41212 Diamond - Goals from both strikers and 63% avg possession

wilberto87

Reaction score
Finally managed to create a possession tactic that also gets goals!

This tactic was born on a Forest save where I had Haaland and Esposito up front and it was working incredibly well in the Premier League, but i wanted to see what it was like at lower league level, so gave it a holiday test with my hometown club Chesterfield.

I did sign 4 players, just to strengthen key positions,

Drissa Traore on a free, decent DLP, ended the season with a 7.48 AVG, 5 goals 6 assists from CDM.
Anis Mehmeti on a free, fairly well rounded stats for this level and already fully comfortable at left mid. 7.22 AVG, 9 goals 9 assists as wide playmaker.
Tom Heardman, again free, stats ok for a TM, 6'4 so able to play with the 6'7 Denton and both attack those crosses!! 39 goals, 12 assists, 7.69 AVG.

Joe Gehlhardt!!
Got Wigan as a senior affiliate, they let me have him on loan for free... didn't play much because I had set it to pick the team that I wanted.
Chipped in with 7 goals and 4 assists, spread over 39 appearances, but only 10 starts.

Other key players already at the club,

Joe Rowley, CAM, young and wanted by Championship clubs, tied him down straight away. 14 goals, 22 assists, 7.94 AVG!!!!!!!
Tom Denton, the main man, perfect for the tactic. 6'7, 20 jumping reach, decent mentals, and can finish at this level. 30 goals, 11 assists, 7.53 AVG.
Liam Mandeville, good right sided option, 20 goals, 9 assists, 7.42 AVG.
David Buchanan, ageing left back, rolls back the years... 7.19 average isn't great, but 20 assists is top drawer.

Honorable mention

Matt Tootle, right back on loan from Notts County, he's not in the team sreenshot because his loan ended before I got back off the holiday.
chipped in with 11 assists, 7.3 AVG

The objective is to be the most possession hungry side known to man, playing through the middle until the wing backs overlap, get it out to them and watch them pummel 20+ crosses a game into the box, to the waiting attacking target men.

Both strikers are traditional target men, the advanced playmaker takes all set pieces, so try and get someone decent in the role or adjust the set pieces however you wish, but 27 goals from set pieces in the test says that it's a decent setup...

The CDM needs to have a reasonably high passing and vision stat because usually in my experience he is the one that sets the wing back away.

Wing backs need excellent crossing, doesn't matter too much about dribbling because he doesn't need to beat his man, just cross it!! I do train them with hit crosses early PPM but honestly i'm not convinced the PPMs really do that much this year.

Attached some screenshots of the squad and the results.

Hope some people give this a go, it's definitely the best one I've done this year.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.00.56.png

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.01.04.png
Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.01.12.png
Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.01.22.png

Attachments

• Pass Pass Cross Diamond.fmf
    45.5 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:
Topped almost every table worth topping in team stats for the league also!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.26.20.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.26.20.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 398
You'll want to post this in the Shared Tactics Area as that'll create a resource for it and a discussion page like others there. It will also get much more attention there as well. Once that's done I'll lock this one to prevent confusion.

Has someone tested this tactic? I've uninstall FM 20, but if this tactic maybe I can give a try