5-2-3 - tested in the lower leagues 13.1.3

• Thread starter Thread starter Fearthainn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 14K
So as no mentality tweaks seemed to be working to produce a stronger home tactic, I thought I had no choice but to go very attacking when it comes to positioning. So I've tried moving my defensive midfielder up to attacking midfielder, behind the 3 strikers. Changed the roles of the CMs slightly as I still wanted to keep some balance.

Here's the first home match using it:

View attachment 286299

As you can see I had 7 CCCs to the opposition's 2. The scoreline was closer than it should have been really. My only good GK is injured so I was using the reserve GK who only has a star and a half, which may explain why he didn't attempt to move for both of the opposition's goals...

Anyway seems good. I started losing 0-1 but turned it around pretty quickly. As soon as I went ahead I reverted back to my original tactic and made it 3-1 in a coutner attack soon after. They made it 3-2 late on but never in doubt! You'll see they were shown a red card but it was only on minute 87.

I'll test this home tactic further tomorrow, hopefully I'm really onto something.

Last edited:
By the way my career in the BSP has been going ok. I'm 8th with 4 matches left. I was predicted to come 21st. Could have done better really, but I've been using most of the season to try out different tactics and tweaks so never really achieved a fluid tactic, except for a few games at the start of the season. I was 2nd after 9 matches but then started toying around.

Next season I'll try to stick to the opening tactic and to this eventual new home tactic and try to achieve promotion. I'll keep you posted regarding any developments...

Yeah I've been tinkering a lot with my QPR and Cambridge saves, fluidity of tactic is a problem! Going well with Cambridge using 5-2-3 tactics, sitting top of the league in November. Just switched to QPR now to try it out at a higher level.

did some more testing yesterday on the changes i mentioned and i've concluded that me and this ME dont think alike (either that or i'm a **** tactician - but i prefer the sound of the first one :P)

so i'm sorry i led you onto a wild goose chase for a better home tactic when you were doing quite well as you were mate, you would've probaby done better in your last season. stick with what you have, because it seems to be working very well for a lot of people. i'll try to do a fair amount of testing before i go around trying to improve someone else's tactic next time!

I've managed to create something I feel could work. It uses this 5-2-3, the Barca 5-2-3, and I've created a hybrid of the two. Will let you know how it goes!

I've managed to create something I feel could work. It uses this 5-2-3, the Barca 5-2-3, and I've created a hybrid of the two. Will let you know how it goes!

sounds good! which barca 523? the tactic from fm12 someone posted on the forum?

sounds good! you still tweaking or are you happy with it? if you're finished, i'd love to test it in the PL

Had a really strange game, basically the first half didn't start, it stuck at kick off for 45 mins. I had 100% possession and passing for 1st half as I had kick off! Managed to win the second half 4-1, home to afc wimbledon.

Had a really strange game, basically the first half didn't start, it stuck at kick off for 45 mins. I had 100% possession and passing for 1st half as I had kick off! Managed to win the second half 4-1, home to afc wimbledon.

lolol never heard of such a situation before! 100% posession in 45 mins? and they say fm13 doesnt suit posession football! :P

View attachment 286417

Results so far using variations of the defensive 5-2-3 and barca 5-2-3. Started using my hybrid since Tranmere game also.

The two most recent draws I conceded in 90+ minutes :( but one was with 10 men

did you use defensive for away and barca for home? you're managing to score a lot of goals, but conceeded 15 in 12 games :( are you using 3 at the back or anchor man in front of 2 CB's?

View attachment 286417

Results so far using variations of the defensive 5-2-3 and barca 5-2-3. Started using my hybrid since Tranmere game also.

The two most recent draws I conceded in 90+ minutes :( but one was with 10 men

that sucks.... hate it when that happens! read this, maybe someone else's misfortune can cheer you up! :P

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Drads

My laptop is currently having a new hard drive fitted, it was broken after i punched said laptop after conceeding from a corner in the 96th minute. It wouldn't be so bad but this is the second time in 18 months :-(

Anyone know of a good anger management course?

Last edited:
Im pretty new to FM
I am currently manager of FC Halifax and want to use this tactic. I'm in my third season still in the blue square bet north. Lost in playoffs both times.
I'm 6 games in and it's not going well with the formation. The players find it awkward. Does this improve the more I use it. Or is there somewhere where I can help them improve??

Im pretty new to FM
I am currently manager of FC Halifax and want to use this tactic. I'm in my third season still in the blue square bet north. Lost in playoffs both times.
I'm 6 games in and it's not going well with the formation. The players find it awkward. Does this improve the more I use it. Or is there somewhere where I can help them improve??

I would personally advise you to only use this on away games, and try your very best to get natural wing backs in the mix, or atleast yellow marked fullbacks as wingbacks if you havn't already, as I know they could come slightly hard to come by in the very low divisions. But other than that, 5 back formations are very solid on this game of that I have learnt so far, but try and get another 5 at the back formation from this site to use for home games then rotate between the two to become un-predictable to the opposition then you should win more gaames by this way. I mean, I took Swindon to the Premier League with back-to-back promotions and winning both of the Divisions respectively, with only 2 loses in the whole of my season in the Championship finishing on 102 points, and this was not on the classic version of the game either. So that truely demonstrates how effective this can be with the right methods. I also recommend you do training on Defending, to tighten it up at the back just in case. Hope this helped matey!

I think playing with 3 DC and 2 WB is the best for FM13. Iuse more or less the same formation (but with a SW) however I just drop on of the strikers in the AMC position and he does wonders :)

Hi Kostasq, that is the exact same formation i want to use, and not been able to get any good result , i wanna play 5-3-1 (wing backs and a SW) like this:
--------SW-------
----CB------CB---
RWB---------LWB
---DLP-----BWM--
-------AMC--------
---DLP------P------

the problem i have is the tactic is so inconsistant, i struggle with the SW settings and CB, ( i always get caught out with quick strikers) the wing backs are always out numbered and when my Mid steps in to help out it leaves a massive gap in the Mid for a simple pass.. i tried adabting the tactic uploaded here to 2 strikers with one AMC and SW.. but not getting any good result.. can any one help?

Hi Kostasq, that is the exact same formation i want to use, and not been able to get any good result , i wanna play 5-3-1 (wing backs and a SW) like this:
--------SW-------
----CB------CB---
RWB---------LWB
---DLP-----BWM--
-------AMC--------
---DLP------P------

the problem i have is the tactic is so inconsistant, i struggle with the SW settings and CB, ( i always get caught out with quick strikers) the wing backs are always out numbered and when my Mid steps in to help out it leaves a massive gap in the Mid for a simple pass.. i tried adabting the tactic uploaded here to 2 strikers with one AMC and SW.. but not getting any good result.. can any one help?

I have exactly the same formation, instead the BWM is drawn to a defensive midfielder position. My results are great with Aston Villa. I have used all kind of formations and I believe this one is the best .the only real tweak I have made is that the DMC and CM have enabled the roam from position option so as tho move to help the wingback. If you need any more details you can PM me

of course since 3-5-2 is not a familiar formation for most teams , they are akward playing it, so I suggest having the training to team cohesion until the team is fluid on formation

Back