 42159View attachment 42157

Despite having several cms, McGugan was better than most and is decent at set pieces so I am pleased to get him while Sheaf and Elder, both coming in totally free are star players at this level and shouldn't really be here so they will be key for this season.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RAHEEM HANLEY
View attachment 42166

--

LEAGUE 2 TABLE
View attachment 42165

crewe_alexandra_fans.jpg

SEPTEMBER

Checkatrade Trophy Group D
v
Oldham Athletic 4 (Fane 17, 57, Hiwula 20, 88)
Crewe Alexandra 0

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Sheaf, Plummer, Elder (Hanley), Doyle, McGugan, Walker (Lowery), Rodgers, Porter (Miller), Bowery

Absolutely pathetic. Just as well the Checkatrade Trophy isn't on the priority list. What is more worrying is this was nearly my full strength side!!!

--

v
Crewe Alexandra 3 (Porter 14, Plummer 74, Bowery 84)
Mansfield Town 2 (Davies 11, Walker 54)

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Sheaf, Plummer, Elder (Hanley), Doyle, McGugan (Lowery), Walker (Wintle), Thomas, Porter, Bowery

How we won this game I have no idea as Mansfield battered us to be fair but once again we battled back to get a result. The performances aren't there yet but we are grinding out results!!!

--

v
Swindon Town 4 (Robertson 15, Richards 24, 90, Conroy 39)
Crewe Alexandra 2 (Walker 49, Miller 75)

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Raynes, Plummer (Sass-Davies), Elder, Green, McGugan, Walker,
Rodgers, Porter, Bowery (Miller)

I still don't know what to make of this team I am managing. We were horrendous in the 1st half and were lucky to only be 3 down. Then in the 2nd half we pulled a quick goal back and then despite having Rodgers sent-off we absolutely battered them and got to within one goal but then they scored in stoppage time.

--

v
Crewe Alexandra 2 (Porter 45pen, 88)
Lincoln City 1 (Akinde 2)

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Sheaf, Plummer, Elder, Green, McGugan (Wintle), Walker, Thomas (Doyle), Porter*, Bowery (Miller)

Lincoln went into this game 2nd in the table so this is a great result but yet again it wasn't plain sailing as we were very poor in the 1st half and were very fortunate to go in level. I gave the players a rollocking at half-time and things improved and we got a late winner.

--

v
Oldham Athletic 4 (Hiwula 5, 7, 41pen, Forde 21)
Crewe Alexandra 2 (Thomas 58, Miller 88)

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Sheaf, Plummer (Raynes), Elder, Green, McGugan, Walker, Rodgers (Thomas), Porter (Miller), Bowery

This was our game in hand and once again Oldham score 4 past us. Tbh it was another game where we were pathetic in the first half and much better in the 2nd. Poor decision making cost us - Plummer gave away a goal for the 2nd game running, we gave away a needless penalty and we had a situation with 2 players running clean through on the goalie but instead of passing Bowery screwed his shot wide.

--

v
Tranmere Rovers 0
Crewe Alexandra 0

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Nolan, Sheaf, Plummer (Raynes), Elder, Green, McGugan, Walker, Rodgers (Thomas), Porter, Bowery (Miller)

Tranmere went into this game 2nd bottom so this is a missed opportunity to get an away win. Miller missed a great chance for us in stoppage time.

--

v
Crewe Alexandra 2 (Walker 54, Miller 86)
Exeter City 1 (Ugbo 71)

Lineup - Jaaskelainen, Hunt (Ng), Sheaf, Raynes, Elder, Green, McGugan, Walker, Rodgers, Porter (Miller), Bowery

The final game of my stint in the 1st season ends in a win. Porter smashed a penalty off the bar moments after we took the lead which almost proved to be costly but thankfully Miller popped up late on to give us the points.

--

SUMMARY

A mixed month but I suppose it was successful as we have gained a position in the league table as we are 10th. I have to be happy with that as we haven't had a performance over 90min yet as we don't seem to turn up until after half time and that really is a big concern. Another concern is the fact we have conceded the same amount as we have scored (17) and that is not going to be good enough.

Its over to Hampus now and he has a nice easy first game...……….

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BRAD WALKER
View attachment 42149

--

LEAGUE 2 TABLE
View attachment 42148

Last edited:
5-3-2

My first game in charge was against top of the table MK Dons, a team littered with Championship and League One talent. No biggie then.

With only having one day to prepare for the game, I thought it was probably wise to stick with the formation that had put Crewe 10th​ in the table. However it was a goodbye to defensive full backs and two target men.

The game didn’t start well.

View attachment 42079

Or end well.

View attachment 42078

Baring in mind the last game I played on FM was a 6-0 Champions League final loss with Berwick, I was actually done with the game at this point.

We didn’t even play that badly, MK Dons just scored with every chance they had and Crewe defenders don’t know how to defend set pieces.

View attachment 42077

Look at those match stats, I’m not that bad guys, honest!

