5 Considerations when sending a young player out on loan

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is not my guide, all thanks go to Thomas Levin from FM pundit. I have edited and added to it in parts.

When developing your young players to become the future of you club, you take good care of them while they are in your walls. But one strategy of developing these players quicker is to send them on loan for first team experience elsewhere. Therefore you will want the same level of care given to your players when away from the club. It is a good idea to evaluate the side they are leaving for just as much as you would your own training schedules.

1. Will your player get into the first team?

Gaining first team experience has to be the most important aspect of loaning a player out. If the player isn’t going to get regular time on the pitch then they will be better staying with you, with you controlling how much time the player gets in the first team. Consider where they are going to fit into the squad you send them out too. How good are the other players in comparison to your own? When sending your players out on loan for free you will want something in terms of value back, ie regular game time and a stats increase.

2. Send players to playable leagues

The way that Football Manager works when processing non playable leagues, or those not on full detail is to generate results based mainly on the reputation of the clubs involved to save processing power and keep DB size to a minimum. The lack of detail that the game processes in terms of match data will affect the development of the loanee, so the more detail that goes through each game the better it will be for developing your young players.

3. Training facilities

When sending a player out on loan you will want him to develop much quicker then he would if he stayed at home. Once a young player hits 18 or 19, he will be looking to gain first team experience and quickly accelerate his attributes to push for a first team place with you. The better the training facilities he uses, the more likely it is that his attributes will rise quicker. To send him to a club that has substantially poorer training facilities than you might be counter productive, and he may be better off staying with you.

4. Coaching Staff

You will want to trust that your young players are in expert hands when they are away from the club. Take a look at the coaching staff before you allow the player to leave, the coach calculator ( http://bonzollm.net.tc/ ) can give you an idea of how many stars they will have in training. It is most important that they have a balanced team of coaches that will allow development in different areas for your young players. But if you spend alot of time developing your own coaching team, you don’t want that time wasted with the young player experiencing substandard coaching elsewhere.
I think that it would be great if you were able to gain friendships and connections with other coaches, interact with them to ask the coach to concentrate on the development of certain areas when training your player. This may work as a real pull factor when you want to loan people yourself, making agreements to take good players on in order to use the expertise at your club, another way coaching could be improved.

5. Affiliation links

It is handy to consider all of the above when looking for feeder clubs for your side. Having a variety of feeder clubs to loan players out to could make it much easier to work in your own player development strategy, by sending players at different levels of ability to clubs in different leagues. If these clubs are able to offer balanced coaching with reasonable training facilities to develop a young player, whilst giving plenty of first team action to him it is much easier to handle your development strategy using affiliations.
Loaning players can be of considerable benefit to the clubs that get an extra player to bolster their squad. But loans should also have a benefit for you, to help squad management and development when looking for long term success.

What do you look for when loaning out your player?

Do you consider the way your player is able to develop at different types of clubs? What do you look for in the loaning teams squad before accepting bids? Please share your tips on loaning players out or discuss the ones above in the comment section below!

Last edited:
This pretty much sums up the important aspects that I onsider myself for loaning out players.
Although I hardly ever go as far as calculating coaching stats, I mostly send them on short terms loans to see how my players progress, and when it works out they can have him for the whole season.

One more tip for loaning is a more sneaky one for lower teams:
When you have a good player that you really want to keep, but that is attracting interest from much bigger clubs, it works a lot of the time to loan him out instead of selling him - or preventing the board to accept an offer over your head.
That way you can either keep him in your squad if you are close to getting promoted, and so have him in the next season, or if not, it most always helps to increase his market value before you sell him a season later.

nice little tip what about if you get some one in ur club from the 1st team say like rooney for exaple to teach some 1 like wellbeck dose that have effect

If u choose not to loan out, be sure u provide a tutor for your youngster...
and u must choose carefully who to be who tutor, coz it will be a waste....

Most players i just loan out to whoever wants them, except my up and coming stars.

The other teams tactics is something else i keep an eye on, primary tactic. I like my youngsters to play at a team with similar tactics to my own, so they get an idea of the way i play. Another is the country they play in. Why send them to france or belgium when there going to be playing in england or spain? the way the leagues play are completely different, and tempo's are very different between them, do you want your midfielder playing the defensive role he would in italy, when your playing fluent attacking football in spain?

Hi Guys thanks for the comments and for sharing the article, although next time Jake could you possibly send a link back to the original source, if anyone wants to checkout more at FM Pundit please go to http://www.fmpundit.com

I think using the coaching calculator is something that really isn't needed, as long as you get a general idea of what attributes are used in coaching to get the best in particular areas of coaching, you can take a quick look, just to make sure that the coaches are balanced well in each area.

Micky, great tip in keeping players happy, although I might be more inclined to use these important players in the search for promotion and/or sell them on in order help better the squad and prepare them for a new league.

Riddick I am not sure how the tactics of another side or the style of play will actually affect your young players that much, I know what you mean in real life these should really be things to consider, but I think Football Manager is yet to be that sophisticated. Instead you just want them to get some time on the pitch and you players attributes to develop quicker which I think will happen no matter how they are played.

added a hyperlink to OP thomas

Cheers Jacob Miller :wub: will certainly come in handy.

Micky, great tip in keeping players happy, although I might be more inclined to use these important players in the search for promotion and/or sell them on in order help better the squad and prepare them for a new league.

Well, the "keep player happy" thingy was something I discovered by accident.
I was basically in late February, and a player I had previously bought was becoming really unhappy, and his value from when I signed him to now had dropped to less than a third f what I paid for him.
He was absent from training, etc etc, and I still refuse to sell a player for less than I paid if they are still young, so I loaned him to a Premiere league team (while leading myself in the Championship), and his morale improved, his value improved, and at the end of the season he was happy again and played really well for my side for two more years.

Anyway, Thomas, good work on the original thread, and thanks Jake for the additions and positing it here.

Brilliant Jake, although the credit goes to Thomas Levin, this is really well put together and I'll tell you what it helped me, mate.

It`s fantastic and is works my young `GUNS` Are very good

It always gives me a headache when players breaks into the age of 19, cuz i do not know if i should be playing them in my 1st team or send them out on loan(which is usually an epic failure to me lol). Thx for sharing the info, i will take this points into consideration nw, though its a little hassle ^^!

Does tutoring really help, because in my personal case it has led to more conflicts in the squad rather than any benefit?

i only use 'legends' as tutors, ie really experienced players who are model professionals, eg giggs, scholes, van der sar, carragher would be good i imagine.

tutoring a youngster with any old player will probably casue problems.

Last edited:
thanks - this is exaclty what i was looking for.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

by the way. kind of obvious, but i only accept loan offers if they offer my player a role as a valuable player for the first team. i will always reject offers for my player to be a back-up.
that way he is guaranteed first team football.

thanks - this is exaclty what i was looking for.

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------[/COLOR]

by the way. kind of obvious, but i only accept loan offers if they offer my player a role as a valuable player for the first team. i will always reject offers for my player to be a back-up.
that way he is guaranteed first team football.

Me too unless I am planning to sell the player because either they aren 't as good as I thought or they haven't developed enough.