5-2-3 back by popular demand :) replicated direct tactic.

DanielKing97

Reaction score
*** Started using this tweaked version from approx half way through second season, will update further once a full season has been complete with it ***

Hey! I posted a tactic for FM18 that was much more popular/successful than I could have anticipated:
(5-3-2, PLAYED 16, WON 16, SCORED 57 CONCEDED 1, 2 STRIKERS )

I've had quite a few similar messages the last few weeks/days about replicating this tactic in FM19, which I thought nothing of at first but seeing as it brought so much enjoyment/success in last years game I thought it would be daft not to give it another go.

I've trialled it with one team only, uploading it now in hope others give it a go with other teams of different qualities. One of my favourite teams on the game is Liverpool FC. First season I played 38, won 29, drew 8, lost 1 (away vs Newcastle!). Lost in FA Cup 3rd round away to local rivals Everton, which was very annoying! Won the League Cup. Champions League I lost in the Semi Final to eventual winners Atletico Madrid! Felt this could have been improved hence not releasing earlier.

Second season in the Premier League I've had exact same record points wise (this time losing only to Man City away, a 93rd minute own goal!!!) , but goal difference +36 better off. Lost the FA Cup final on penalties vs Southampton and played a very weak side in League Cup so knocked out in early rounds. Met Atletico Madrid in the Champions League final but this time won.

Overall happy with this tactic now hence releasing it.

If you are a player that focuses on stats, this is not for you at all. Possession-wise, the opposition will have more than you most games. Even if you're playing against a weaker side and you win 3-0 for example, it's likely they'll have more possession and maybe even more shots than you. This is a VERY direct tactic.

The aim is from the GK to play it out to your CB. CB will then look for a quick, direct ball whether it's straight to your strikers, or to your WB/CM and then onto the striker. IT IS VERY DIRECT. IT IS UNLIKELY YOU WILL HAVE MORE POSSESSION. IT IS A RESULTS TACTIC. :)

I have posted in screenshots the tactic overall, the individual player instructions. The right centre back and left centre back have same instructions. Right wing back and left wing back have same instructions. Right forward and left forward have same instructions.

I leave my opposition instructions to my assistant manager.

I leave the tactical briefings to my assistant manager.

Also leave my training to my assistant manager, except I leave my individual instuctions to myself so I can set up individual position instructions. It's vital you train each player up to play in the role on the tactic, IE Goalkeeper to player GK-defence, CB-BPD-DEFEND, all strikers as Advanced Forwards - ATTACK.

Good luck to all using, would appreciate any feedback and obviously more than happy to trial any proven tweaks!

Last edited:
Hi Daniel, I try your tactic with 2 teams. Boca and KF Rina (Kosovo 3er tier)
Dominate the league with both teams. Really good tactic! It should get more attention!!!

Do you have any screenshots of the team instructions as well?

Used this tactic last year and worked a treat

Loved the dimartino tweak on your tactic for FM18.

For FM19 I'm struggling to find a good, consistent tactics that works well with underdogs as well as top teams. The few tests I have done with your tactic on FM19 have not been promising. Anyone else tested it over time?

I tried it with Fulham. The Tactic works great for me against stronger sides, but I am struggling a little against weaker sides.

I loved this tactic in FM18. It doesn't seem as effective in FM19 though. Have you made any tweaks since posting?

*** Started using this tweaked version from approx half way through second season, will update further once a full season has been complete with it ***

Hey! I posted a tactic for FM18 that was much more popular/successful than I could have anticipated:
(5-3-2, PLAYED 16, WON 16, SCORED 57 CONCEDED 1, 2 STRIKERS )

I've had quite a few similar messages the last few weeks/days about replicating this tactic in FM19, which I thought nothing of at first but seeing as it brought so much enjoyment/success in last years game I thought it would be daft not to give it another go.

I've trialled it with one team only, uploading it now in hope others give it a go with other teams of different qualities. One of my favourite teams on the game is Liverpool FC. First season I played 38, won 29, drew 8, lost 1 (away vs Newcastle!). Lost in FA Cup 3rd round away to local rivals Everton, which was very annoying! Won the League Cup. Champions League I lost in the Semi Final to eventual winners Atletico Madrid! Felt this could have been improved hence not releasing earlier.

Second season in the Premier League I've had exact same record points wise (this time losing only to Man City away, a 93rd minute own goal!!!) , but goal difference +36 better off. Lost the FA Cup final on penalties vs Southampton and played a very weak side in League Cup so knocked out in early rounds. Met Atletico Madrid in the Champions League final but this time won.

Overall happy with this tactic now hence releasing it.

If you are a player that focuses on stats, this is not for you at all. Possession-wise, the opposition will have more than you most games. Even if you're playing against a weaker side and you win 3-0 for example, it's likely they'll have more possession and maybe even more shots than you. This is a VERY direct tactic.

The aim is from the GK to play it out to your CB. CB will then look for a quick, direct ball whether it's straight to your strikers, or to your WB/CM and then onto the striker. IT IS VERY DIRECT. IT IS UNLIKELY YOU WILL HAVE MORE POSSESSION. IT IS A RESULTS TACTIC. :)

I have posted in screenshots the tactic overall, the individual player instructions. The right centre back and left centre back have same instructions. Right wing back and left wing back have same instructions. Right forward and left forward have same instructions.

I leave my opposition instructions to my assistant manager.

I leave the tactical briefings to my assistant manager.

Also leave my training to my assistant manager, except I leave my individual instuctions to myself so I can set up individual position instructions. It's vital you train each player up to play in the role on the tactic, IE Goalkeeper to player GK-defence, CB-BPD-DEFEND, all strikers as Advanced Forwards - ATTACK.

Good luck to all using, would appreciate any feedback and obviously more than happy to trial any proven tweaks!

helo ur tactic works with any team ?