-

Next up was Newcastle u23's in the Mickey Mouse Cup where we switched to 5 at the back. It was an uneventful game.

View attachment 42076

We were 2-0, 3-2, and 4-3 down in the game but managed to win 5-4 thanks to a hattrick from my new favourite player Chris Porter.

In my first 2 games Crewe conceded 10 goals from 13 shots on target...

...So of course we won our next game 2-0!

View attachment 42075

Not a bad result considering Northampton were 5th​ in the table and first choice keeper Jaaskelainen was on international duty. The 5-3-2 seemed to be working well for me.

View attachment 42074

Whereas the Northampton result was a bit fortunate, our next result against Yeovil was well deserved.

View attachment 42073

The only bad thing was that striker Chris Porter picked up a nasty injury putting him out of the next 6 games at least.

View attachment 42072

Our next game confirmed that the 5-3-2 is working/I’m a managerial genius.

View attachment 42071

So after a shaky start… Crewe are in 6th​! It’s easy this managerial malarkey.

View attachment 42070

We also got League One side Peterborough at home in the draw for the FA Cup first round. The draw could’ve been a lot nicer but it’s definitely doable!

View attachment 42069

After 4 wins and 1 loss in my first 5 games a special mention has to go to two players.

First is Perry Ng.

View attachment 42068

Originally picked because his surname is Ng, Perry has actually proved himself to be a useful centre back, playing above a 7.0 in the last 3 games.

And secondly is Dave Richards.

View attachment 42067

After Jaaskelainen was less than impressive against MK Dons and was also on international duty for the next game, Richards stepped in and got two clean sheets in a row. He is now my preferred choice in goal.​

I beat Lincoln. Seems that is a bigger achievement than I reckoned!!!

4 days after beating Grimsby 4-1 we again won by a 3 goal margin.

View attachment 41939

Next up was a tough test against Cheltenham, a team that also played 5 at the back.

View attachment 41937

A last minute winner made sure we got our 5th​ win in a row in the league!

We were then met with the news that we came 2nd​ in Manager of the Month for October. If only we didn’t lose 6-1 to MK Dons…

View attachment 41936

Next up was Peterborough in the FA Cup… a game I really wanted to win.

View attachment 41935

So after 6 wins on the bounce it was typical of us to lose after being 2-0 up. No FA Cup run for us this year, which really does not help us especially with the financial situation we’re in.

View attachment 41934

What was more typical was the fact we comfortably won our next game in the Checkatrade Trophy, which I didn’t care about!

View attachment 41932

That meant we qualified for the next round of the competition by finishing second in our group.

View attachment 41931

After our rotated side smashed Port Vale we followed up with 2 wins and 2 clean sheets against Notts County and Bury in the league.

View attachment 41930 View attachment 41929

We cannot stop winning! That’s 7 in a row in the league and at this point we were up in third!

However the unbeaten run had to come to an end at some point… although the way we lost to Carlisle was disappointing.

View attachment 41928

That was followed up with a 0-0 draw to Cambridge, which in all honesty was not a bad result at all as they were one point ahead of us.

View attachment 41927

So, at the end of November we were in 5th​ place.

View attachment 41925

Next up is a game against Man City u23’s in the next round of the Checkatrade Trophy. A side that has Joe Hart in goal!

View attachment 41924

After that it’s only 5 more league games to go for me!​

The good form meant we were into contract talks before December! I managed to get us a £100 pay rise as well.

View attachment 41920

In our next game we were knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy on penalties by Man City u23’s. Joe Hart saved two and Phil Foden scored the winning penalty.

View attachment 41919

I also brought in centre back Elliot Ward on a 6 month contract after the wage budget was freed up by sending some youngsters on loan. He provides extra quality in defence as Plummer seems to constantly be injured and I’m still playing Ng at centre back, not that he’s done much wrong!

View attachment 41918

In our next game we achieved a brilliant 1-0 win away against promotion hopefuls Crawley.

View attachment 41917

That put us level on points with first place with 3 home games next up.

View attachment 41916

So, naturally, in our following game we lost to 20th​ placed Colchester.

View attachment 41915

It turns out League Two isn’t as easy as I thought.

Thankfully we got back to winning ways on boxing day.

View attachment 41914

And scraped a 1-0 in the next game.

View attachment 41913

That leaves us in second place after my stint in charge. The 5-3-2 has worked wonders for me however we were lucky to get wins in our last 2 games so it might not be such a bad time for someone to come in with different tactical ideas.

A special mention again has to go to Dave Richards.

View attachment 41912

He has 10 clean sheets in 14 games – that’s the second highest in the division and he’s played a lot less games.

Brad Walker has also continued to be awesome.

View attachment 41911

8 goals, 6 assists and a 7.45 average in the league, you couldn’t ask for more.

So I end with 13 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses. I thought I was going to do a lot worse after the MK Dons result!​

Great start to the season on this lads. Must say that second stint has really got it going though, well done. Great signing in Elliot too by the looks of him.

