40 y/0 David Weir back in Scotland squad!

• Thread starter Blynd1
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 2K
B

Blynd1

David Weir is set to make a dramatic return to the Scotland team.

The 40-year-old Rangers skipper has been named in Craig Levein's squad for the Euro 2012 qualifying double-header against Lithuania and Liechtenstein next month.
It was thought that Weir's international career was over when Levein left him out of his first two squads after taking over from former national team boss George Burley last December.

More info here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tland-squad-face-Lithuania-Liechtenstein.html

They dont have youth, thats the problem... they need Weir to come back... New age record in Euro Cup? Anyway Weir is better then half of the team, too bad he's slow... but i am sure he will do a better job then 90% of the others ahah

I don't know what to think of this..

It's a good decision by Levein, given how poor Kenneth was against Sweden.

Quite what having a 40-year old as one of our country's best centre backs means is another thing entirely! Berra and McManus are probably our best pairing at the back, the Caldwell brothers and others simply aren't good enough. We badly need Danny Wilson to break through at Liverpool or go on loan so we can use him, he's the future.

says a **** of a lot about Scottish football

In all fairness, it doesn't - Weir never had pace, but his reading of the game is simply on another level. Similar to the great Italian defenders, I actually think he's as good now as he was during his time at Everton. He'll be gone at the end of this season most probably, and Scottish football will be worse for his absence.

Ow dont worry about Danny Wilson... even if he only breaks in liverpool squad at 30 y/o... he will always be apart of the Scotish team... Since Weir is ****** 40..

*Ring Ring*

"Hello George, it's Craig here...looking for a favour, gonnae tell me what didn't work for you in the Scotland job? Why? Cos I'm gonnae do exactly the same..."

Absolute numbskull, I had high hopes for him as well. Get the likes of Darren Barr in the starting XI with Christophe Berra, get Davie Weir many many miles from any Scotland jersey ASAP. He may be a model pro, but we do NOT need old men ruining the future of our national squad.

*Ring Ring*

"Hello George, it's Craig here...looking for a favour, gonnae tell me what didn't work for you in the Scotland job? Why? Cos I'm gonnae do exactly the same..."

Absolute numbskull, I had high hopes for him as well. Get the likes of Darren Barr in the starting XI with Christophe Berra, get Davie Weir many many miles from any Scotland jersey ASAP. He may be a model pro, but we do NOT need old men ruining the future of our national squad.

Barr is not good enough, and may never be - I'd much rather have Weir's experience in there, after all the Sweden game was proof of what happens when an untested centre back steps up from SPL level. We've only got three "good" players at the position as it is: Berra (Wolves),
McManus (Middlesboro) and Wilson (Liverpool). After that, you're looking at the Caldwells, Russell Anderson, god knows who else.

Barr should be given a chance, but not in games of such importance as these.

Come oonnnnn dont be so harsh with the man, hes fockin 40 but tell me, who is better then him that is able to play now? NO ******* ONE!

Weir's alright; we don't have anyone else that's talented enough to warrant his spot.

Come oonnnnn dont be so harsh with the man, hes fockin 40 but tell me, who is better then him that is able to play now? NO ******* ONE!

Id chuck Danny Wilson in tbh...and as for "not for games of such importance as these..." I get your point, but we are playing Lithuania and Liechtenstein for Christ's sake, not Spain and the Czech's.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Here's what I'd play

Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Wilson
Wallace

Snodgrass
D. Fletcher
Dorrans
Adam

Griffiths
S. Fletcher

Give the youth a run out and give them confidence

Id chuck Danny Wilson in tbh...and as for "not for games of such importance as these..." I get your point, but we are playing Lithuania and Liechtenstein for Christ's sake, not Spain and the Czech's.

All the more reason to make sure we take no risks and get 6 points on the board, no? Besides, as we know now Lithuania are no mugs, especially in Vilnius. We'll need to play well to win. I get what you're saying, though.

It's got me thinking though - centre back is easily our worst position overall. Who is ready to step up now, apart from Wilson? Zander Diamond has fell away after looking promising, Garry Kenneth should never pull on a dark blue shirt again, Barr maybe...it's slim pickings looking forward, which is rather worrying.

Mark Reynolds may be an outside shout, but again needs to be given a friendly or two first.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

As for the selection, I'd take no chances with Lithuania, and choose:

McGregor (Gordon isn't fit?)​

Hutton - Weir - Berra - Wallace​

Morrison - Fletcher - Brown - Dorrans - McFadden​

Miller​

For the second game, I'd probably throw in the more inexperienced lads to see what they can do.​

Fair enough regards McGregor, probably performing a lot better than Gordon anyway. I would not let Kenny Miller anywhere near it. Decent player? Yeah ok, but has never done it for Scotland. He misses too many clear cut chances. Fletcher is a proven goalscorer at EPL level now, and Grifiiths may still be playing SFL, but Id give him a bash, natural finisher.

The absolute must for this campaign though, is that Graham Dorrans absolutely HAS TO become a starter and a stalwart in this Scotland team.

Snodgrass should be in Scotland next squad aswell.... Cant believe he aint there....

Totally agree with your Dorrans point, should have been a regular long before now.

The reason I'd put Miller in is because he's a workhorse. When we're away, and probably playing one man up top, Kenny is a great asset for his pace and work rate, constantly harrying the opposition and keeping a hold of the ball. He's not a natural goalscorer, but definitely has a part to play, while as good as Fletch is he's almost as lazy as Boyd at times, so needs a partner up front IMO.

...and yeah, Snodgrass should be in the squad too. Was surprised when I saw he was omitted.

Sad that they have to turn back to him when he is 40 and should have probably retired by now,if Danny Wilson flops at Liverpool,Scottish Football will be in a state

Alcaraz, scotish football cant be worse :p. Losing to Sweden 3-0....