40 y/0 David Weir back in Scotland squad!

• Thread starter Blynd1
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 2K
*Ring Ring*

"Hello George, it's Craig here...looking for a favour, gonnae tell me what didn't work for you in the Scotland job? Why? Cos I'm gonnae do exactly the same..."

Absolute numbskull, I had high hopes for him as well. Get the likes of Darren Barr in the starting XI with Christophe Berra, get Davie Weir many many miles from any Scotland jersey ASAP. He may be a model pro, but we do NOT need old men ruining the future of our national squad.

I don't see how Weir is ruining the national side? Who would you rather play centre back? Caldwell #1 and #2 are terrible. Webster,Berra,Broadfoot and McManus would be my prefered choices, Don't see the harm in having him in? It's not like we play a high line at the back.

I would not let Kenny Miller anywhere near it. Decent player? Yeah ok, but has never done it for Scotland. He misses too many clear cut chances. Fletcher is a proven goalscorer at EPL level now, and Grifiiths may still be playing SFL, but Id give him a bash, natural finisher.

The absolute must for this campaign though, is that Graham Dorrans absolutely HAS TO become a starter and a stalwart in this Scotland team.

Kenny Miller had a great season for Rangers last year and started off really well again this season. 20+ goals last year, 4 in two games this season? Why would you leave him out?

Being a lone striker is not his forte, I agree but lets stick him in there with Boyd, who we know he can play with. Or even Fletcher/Iwelumo who will hold the ball up.

I don't see how you can want Griffiths in there? apart from looking at FM and deciding he is a good player.

Are you quite young? I feel you must be, either that or another bitter Celtic fan with another classic Celtic conspiracy about Scotland and Rangers players.

Alcaraz, scotish football cant be worse :p. Losing to Sweden 3-0....

lol,but no its not as bad as we all think,got some exciting Youth Players coming through the scottish ranks like this lad called Islam Feruz

I don't see how Weir is ruining the national side? Who would you rather play centre back? Caldwell #1 and #2 are terrible. Webster,Berra,Broadfoot and McManus would be my prefered choices, Don't see the harm in having him in? It's not like we play a high line at the back.

Kenny Miller had a great season for Rangers last year and started off really well again this season. 20+ goals last year, 4 in two games this season? Why would you leave him out?

Being a lone striker is not his forte, I agree but lets stick him in there with Boyd, who we know he can play with. Or even Fletcher/Iwelumo who will hold the ball up.

I don't see how you can want Griffiths in there? apart from looking at FM and deciding he is a good player.

Are you quite young? I feel you must be, either that or another bitter Celtic fan with another classic Celtic conspiracy about Scotland and Rangers players.

Okay, I shall address your concerns one by one...

I maybe worded the Weir point quite badly. I dont think that he, himself is ruining the national side...but playing a forty year old man is not in any way constructive towards the future of our national team. Scotland are stuck in a serious rut, and we need to look to the future. In reality, we are not going to qualify for this tournament, and probably not for the next one either. However, with the right development of what we have in terms of decent youngsters, we may have a chance in the future. As I stated above, I believe Davie Weir is a model pro, who has done well throughout a fantastic career, but we need to look at where we will be in another five or six years down the line.
As I also said, Id rather have the likes of Berra, Barr (who I feel will come on leaps and bounds at Hearts), Danny Wilson, perhaps even Andy Webster yeah.

I don't deny for a second that Kenny Miller had a good season at Rangers, as he does most seasons...but you hit the nail on the head yourself...he does not play well in the system that Scotland managers persist with. I would love to see us play with another man up front, but for some reason, the managers seem to feel that we should play for a draw more often than just going out and having a go. Factor in to this the fact that Kenny's goalscoring record for Scotland is poor, and I think that is a really good reason not to play him. The chances in recent years that he has failed to put away (twice through one on one with Buffon, and that sitter against thew Dutch at Hampden), prove my point further.
Steven Fletcher, Leigh Griffiths etc deserve a chance at least, before we go with the tried and tested (and failed) method.

I am amazed at your ignorance in suggesting that the only reason I'd play Griffiths is due to the fact I have "played FM and decided he was decent". If you cast your eyes to the left for a sec, you will see that I support Dunfermline...now, I have seen Leigh Griffiths play on a large number of occasions, both for Livingston and Dundee, and am of the firm belief that he is set to become a top quality striker. The lad has pace, awareness, movement, and his natural ability to finish even a half chance is absolutely second to none in the league. Maybe it is too soon for him, but what is the point in not giving him a chance to prove himself?