January

After the success of my Birmingham career I have decided to try and bring in my tactic from that story into this one. It will be interesting to see if the team can adapt to it as it will be different to what they have played so far.

Forest Green Rovers 2 (Archibald 61, Traore 90)
Crewe 3 (Miller 62, Sheaf 79, Wintle 90)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt, McGugan*, Walker (Wintle), Elder, Ainley, Bowery (Miller(, Pickering (Porter)

What an end to the game. I thought Sheaf had won it but then they equalised in the 94th​ minute before we won it again through Wintle in the 96th​ minute. It was a game all about set pieces as every goal came from a corner or a free kick.

Port Vale 0
Crewe 1 (Bowery 3)

Jaaskelainen, Ward*, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt (Ng), McGugan (Rodgers), Jones, Elder, Ainley, Bowery, Pickering

A solid win here against mid table Port Vale where an early goal decided the game. A lot of the tactics played by other managers have not involved wingers so my big job at the moment is to get them fit and then to see if they are good enough.

Crewe 1 (Porter 88)
Oldham 0

Jaaskalainen, Ward, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt, Rodgers (McGugan), Wintle, Elder, Ainley (Miller), Bowery (Porter), Massey

It was a late smash and grab here to get the points. Oldham were definitely the better team here but having not managed in League 2 for a while I am quickly learning that it is less about quality and more about trying to make fewer mistakes than the opposition.

Mansfield 2 (Davies 19, 60)
Crewe 5 (Massey 15, Bowery 17, McGugan 29, Benning 52og, Sheaf 73)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt*, McGugan, Green, Elder, Preston, Bowery, Massey

What a great result here against a struggling team. I hope to keep this kind of goal scoring going. A big mention has to go to MOTM Hunt who has done amazingly well at wing back for a 34 yr old.

Crewe 0
Swindon 1 (Anderson 59)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt, McGugan, Walker, Elder, Preston, Bowery, Massey

The winning run to my stint ends with the last game of January as we fall to a 1-0 loss against Swindon. It was a pretty poor game really where not much happened.

Summary

4 wins out of 5 is a good start and hopefully we can get past the loss to Swindon and get back onto that run.
Transfers

I left a lot of the transfers to the DoF Dario Gradi as I didn’t really know who to target in the window. He has made a few loan signings and they have slotted in well. We definitely needed some wide men to fit into my tactic and thankfully Gradi took care of that with 3 of the 5 signings able to play out wide. He also bought in a keeper and a CM but I am unsure about how much game time those two will get.

View attachment 41684View attachment 41683View attachment 41682View attachment 41681View attachment 41680

Player of the month
Lewis McGugan

View attachment 41679

League Table

View attachment 41678

February

Lincoln 0
Crewe 1 (Miller 86)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf*, Plummer, Hunt, McGugan, Walker (Flanagan), Elder (Pickering), Preston, Bowery (Miller), Massey

It was another smash and grab here to get the points. It is always a sweeter victory when the subs you make are involved in the winning goal as it was here as Flanagan assisted Miller for the goal.

Crewe 4 (Bowery 18, 50, Ward 34, Plummer 90)
Tranmere 3 (Heffernan 45, Mullin 79, 86)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf (Sass-Davies), Plummer, Hunt (Ng), McGugan, Walker (Wintle), Elder, Preston, Bowery, Massey

How I loathe and love set pieces. It looked as though we were drifting to a 3-1 win until Mullin scored from 2 set pieces in the last 11 minutes and then Plummer came up for a corner in the very last minute to win us the game and take the points.

Exeter 1 (Boateng 33)
Crewe 1 (Massey 59)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf (Sass-Davies), Plummer, Hunt, McGugan, Walker (Wintle), Elder, Preston (Miller), Bowery, Massey

A pretty even game where a draw was the fair result. We didn’t do enough up top to deserve another goal.

MK Dons 2 (Baudry 22, Sow 69)
Crewe 1 (Miller 83)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt, McGugan (Wintle), Walker, Elder, Preston, Bowery (Miller), Massey

So frustrated with this result. MK Dons are our closest rivals and this loss means they close the gap to us. If we had won this then the title would almost be ours already.

Crewe 2 (Preston 38, Ward 72)

Northampton 2 (O’Toole 56pen, Veen 61)

Jaaskelainen, Ward, Sheaf, Plummer, Hunt, McGugan*, Walker (Wintle), Elder, Preston (Miller), Bowery, Massey

This makes it 3 games in a row without a win which is worrying. They got 2 quick goals from similar situations as they hit long balls over the top and had the speed to get onto them.

Summary

8 points from 15 is not the best return and a loss to MK Dons means they close the gap on us. The next month is my last one with Crewe this season and I hope to have us in a position where promotion is all but confirmed and we can just focus on trying to win the title.

Player of the month
Lewis McGugan

View attachment 41646

League Table

View attachment 41645