Am I young? Why do you ask? Because I form strong opinions on the horrid state of the national side that I love. I am actually 22, and can recall Scotland when we were quite decent. Players like Gary McAllister, Ally McCoist, Colin Hendry, Craig Burley etc, all had a real belief and ability and made Scotland a team to fear. What we have now, makes us a team to laugh at. Perhaps my frustration at that led to frustrated points throughout this thread, but I can assure you I hold my opinions on Scottish football quite strongly.

Celtic fan?? No no no...I laugh daily at Celtic and their conspiracy theories that I read in every newspaper. I have a deep rooted hatred for Celtic actually.

I am amazed at your ignorance in suggesting that the only reason I'd play Griffiths is due to the fact I have "played FM and decided he was decent". If you cast your eyes to the left for a sec, you will see that I support Dunfermline...now, I have seen Leigh Griffiths play on a large number of occasions, both for Livingston and Dundee, and am of the firm belief that he is set to become a top quality striker. The lad has pace, awareness, movement, and his natural ability to finish even a half chance is absolutely second to none in the league. Maybe it is too soon for him, but what is the point in not giving him a chance to prove himself?

While you are a First Division fan, as I was not long ago :)'() surely you wouldn't pick someone from that level for the national team? Griffiths has great potential, don't get me wrong, but the defences that he's up against are dire overall. That's no preparation at all for the top level.

Wait until he gets his move to League 1/Championship level, see how he copes and then pick him...much like Snodgrass and Dorrans actually.

Weir is decent but is past international level
I think this is our strongest Defense ...

Hutton
Berra
Wilson
Wallace

Okay, I shall address your concerns one by one...

I maybe worded the Weir point quite badly. I dont think that he, himself is ruining the national side...but playing a forty year old man is not in any way constructive towards the future of our national team. Scotland are stuck in a serious rut, and we need to look to the future. In reality, we are not going to qualify for this tournament, and probably not for the next one either. However, with the right development of what we have in terms of decent youngsters, we may have a chance in the future. As I stated above, I believe Davie Weir is a model pro, who has done well throughout a fantastic career, but we need to look at where we will be in another five or six years down the line.
As I also said, Id rather have the likes of Berra, Barr (who I feel will come on leaps and bounds at Hearts), Danny Wilson, perhaps even Andy Webster yeah.

I don't deny for a second that Kenny Miller had a good season at Rangers, as he does most seasons...but you hit the nail on the head yourself...he does not play well in the system that Scotland managers persist with. I would love to see us play with another man up front, but for some reason, the managers seem to feel that we should play for a draw more often than just going out and having a go. Factor in to this the fact that Kenny's goalscoring record for Scotland is poor, and I think that is a really good reason not to play him. The chances in recent years that he has failed to put away (twice through one on one with Buffon, and that sitter against thew Dutch at Hampden), prove my point further.
Steven Fletcher, Leigh Griffiths etc deserve a chance at least, before we go with the tried and tested (and failed) method.

Am I young? Why do you ask? Because I form strong opinions on the horrid state of the national side that I love. I am actually 22, and can recall Scotland when we were quite decent. Players like Gary McAllister, Ally McCoist, Colin Hendry, Craig Burley etc, all had a real belief and ability and made Scotland a team to fear. What we have now, makes us a team to laugh at. Perhaps my frustration at that led to frustrated points throughout this thread, but I can assure you I hold my opinions on Scottish football quite strongly.

Celtic fan?? No no no...I laugh daily at Celtic and their conspiracy theories that I read in every newspaper. I have a deep rooted hatred for Celtic actually.

Apologies for the assumption that you were a Celtic fan, I was dismayed by your avatar.

I do not even hate to say it...but I told you so!

/smug

And that goal was the worst thing that could have happened to us...get Levein out!!

David is an awesome Professional, I wish Everton had offered him another contract, he left us to early he still could lead us another few years

/smug

And that goal was the worst thing that could have happened to us...get Levein out!!

we dont need your support mate then support the manager he's just got the job and its the players not leveinXD

Two games through. Fickle, much.

2 games devoid of anything that looks like spark, creativity or an improvement on previous managers.

Every single new manager seems to promise something new, and end up usually playing a 4-5-1 with Miller up on his own and Weir at the back. I'd rather lose the games playing youngsters like Wilson, and building for the future rather than continuing to lose with the older players.

/smug

Yes, it was indeed Davie Weirs fault that Leichstenstein scored when he was 10 yards away and Mccmanus is right in front of the scorer oO)